DAP/Amp/DAC combo, or separates?
Oct 26, 2010 at 5:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Golden Monkey

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm contemplating a new portable rig, and wondering which would be best, in terms of SQ and cost effectiveness/bang for the buck (not so much portability)  :

1) an all-in-one box, like a HiFiMAN HM-602.  Integrated storage, amp, and DAC.
2) a DAP with digital outs, and an amp/DAC with digital ins, like an iBasso D12.
3) a DAP with LOD feeding an integrated DAC/amp combo (again, like the iBasso D12, or...?).
4) a nice DAP with standard LOD and an RSA P-51 Mustang amp (no DAC in this setup, other than in the DAP)

This would be a rig driving either Ety ER-4s, Sennheiser IE8s, or ATH ES10s, and if possible the occasional HD650 around the house, so selectable gain is preferable (otherwise let's assume lower impedance phones).  It wouldn't be necessary to have USB input, or bypassable/defeatable DAC sections.  I'm open to suggestions, as everyone has favorites, lol.  For 2-4 I could definitely use some advice regarding DAP selection...I haven't really even looked at any since my Zen Xtra from a few years back.  That player is still a viable option, but cannot play lossless formats.  I'm about to rebuild/rerip my CD collection, and can go either 320k MP3 or lossless, so I'm not picky in this regard.  Thanks in advance for any help you can give!

Oct 26, 2010 at 11:21 PM Post #2 of 2
If portability is not so much a concern, then I will go with the Ipod family as a DAP and then line out to the Cyther Solo. From there you can go to a DAC if you want, or go directly to an amp of your choice. Very flexible rig but you will have to wait for the Solo to come out. This will give you the best SQ and the ability to upgrade in the future. Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back