Dang auto-makers
Dec 23, 2002 at 4:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

CaptBubba

Not dumb enough fora custom title...so he thought.
I spent a while today installing a newer radio into a 1993 ford explorer. I figured it would be a plug-in replacement affair as I already had the wiring harnesses for ford vehicles.

Turns out the explorer has "premium sound". This means that the radio is little more than a preamp, leaving an outboard amp to drive the speakers. I'm all fine with this, but couldn't they have put it in an easy to find location?! Like behind the radio or something. I want to use the internal amp of the new dash unit I have (40W/ch), because I think the other amp is causing distortion in one speaker. I can't find it! I think I've traced the wires to the passenger side cargo area, and I suppose the amp is above the wheel well, but I can't figure out how to get to it! I may just cut the wires and connect the speakers up, or just give up.

I wish auto manufacturers, and other companies for that matter, would keep in mind that people often want to replace the OEM parts, and at least make them accessable.

Sorry, just frustrated, allthough the radio/cdp is tons better than the Ford unit, even using ford's amp. I worry about driving an amp with an amp, however

Dec 23, 2002 at 4:36 AM Post #2 of 6
Have you tried giving crutchfield a call? I did a headunit install a few days ago. There was nothing tricky(seperate amps), but crutchfield's instructions made it very easy.

Try it out!

Dec 23, 2002 at 4:43 AM Post #3 of 6
I overhauled the audio in a 2001 Ford Cobra a couple of months ago. I tried to use the existing deck and amps, only to discover some very unusual things going on in there. One of the odd things was that I could not find an audio signal going to the amps. I found the signal cables, but no signal. Digital to the amp, I suspect. I also discovered that the signal was crossed over at 500hz, with the deck driving some pathetic 2" speakers above that frequency, and the amps driving those goofy 6x8 in mono below 500. I finally went on a rampage and yanked every single shred of the factory system (including the harnesses) out of that car! Premium sound my azs!

My advice would be to yank the factory junk and start over with useful components. Honestly, I believe that manufacturers would earn more points by wiring their vehicles to facilitate aftermarket audio, and leaving out the joke components. That is just my opinion, of course.

gerG

Dec 23, 2002 at 4:50 AM Post #4 of 6
I only worry about the possibility of selling it in the future, and rewiring everything would be bad.

Also I don't want to spend money. I was hoping to just be able to jumper over the amp, but I can't find it! Knowing the way these things are constructed it will use propietary input-output plugs, so I can't just cross over the thing.

Dec 23, 2002 at 10:37 PM Post #5 of 6
disconnect your speaker wires, and leave them there. then run new wires to the new unit from the old speakers. leave all of the old harness in it's place.

when you sell your car, reinstall the old unit, reconnect the old speaker leads. that's it.

Dec 24, 2002 at 5:42 AM Post #6 of 6
Heya bubba .

Every vehicle I have ever owned I replaced the system .

When purchasing a new car ALWAYS buy it with the stereo option . Not because the system is good but because you will not get the sound treatment panels .

No crap , a vehicle that does not come out of "the yard" with the system as an option has no cutouts for the speakers (yeah , they are there but not cut out) , nor willit have the sound "deadening" panels installed .

Once you have the basicsh*t you can pull he "head unit" and replace the speakers without much trouble.

But if you bump up the power rating of the amp by much (as in a true RMS rating over 10 watts) run a direct connection to the battery terminal with an inline fuse . 18 guage will work fine though 12 is better

The battery canhandle what you dish out but the fuse block can fry !
And I mean possible fire ! Really !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back