Dangerous Music Source DAC
Mar 13, 2014 at 12:48 PM Post #76 of 309
I am still loving mine. Like a true audiophile, I have still been searching for something better. I picked up a Meier Audio StageDac and Concerto headphone amp. These are two separate units. Honestly, I have been going back and forth trying to decide which setup sounds better. On certain songs it sound like the Meier equipment is better, and on others, it sounds like the Source. BOTH sound absolutely fantastic in all genres. I think the Meier is slightly better with classical and jazz, while the Source is slightly better with rock. I've probably spent 5 hours comparing the units, and still need to do more before I decide what I am going to keep.  I might decide to keep the source over the Meier even if the Meier equipment ends up being slightly better due to the portability of the Source.

There is just no way you can go wrong with the Source.

Mar 13, 2014 at 1:35 PM Post #77 of 309
  I am still loving mine. Like a true audiophile, I have still been searching for something better. I picked up a Meier Audio StageDac and Concerto headphone amp. These are two separate units. Honestly, I have been going back and forth trying to decide which setup sounds better. On certain songs it sound like the Meier equipment is better, and on others, it sounds like the Source. BOTH sound absolutely fantastic in all genres. I think the Meier is slightly better with classical and jazz, while the Source is slightly better with rock. I've probably spent 5 hours comparing the units, and still need to do more before I decide what I am going to keep.  I might decide to keep the source over the Meier even if the Meier equipment ends up being slightly better due to the portability of the Source.

There is just no way you can go wrong with the Source.

This thing is actually portable. In the back slot alone, I can fit my 15 macbook pro and the source and still have space left for a few documents...all in the last slot alone. FWIW.

I don't know how people are using their Source on head-fi. I am guessing for most people it's a desktop rig. I think if I went with Emotiva Stealth DC-1, it would've been harder to carry it around because of it's dimensions.

I am finding the Source to be highly dependent on the source files. I know there's better stuff out there, but finding all these specific features, in this size, at this price...it ended up being an easy decision. The only thing the DC-1 has over the Source is the remote control.

Mar 13, 2014 at 1:38 PM Post #78 of 309

I am finding the Source to be highly dependent on the source files. I know there's better stuff out there, but finding all these specific features, in this size, at this price...it ended up being an easy decision. The only thing the DC-1 has over the Source is the remote control.

Benchmark DAC2 - and you also get a remote 
biggrin.gif

Mar 13, 2014 at 2:08 PM Post #79 of 309
Mar 13, 2014 at 2:12 PM Post #80 of 309
Then go for a DAC1 non HCG, it's about the same price, but no remote.

Mar 13, 2014 at 6:17 PM Post #82 of 309
It's a shame the source has yet to get reviewed as an "audiophile" equipment and only gets press from "pro equipment" reviewers.

Strangely, it's very much overlooked by audiophiles. Very odd, considering it sounds every bit as good as the Benchmark DAC2 and has a kickass amp. The Lynx Hilo is better known, but is also a studio animal and audiophiles will never use 80% of its functions.

Mar 13, 2014 at 11:19 PM Post #84 of 309
The dac scales nicely with an outboard amp too. I have no desire to change anything on the current rig.
 "Upgradeitis is in remission."

Mar 13, 2014 at 11:52 PM Post #85 of 309
I read a ton on the Emotiva DC-1. While the DAC was highly praised the amp section was not as warmly received. Not so with the Source. Both the DAC and amp sections seem to receive high marks. SQ is most important but the I/O options of the Source are exceptional and impressive. The lights are pretty cool too. 
bigsmile_face.gif

Mar 14, 2014 at 4:03 AM Post #86 of 309
Kinda off topic but what sub $500 headphones do you all enjoy with your Source? My Grado MS2i sound a tad thin. I'm looking for a smidge more bass.
Moreover, I'm happy to see the DM community growing at head-fi.

Mar 14, 2014 at 4:28 AM Post #87 of 309
Kinda off topic but what sub $500 headphones do you all enjoy with your Source? My Grado MS2i sound a tad thin. I'm looking for a smidge more bass.

In case you missed it from all my previous posts...the Denon AH-D2000. I'm guessing other Denon AH-DX000 and TH-600 will work quite well.

The bass is really deep and well controlled. Not boomy at all. Best part about it is the treble. I simply can't get it to sound fatiguing. Only the volume does that. For music, I can do better. Although for watching movies or watching shows, the D2000 with Source is amazing at it's price point. I prefer my Denons to the HE-500, LCD-2, LCD-3 for movies and shows.

Between the Denons and Mackies, it's bass galore all the time. It really pays off when you listen at low to mid levels - the bass is always there.

Mar 14, 2014 at 1:17 PM Post #88 of 309
Does anyone know if you can get a line level output from the XLRs? Ideally I would run my XLR out to a balanced recording device and the unbalanced to my bryston Amp.

Mar 14, 2014 at 3:23 PM Post #90 of 309

You might wanna try flat pads on them as they enhance bass. You can get them from TTVJ audio.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back