Dan Clark Audio EXPANSE Review: Interview, Measurements, Impressions
Nov 11, 2023 at 3:51 PM Post #2,431 of 2,594
This post feels somewhat … disloyal? … given how vigorously I’ve praised other cans, but

Expanse might be the best

One Can to Rule Them All

given my musical preferences & chain

Volumio Primo ==> mTT2 ==> DSHA-3F ==> Expanse

I use cross-fade 1 on my TT2
Amusing: I was thinking … Hey, what about Atrium?

So put them on … Yeah, these are great!

Then El Dorado by James Wilsey, and that guitar is just too ‘clangy’ from Atrium, but not from Expanse.

Not really criticizing Atrium. But every time X headphone has struggled with a track, Expanse has done better.

Nov 11, 2023 at 5:29 PM Post #2,433 of 2,594
does someone here knows if Topping DX7 Pro Plus could drive Expanse? Or Meze Elite is a better choice for this dac amp combo from topping?
It’s been a long time since i listened to the DX7 Pro. But I don’t believe it would be a good match for Expanse from memory. But would be fine with Elite. But I would wait until all the reviews and perceptions of the new Empyrean 2 come in.

Nov 11, 2023 at 6:49 PM Post #2,434 of 2,594
Amusing: I was thinking … Hey, what about Atrium?

So put them on … Yeah, these are great!

Then El Dorado by James Wilsey, and that guitar is just too ‘clangy’ from Atrium, but not from Expanse.

Not really criticizing Atrium. But every time X headphone has struggled with a track, Expanse has done better.
I weirdly found a lot of overlap between Atrium and Expanse. They were a lot more similar than I was expecting. I think they actually have similar tuning, despite the differences in tech. Mostly neutral, bass forward but natural, and sweet treble. But the Expanse is technically like 2-3 levels up. Much like you, when I went back and forth, the Expanse won almost every time. The Atrium is a great headphone, and makes for a fun listen; Expanse is a fun listen because it puts you in the recording booth.

Nov 11, 2023 at 9:15 PM Post #2,435 of 2,594
I weirdly found a lot of overlap between Atrium and Expanse. They were a lot more similar than I was expecting. I think they actually have similar tuning, despite the differences in tech. Mostly neutral, bass forward but natural, and sweet treble. But the Expanse is technically like 2-3 levels up. Much like you, when I went back and forth, the Expanse won almost every time. The Atrium is a great headphone, and makes for a fun listen; Expanse is a fun listen because it puts you in the recording booth.
I actually had an Elite and went back-and-forth vs Atrium. Similar feelings to what you expressed re: Atrium/Expanse. Mostly kept Atrium due to the $500/$600 more I could get for the Elites at the time.

Plus, I luvs me some Cocobolo :)

I had a Caldera loaner before the Expanse showed up. I liked them, but not enough to go $3.5k+. $2400 for my Expanse was more palatable.

Nov 12, 2023 at 4:00 AM Post #2,436 of 2,594
Nov 12, 2023 at 3:05 PM Post #2,437 of 2,594
Nov 17, 2023 at 2:02 PM Post #2,438 of 2,594
Just chiming in again for another update on how much I love my Expanse. Recently demoed a Meze Elite vs my Expanse because I always loved the smooth sound of my old Empyrean and thought the Elite might be a good way to get that again but with better performance. Wrong. Was fully expecting the Elite to sound more musical than my Expanse but even in that sense I preferred my Expanse. I don't think there was a single thing I liked better about the Elite actually. Songs that were supposed to be intimate were more intimate on the Expanse and yet when it was called for the Expanse was also more roomy and airy. A neat magic trick somehow being better at opposing needs.

One stand out was Playing God by Polyphia. There's a part early on in the track where the guitar strings basically zip back and forth left/right that was a real WOW moment on the Expanse where it was so airy and holographic, almost sounded supernatural. And then on the Elite the experience was more "ok, there's strings panning back and forth."

So yeah, it's clear I don't need an Elite. I did however just buy a used Susvara to compare to the Expanse. That's one that always bugged me, not really knowing for sure if that's one I might prefer more. Imo they're both fighting over the same role and I would consider the Susvara the Expanse's direct competitor more than any other headphone. Still listening and trying to see which I prefer. Picked up some Van Alstine 300W monoblocks as well, so neither will be lacking power :race_car:

Nov 17, 2023 at 3:04 PM Post #2,440 of 2,594
I also did a direct comparison between the Expanse and the Elite on a friend's Woo Wa23. It made my decision easy, bought the Expanse. It wasn't even close.
Interesting. I enjoyed my time with Elite, but found myself preferring the musicality of the Atrium, although that's was a bit of an apples-and-horseshoes comparison. At the time, finances were such that I could only keep one.

The only real negative I had w/ the Elite was that it didn't play well with all my amps -- I wonder if Elite is 'amp-picky'. To be clear, I never had Elite and Expanse at the same time, so never A/B'd them. And audio memory ... :)

...he says as he's listening at work to PC ==> Liquid Gold X ==> HD-6XX

Nov 17, 2023 at 4:12 PM Post #2,441 of 2,594
Interesting. I enjoyed my time with Elite, but found myself preferring the musicality of the Atrium, although that's was a bit of an apples-and-horseshoes comparison. At the time, finances were such that I could only keep one.

The only real negative I had w/ the Elite was that it didn't play well with all my amps -- I wonder if Elite is 'amp-picky'. To be clear, I never had Elite and Expanse at the same time, so never A/B'd them. And audio memory ... :)

...he says as he's listening at work to PC ==> Liquid Gold X ==> HD-6XX
The Elite is definitely a good headphone, no doubt. If I had heard it on its own, I'd like it.
But directly next to the Expanse it was clearly lesser to my ears. Sometimes I'll buy a "worse" headphone because it fills a hole in my collection by doing one or two things uniquely well but in this case I couldn't find anything about it I preferred over the Expanse.

Nov 17, 2023 at 5:11 PM Post #2,442 of 2,594
The Elite is definitely a good headphone, no doubt. If I had heard it on its own, I'd like it.
But directly next to the Expanse it was clearly lesser to my ears. Sometimes I'll buy a "worse" headphone because it fills a hole in my collection by doing one or two things uniquely well but in this case I couldn't find anything about it I preferred over the Expanse.
I have both and I also prefer Expanse to Elite because it sounds more complete to me, like nothing is missing and I can shuffle around any genre of music. I do prefer mids and highs of Elite to Expanse, but the bass is just not there (I use angled pads, but I'm eager to try new duo pads).

However I wouldn't say that Expanse is a "better" headphone. Soundstage, details, imaging - I'd say they are on par with each other and it really comes down to listening preferences.

Nov 22, 2023 at 11:21 PM Post #2,443 of 2,594
Hey guys, I'm thinking of selling my Ether 2 to fund an upgrade to a DCA Stealth OR Expanse (leaning toward expanse since it's open backed).

Anyone able to briefly describe what Stealth vs Expanse sounds like for those who've owned both? Also would love to know how you feel the Ether 2 compares to the Expanse. I'm assuming it's a step up but would love to hear some general thoughts on whether it's an upgrade/ side grade / tuning difference etc.

I plan on using this on a Schiit Lyr+ .. I'm hoping this will be a good amp pairing with the DCA Expanse.. Anyone out there try this combo? If so, how was it?

Thanks!

Nov 23, 2023 at 3:58 AM Post #2,444 of 2,594
Hey guys, I'm thinking of selling my Ether 2 to fund an upgrade to a DCA Stealth OR Expanse (leaning toward expanse since it's open backed).

Anyone able to briefly describe what Stealth vs Expanse sounds like for those who've owned both? Also would love to know how you feel the Ether 2 compares to the Expanse. I'm assuming it's a step up but would love to hear some general thoughts on whether it's an upgrade/ side grade / tuning difference etc.

I plan on using this on a Schiit Lyr+ .. I'm hoping this will be a good amp pairing with the DCA Expanse.. Anyone out there try this combo? If so, how was it?

Thanks!
My Expanse should arrive later today and I can offer a comparison. I consider the Stealth a step up from even the HE-1 (in the right setup), so I have no doubt you will find it better than the Ether 2.

Nov 23, 2023 at 10:28 AM Post #2,445 of 2,594
No burn in, but great first impressions. I might be in the Expanse camp. Weirdly enough I find the top end a bit more extended on the Stealth atm. Though that might just be because of the relationship with the low end.

Expanse_Stealth.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back