Dan Clark Audio EXPANSE Review: Interview, Measurements, Impressions
Sep 15, 2022 at 5:56 AM Post #272 of 2,599
Try out the intro to ā€œMoney for nothingā€ from dire straights with volume set at your higher end preferred volume and A/B them.

This is my sibilance test, on many bright cans (Focal imho) the end of the ramped intro is downright painful, but Stealth/Expanse imo tend not to allow the pain threshold be reached. Maximum velocity about 1:35 but let the whole intro play.

Keen to hear your thoughts here.
Happen to wake up in the middle of the night so why not listen to headphones.

I donā€™t know which master I have but I do think it was a better one because someone brought it to a headphone meet and Iā€™m playing that copy vs Qobuz stream. I listened with the Expanse and it does get bright at that spot and got worried itā€™s going to get too loud but I handled it. No sibilance. But louder than Iā€™d prefer. Just tried the the Utopia and also no sibilance in my setup.

The biggest differences between the two it the Focal appear to be slightly warmer but really itā€™s the extra clarity the Expanse has to gives you that idea. Everything comes thru with the Expanse and it all so clean. I was still slightly worried about bass impact, so Iā€™m threw on The Prodigy - Breath. All the details are there and thereā€™s impact but sort of seems lacking to what I remember, however when I switched back to the Utopia, the impact was actually the same. They also seem to have less impact than I remembered. I just now think they are a hint muddier in comparison. Positions are not as razor sharp and details are masked. But remember, this is comparison.

So I still need to wrap my head around the bass impact since itā€™s playing tricks on me. My brain just automatically thinks the Utopia has more impact but in direct comparison, itā€™s the same. I should probably also go back to bed. Maybe a few more tracks.

Trying to Prodigy - Diesel Power that has a strong bass line throughout. Itā€™s actually sounding better with the Expanse. Same amount of punch but itā€™s tighter. Essentially with the Expanse it seems everything is equally detailed and clear across the entire spectrum.

And for anyone thatā€™s worried, the Naim HE is doing an excellent job. Has more than enough power and bass perfectly controlled. Remember, I prefer this over the Chord Dave/mscaler because it has a fuller and more enjoyable sound. I see that coming thru with the Expanse. The Dave is probably amazing if you add an amp to it but I get fed up with messy setups. Hereā€™s a pic of how simple and nice my setup is with the Focal Utopia. But have a feeling they may be going :). The rest stays.

310B197B-0CE7-49F1-8B26-F1273BADDBBF.jpeg

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2022 at 6:05 AM Post #273 of 2,599
Happen to wake up in the middle of the night so why not listen to headphones.

I donā€™t know which master I have but I do think it was a better one because someone brought it to a headphone meet and Iā€™m playing that copy vs Qobuz stream. I listened with the Expanse and it does get bright at that spot and got worried itā€™s going to get too loud but I handled it. No sibilance. But louder than Iā€™d prefer. Just tried the the Utopia and also no sibilance in my setup.

The biggest differences between the two it the Focal appear to be slightly warmer but really itā€™s the extra clarity the Expanse has to gives you that idea. Everything comes thru with the Expanse and it all so clean. I was still slightly worried about bass impact, so Iā€™m threw on The Prodigy - Breath. All the details are there and thereā€™s impact but sort of seems lacking to what I remember, however when I switched back to the Utopia, the impact was actually the same. They also seem to have less impact than I remembered. I just now think they are a hint muddier in comparison. Positions are not as razor sharp and details are masked. But remember, this is comparison.

So I still need to wrap my head around the bass impact since itā€™s playing tricks on me. My brain just automatically thinks the Utopia has more impact but in direct comparison, itā€™s the same. I should probably also go back to bed. Maybe a few more tracks.
Howā€™s soundstage and imaging compared to utopia?

Sep 15, 2022 at 6:22 AM Post #274 of 2,599
Howā€™s soundstage and imaging compared to utopia?
Overall everything is generally in the same place as far I can tell. Think the Expanse is starting to feel bigger because itā€™s has more air between everything and even easier to place instruments. Nothing is masked. But itā€™s still a close and intimate experience, which is actually my preference. I like the feeling of being in the front row but having that 3D experience from there. Donā€™t want to be 5 rows back. I have no idea how all this compares to other headphones. Iā€™d imagine other can do an overall bigger soundstage but that wouldnā€™t be my preference. This seems perfect. But I also never had any issue with the Utopia except when tried on original Hugo, that was closed in. The Naim HE seems to have as good of a soundstage as my Chord Dave setup as far as memory.

Ok, back to bed. 3:30 in the morning here.

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2022 at 6:43 AM Post #275 of 2,599
So, the prices have been updated in Germany:

1663228499520.png
Really sad to see that the markup for european customers is now even bigger than for Audeze products.

Oh well guess that's how T+A customers feel from the other side of the pond.

Sep 15, 2022 at 7:12 AM Post #276 of 2,599
@Currawong I'm watching your expanse video now and the part at the start where you show off the nitinol headband by madly twisting the headphones around made me physically cringe. Lol!

Good to know they'll stand up to any kind of abuse and props to DCA for making such a solid product as it seems a lot of things nowadays are made like garbage!

Sep 15, 2022 at 9:30 AM Post #277 of 2,599
So finally put the Utopia on and they sound funny after listening to the Expanse. They do sound slightly similar as far as separation and soundstage and general tone. The Expanse seems to have better precision and clarity. A touch dryer. Surprisingly impact was about the same on Strokes song.

And now switching back to the Expanse, it sounds better than the Utopia, especially the precision. And now sound just as sweet. Very interesting how my perception is changing. Or the headphone is breaking in.
Your brain is taking time to adjust and it has nothing to do with your equipment. My several year old LCD3s sounded funny every time I switched from my several year old HD800 and vice-versa.

Sep 15, 2022 at 9:37 AM Post #278 of 2,599
Agreed. Hard to believe there are still people who believe in burn-in (excepting ā€œbrain burn-inā€), especially for planars.

Sep 15, 2022 at 9:40 AM Post #279 of 2,599
Really sad to see that the markup for european customers is now even bigger than for Audeze products.

Oh well guess that's how T+A customers feel from the other side of the pond.
Welcome to the new world.

Sep 15, 2022 at 10:35 AM Post #280 of 2,599
Some updates for the fellow EU buyers. :) I also called the company in Netherlands @m-i-c-k-e-y sent above and unfortunately the price will go up to the same level as the other dealers soon. They also honor the DCA Club 15% reduction, but of course from the original price of 4900ā‚¬, as it has to go through the distributor which is managing the process.
I just received the price list. Confirmation that MSRP is 4499ā‚¬ in EU (at least in France and the Netherlands :wink:

Sep 15, 2022 at 10:39 AM Post #281 of 2,599
Your brain is taking time to adjust and it has nothing to do with your equipment. My several year old LCD3s sounded funny every time I switched from my several year old HD800 and vice-versa.
Yeah, think similar for anyone that had to wear progressive glasses. You put those on and almost have a headache. Takes a week or two for your brain to adjust and then weird not wearing them. I just had eye surgery and no longer need glasses except for reading and Iā€™m still adjusting to that. Itā€™s like I now have an 8k tv inside my head. Walking around is like seeing things for the first time. Noticing all the details.

For the Expanse, just think my brain didnā€™t know how to interpret the new sounds right away. I went back to those Radiohead tracks and they now sound amazing. Jazz sounds especially nice since the amazing separation really brings that music to life.

Most likely putting my Utopia up for sale. Iā€™ll do some more testing and have my wife see if she has a preference. As far as comfort, slight win to the Expanse. Itā€™s lighter but has a little more clamping force. I do love that automatically adjust without having to slide the cups. And the cable is 10x lighter and more flexible than my Danacable. Think Iā€™ll stick with the stock cable since balance and resolution are already maxed out. What would another do?

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2022 at 11:05 AM Post #282 of 2,599
Thanks to DCA for the super fast shipping. I got my Expanse in record time while being two continents away.

I just unpacked them, but the Expanse has some tough contenders!

Looking forward to hear your thoughts when you feel the Expanse has broken in and have some time to A/B. :)
Most of the comparisons so far have been with the Stealth, AB1266-TC and Utopia, which I havenā€™t personally heard any of them, yet.
Especially interested in how the Expanse fairs against Diana V2, LCD-5, and Susvara.

Sep 15, 2022 at 11:13 AM Post #283 of 2,599
Yeah, think similar for anyone that had to wear progressive glasses. You put those on and almost have a headache. Takes a week or two for your brain to adjust and then weird not wearing them. I just had eye surgery and no longer need glasses except for reading and Iā€™m still adjusting to that. Itā€™s like I now have an 8k tv inside my head. Walking around is like seeing things for the first time. Noticing all the details.

For the Expanse, just think my brain didnā€™t know how to interpret the new sounds right away. I went back to those Radiohead tracks and they now sound amazing. Jazz sounds especially nice since the amazing separation really brings that music to life.

Most likely putting my Utopia up for sale. Iā€™ll do some more testing and have my wife see if she has a preference. As far as comfort, slight win to the Expanse. Itā€™s lighter but has a little more clamping force. I do love that automatically adjust without having to slide the cups. And the cable is 10x lighter and more flexible than my Danacable. Think Iā€™ll stick with the stock cable since balance and resolution are already maxed out. What would another do?
If Iā€™m listening at home Iā€™m listening on Wywires platinum copper cable. It takes DCA products to a new level while keeping the warmth that these need IMO. If you can imagine further decongesting and further resolving these headphones thatā€™s what Iā€™ve found from Wywires.

Sep 15, 2022 at 11:17 AM Post #284 of 2,599
Hi, has anyone had a chance to compare Expanse to LCD-5? Would love to know to help better understand if they are a fit. Also, using Hugo 2 as my main driver...primarily portable setup at the moment. Will Hugo 2 shine for Expanse? Thank you!!

Not till Saturday.

Sep 15, 2022 at 11:23 AM Post #285 of 2,599
As someone that has often had quarrels with pure subjectivists on these forums and even tried to start a new thread called "Yes, objectivists do confirm their decisions by listening...", I may not agree on this at least for the mechanical properties of the drivers. I don't have any background on the engineering and properties of the materials used with Stealth. I was also surprised but I did some blind and couple test and we came to the same conclusion in multiple attempts. There is currently no difference between the two, but I was surprised to hear a slight difference between my Stealth that had hundreds of hours on it and another newish Stealth. My posts are here and here. Is it the pads? Is it the drivers? I don't know.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back