Dan Clark Audio E3 Review: Interview, Measurements, Impressions
Mar 12, 2024 at 3:17 AM Post #1,486 of 1,959
I tested with the Kann ULTRA, not good at all, with the Shanling M9 Plus it was much better but too bright, too much dynamics, not really well balanced.
I think it can be fixed maybe with a new cable, Vivo is too Harsh and Blue Dragon increase dynamics and details which do not help at all…

Mar 12, 2024 at 6:22 AM Post #1,487 of 1,959
I tested with the Kann ULTRA, not good at all, with the Shanling M9 Plus it was much better but too bright, too much dynamics, not really well balanced.
I think it can be fixed maybe with a new cable, Vivo is too Harsh and Blue Dragon increase dynamics and details which do not help at all…
or R2R / 1-bit DSD further back up the chain.
I think Sabre and Chord are a double dose of what the can does not need - to my ears anyway....or euphonic tubes in front of Sabre/Chord for the upper region sensitive listener.

Mar 12, 2024 at 5:53 PM Post #1,490 of 1,959
Actually… I started experimenting with my Lokius on these, boosting 20Hz and 16kHz slightly… bringing the E3 en par with my recollection of the subtle sound differences the Stealth had to offer 😉
(albeit, not changing the fit 😇)

Mar 13, 2024 at 6:58 AM Post #1,491 of 1,959
Going to try these side-by-side with Stealth, Expanse and Empyrean 2+Empyrean elite in the coming days. Quite exciting from reading the thread. I've tried the expanse and stealth previously, but against the epyrean 2+elite - is there anything in particular I should be listening for? Will report back either way!
So I had about 3 hours with the Stealth, Expanse, E3 and Empyrean 2 the other day. For transparency the setup used was using Roon/Tidal (FLAC) playing on a Kalista (Dreamplay Stream) DAC connected via RCA to my Topping L70 with gain set to low for all headphones. Unfortunately a mix of balanced and unbalanced connectors for the headphones, but there's enough juice in the L70 to power them to approximately the same volume keeping the low gain anyway (~-25 to ~-7 dB depending on connector, headphone and type of music). My personal belief is that the equipment used, since plenty powerful in the ability to output W and being solid state, matters little/none in the equation of the sound being produced through the headphones. I'm stating this so that you are aware of my biases, not saying that I'm right. I had already tried the Stealth and the Expanse (albeit with another amp) previously so I was somewhat familiar with their sound going in. I'll try and list all songs I listened to at the end of this post and I'd be happy to expound on any detail since I'll be writing quite summarily of my impressions. I did not have time to listen to all, but most, songs on all headphones.

Before I start - all four headphones are extremely competent and whichever way you lean you'll be happy with them thanks to EQ. I listened to all of them without any EQ but they're all so technically advanced that whatever impressions I give below are not set in stone - you can achieve essentially similar signatures through EQing one towards the other. What I'm discussing below is also a comparison between the headphones and I'd not recommend against buying either of them individually, although I do believe they represent different amounts of bang for the buck. All those things said;

My impressions were that both Stealth (to a greater extent) and the Expanse (to a lesser extent) felt a bit on the bassier side of things. The sound is of course still close to reference, but the bass is more prominent. The mids felt comparatively recessed - especially female vocals suffered from this. The treble was also quite tame (don't mistake this for it being absent - it was there, just not in a prominent role) which made me think that they'd be very comfortable for longer listening sessions - a sharp treble is the most fatiguing factor in listening for me. In comparison, both the E3 and the Emp2 had more of a recessed bass, where I'd say that the E3's was the most while the Emp2 was somewhere in-between. A large difference was in punch - obviously both the Stealth and Expanse had lots of it, the Emp2 did too. The E3 was more of a "I can hear it but can't feel it" kind of experience.
The largest difference however, was rather in how the mids and upper mids were presented; my impression of the E3 is that it's an *extremely* vocal-focused headphone. Especially female vocals stood out - almost like they were singing right next to me, which was a lovely feeling. However, this clarity also came with a cost - remember what I said about the treble? Yeah - the E3's treble felt a bit sharp to me. Not a problem for shorter sessions, but for longer (say 45-60 minutes plus?) I'd definitely want to EQ it a bit. The Emp2 really hit the sweet spot here - vocals were put in front of the presentation, but since the lows are not as recessed as on the E3 it came out as more of a balanced listen to me (V-shaped is probably the term many of you'd be thinking of here here - but it didn't *feel* that V-shaped but simply more balanced). I could see the Emp2 losing out on some technicalities here, but since I didn't have *that* long to test it wasn't something that stood out to me at the time.

All things must end with a ranking, right? In terms of performance, from my preferences:
Emp2 (it's just a LOT of fun listening to music with this headphone! Well balanced, may be losing some detail but I honestly couldn't really tell from my listening)
Expanse (non-fatiguing treble combined with a nice little bass-bump around 100-300hz makes for a very comfortable and revelatory listening experience - I'd describe it as "reference retaining a signature sound")
E3 (the wow-factor hearing female voices made all other headphones' presentation of them seem, frankly, dull - it was like they all had a "veil" but they didn't - the E3 was just THAT good!)
Stealth (honestly I was disappointed because I remembered the stealth as better than it sounded this time around? Perhaps also because the sound signature is kinda on the other end of the E3, where the latter is so hyper focused on clarity while the former is more of a powerhouse on the bottom-end of the spectrum)

However most of us have a wallet as a constricting factor. Then the ranking becomes;
E3 (EQ this headphone to remove the tiny pointy edge of the treble, perhaps also boosting the bass a tad, and you have a 10/10 listening experience for half of what you'll pay for the Expanse/Stealth)
Emp2 (so so so so much fun, if all you're looking for is a headphone that makes music sing - splash on this even though its a fair bit more expensive than the E3)
Expanse (honestly I'd love to own this headphone even if it's more expensive and not as fun as the Emp2. It's just that good.)
Stealth (the pricetag seems a bit high now that the E3 is out, but this is still a really, really good headphone. If you listen to or like music with a lot of bass then this will be right up your alley & a definite step up from the E3)

Track listing:
Olivia Rodrigo - drivers license
The Roots - Long time
In flames - Satellites and astronauts
Regina Spektor - Half life (live at R1 Reaktorhallen)
Zhou Shen - 起风了
Audioslave - Like a stone
Talib Kweli & 9th wonder - Don't be afraid
The weeknd - Hardest to love

Mar 13, 2024 at 7:26 AM Post #1,492 of 1,959
You guys must have bigger heads than mine, because I had to push the cups with my hands to get any sub bass with the Stealth.

I said it in the Stealth thread, the Stealth has the most impressive sound I've ever heard (it was better than my studio monitors), but the fit is so bad, and the sound so dependent on the position of the driver relative to your ears, that it was not a viable option. The E3 appeared to me as the next best thing. It has indeed a very vocal focused presentation ; breathtaking on female vocals. But I didn't found the E3 was lacking in bass compared to the Stealth listened in its very narrow position sweet spot and my hands pushing the cups slightly.

Actually I think the E3 has almost too much bass ; and is more quantity over quality !

On Massive Attack - Angel, the E3 presentation was... Massive. I think the track could do without the E3 100hz bell.

Gesaffelstein - Obsession ; the E3 gets it, the kick and the snare couldn't be more autoritative.

Goldfrapp - Never Stop ; my god... Intense in a good way. Hard to keep my composure, I wanted to danse. The E3 is an emotional enhancer.

I dream of the Stealth reference sound in the E3 body. But then I'd keep the E3, still, for to me it feels like it is tuned for the Harman listeners group 2. Typically, young men, bass heads that consequently also need a counterweight in the highs. It is very enjoyable in that regard, and very useful for producers that like me like to push their eqs a bit too much. The tuning is never too much, so it will also please the harman listeners group 1 too. Harman listeners group 3, predominently women / older listeners that don't want too much bass. For them, I'd look for another headphone.

How can a headphone be bass centric, vocal focused, and sizzly up-top, you ask ? Well I don't know, but the E3 does that I think. A very thought-out, nuanced, expertly dosed tuning, maybe ? This thing delivers the goods on modern tracks.

My E3 + Phonitor 2 arrive tomorrow :D !

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2024 at 3:48 PM Post #1,493 of 1,959
These were so good i will be getting them. I switched to IEM's a year ago but i could not believe the sound.

Impressed beyond words.

I actually started crying a bit listening to them.....
Thanks for sharing that! I have a recording I use to assess emotional impact, the Budapest Festival Orchestra's Mahler's 4th Symphony, 3rd movement. When things are right with the tuning this piece never fails to make the eyes tear up...

Going to try these side-by-side with Stealth, Expanse and Empyrean 2+Empyrean elite in the coming days. Quite exciting from reading the thread. I've tried the expanse and stealth previously, but against the epyrean 2+elite - is there anything in particular I should be listening for? Will report back either way!
That's a big general question... I generally suggest starting with purely acoustic music because you know what voices, guitars, strings, sound like, at least if you go to live acoustic music or play. Voice is critically important, my questions are always:
-Are vocals sounding natural, or are they excessively breathy, thick, or synthetic/glassy sounding?
-How close are the near objects (like lead singer in front) and how far are the effects like room echo, reverb, etc behind it? The distance from front to back is soundstage.
-How clearly are layered vocals rendered? Can complex harmonies resolve to individual voices?
-Does the attack on percussion and acoustic guitar sound correct or is it too zingy or sluggish sounding?
-Are instruments points in space or do they occupy a volume in space? Some headphones with good soundstage make everything sound like pinpoints in space, but IMHO real instruments occupy a volume in space, and things like bass or drums should occupy a position in space vs being just a point.

These are just some of my considerations, there are a million ways to approach the subject, maybe some others will add to this. Have fun regardless!

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Mar 13, 2024 at 3:56 PM Post #1,494 of 1,959
I have a recording I use to assess emotional impact, the Budapest Festival Orchestra's Mahler's 4th Symphony, 3rd movement. When things are right with the tuning this piece never fails to make the eyes tear up...
Directed by Iván Fischer? I really like his interpretations of Mahler's symphonies.

Mar 13, 2024 at 3:57 PM Post #1,495 of 1,959
Directed by Iván Fischer? I really like his interpretations of Mahler's symphonies.
Yeah, it's a lovely performance...

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Mar 13, 2024 at 5:35 PM Post #1,496 of 1,959
That's a big general question... I generally suggest starting with purely acoustic music because you know what voices, guitars, strings, sound like, at least if you go to live acoustic music or play. Voice is critically important, my questions are always:
-Are vocals sounding natural, or are they excessively breathy, thick, or synthetic/glassy sounding?
-How close are the near objects (like lead singer in front) and how far are the effects like room echo, reverb, etc behind it? The distance from front to back is soundstage.
-How clearly are layered vocals rendered? Can complex harmonies resolve to individual voices?
-Does the attack on percussion and acoustic guitar sound correct or is it too zingy or sluggish sounding?
-Are instruments points in space or do they occupy a volume in space? Some headphones with good soundstage make everything sound like pinpoints in space, but IMHO real instruments occupy a volume in space, and things like bass or drums should occupy a position in space vs being just a point.

These are just some of my considerations, there are a million ways to approach the subject, maybe some others will add to this. Have fun regardless!
Ah yeah sorry, might've been too broad of an approach but I'm glad and honored you took your time to help me on my way! Nevertheless, see my impressions a little later in this thread - it's quite a long post so tl;dr - with the E3 voices are absolutely beautifully rendered and it is a really good headphone over all, but it felt a bit too sharp in the highs for comfortable listening over long periods for me. I did rank it - by far - the best when it comes to value for money. Still, I'll probably pick up the Expanse whenever opportunity arrives (it's a lot of money - for good reason).

Mar 13, 2024 at 6:45 PM Post #1,497 of 1,959
Ah yeah sorry, might've been too broad of an approach but I'm glad and honored you took your time to help me on my way! Nevertheless, see my impressions a little later in this thread - it's quite a long post so tl;dr - with the E3 voices are absolutely beautifully rendered and it is a really good headphone over all, but it felt a bit too sharp in the highs for comfortable listening over long periods for me. I did rank it - by far - the best when it comes to value for money. Still, I'll probably pick up the Expanse whenever opportunity arrives (it's a lot of money - for good reason).
If you find it too sharp in the highs pull the headphone down then forward so your ears touch the upper rear of the pad vs being centered, this adjusts the tone of the headphone to soften the upper mids and lower highs.

AMTS makes it possible to predict relative changes in response regardless of the users' ear shape and size, while the ear shape and size have some effect on overall response (as is true with all headphones, I believe). The difference is instead of position creating random changes AMTS makes position effects predictable...

Mar 14, 2024 at 12:45 AM Post #1,498 of 1,959
If you find it too sharp in the highs pull the headphone down then forward so your ears touch the upper rear of the pad vs being centered, this adjusts the tone of the headphone to soften the upper mids and lower highs.

AMTS makes it possible to predict relative changes in response regardless of the users' ear shape and size, while the ear shape and size have some effect on overall response (as is true with all headphones, I believe). The difference is instead of position creating random changes AMTS makes position effects predictable...

Wow this really helped. Thanks!

Mar 14, 2024 at 3:54 AM Post #1,500 of 1,959
Same problem for me, too sharp, too much dynamics, highs pushed.
It was amazing during the first hours, then a lot of fatigue…
I try to find a solution with a warm cable which might be of some help.
Your gear upstream ? Curious.
Just I mean with that question DAC chips/amps on the brighter/surgical and neutral side may be magnifying the only issue/gripe I hear with what is a pretty excellent can exterior design and tuning. That upper mids forward/hardeness with certain hardware.
My other gear all excellent with Hugo2...but unfortunately, don't want to complicate the chain as it is - euphonic tube amp in front or change it completely for 1 can etc.

E3 was nearly the 'one' for me on multiple multiple fronts - as I totally love closed-planars due to the density with electronic music they tend produce - but can't deal with anything hard/forward on the brighter end of the spectrum and in IMO there are gear cosiderations upstream to fix that one minor issue.

This scenario is unfortunately like talking about that last 5% - perhaps subjective issue to a degree - as though the other excellent/top-tier 95% traits of the can did not exist. But they do.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back