Dan Clark Audio E3 Review: Interview, Measurements, Impressions
Mar 8, 2024 at 1:52 PM Post #1,456 of 2,016
It’s a while back since I had an Empyrean, but from memory, the E3 is way more engaging, dynamic and fun to my ears. The Empyrean really didn’t work for me…

Mar 8, 2024 at 1:53 PM Post #1,457 of 2,016
Might have missed it if already covered, but am curious how the E3's compare to the Meze Empyrean (OG) as a headphone, as both are locally available at a similar price.
Worlds apart in all areas. Empyrean is more comfortable and that is about the only thing it’s more of to me. Not being a fan boy of DCA but they really couldn’t be more far apart in all areas sonically.

Mar 8, 2024 at 2:01 PM Post #1,458 of 2,016
Agreed on the comfort and on that being the only thing I liked about them 😄

Mar 8, 2024 at 2:05 PM Post #1,459 of 2,016
Might have missed it if already covered, but am curious how the E3's compare to the Meze Empyrean (OG) as a headphone, as both are locally available at a similar price.
I found the Empys to lack in dynamics and imaging ability....shocking under-deliver for the price.
It was like paying over the odds for an LCD-2.1

The E3s imaging ability is at the polar other end of spectrum = scalpel - and this driver generation has great dynamics vs previous ones in the planar line

Mar 8, 2024 at 4:23 PM Post #1,460 of 2,016
I see, thanks for getting back on the query and for sharing your experiences!
Wasn't expecting there to be that much of a difference in impressions between the two, given how the Empyrean launched as a flagship, even though they are a few years old at this point.

Mar 9, 2024 at 4:38 AM Post #1,461 of 2,016
I see, thanks for getting back on the query and for sharing your experiences!
Wasn't expecting there to be that much of a difference in impressions between the two, given how the Empyrean launched as a flagship, even though they are a few years old at this point.
Price = price.

Mar 10, 2024 at 6:34 PM Post #1,462 of 2,016
These were so good i will be getting them. I switched to IEM's a year ago but i could not believe the sound.

Impressed beyond words.

I actually started crying a bit listening to them.....

Attachments

• dca.png
    dca.png
    804.1 KB · Views: 0
Mar 11, 2024 at 3:59 AM Post #1,463 of 2,016
Going to try these side-by-side with Stealth, Expanse and Empyrean 2+Empyrean elite in the coming days. Quite exciting from reading the thread. I've tried the expanse and stealth previously, but against the epyrean 2+elite - is there anything in particular I should be listening for? Will report back either way!

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2024 at 5:12 AM Post #1,464 of 2,016
These were so good i will be getting them. I switched to IEM's a year ago but i could not believe the sound.

Impressed beyond words.

I actually started crying a bit listening to them.....
Do you feel the tubes were neutral or euphonic on the amp you tested on ?

Mar 11, 2024 at 10:29 AM Post #1,469 of 2,016
The Phonitor 2 did a fine job when I tried the E3, The E3 volume was high already ( around 80dB ?) at one third of the volume dial ! I managed to amplify the Stealth and Expanse to this level too, but probably more around two thirds of the volume dial for the flagships.

I plan on using the Phonitor dual XLR out on the rear panel, and use the headphones in a balanced setting (I'll make my own cable, which is going to be fun).
The Phonitor XLR out has a higher impedance than the headphone TRS output, but there are DIP switches underneath the Phonitor 2 that gives 24 dB of additional gain if need be.

Overall I'll appreciate the extension interface of the Phonitor. One dial that switches between four pair of headphones is a great setup... & If I gain stage everything to an even ground via passive attenuators, I think it'll be a great and fast way of switching between headphones.

https://spl.audio/en/spl-produkt/phonitor-2/

Mar 11, 2024 at 10:58 AM Post #1,470 of 2,016
The Phonitor 2 did a fine job when I tried the E3, The E3 volume was high already ( around 80dB ?) at one third of the volume dial ! I managed to amplify the Stealth and Expanse to this level too, but probably more around two thirds of the volume dial for the flagships.

I plan on using the Phonitor dual XLR out on the rear panel, and use the headphones in a balanced setting (I'll make my own cable, which is going to be fun).
The Phonitor XLR out has a higher impedance than the headphone TRS output, but there are DIP switches underneath the Phonitor 2 that gives 24 dB of additional gain if need be.

Overall I'll appreciate the extension interface of the Phonitor. One dial that switches between four pair of headphones is a great setup... & If I gain stage everything to an even ground via passive attenuators, I think it'll be a great and fast way of switching between headphones.

https://spl.audio/en/spl-produkt/phonitor-2/
Interesting take, I’ve done more reading on impedance matching lately and was curious how your idea above would stack up using the rear xlr speaker outs. Here’s what our soon to be new overlords have to say about it. Albeit I’m not saying it won’t sound good just posting on output impedance alone it doesn’t seem to be a good match.

“The general guideline for matching headphones with an amplifier is to follow the "1/8 rule," which suggests that the amplifier's output impedance should be less than 1/8th of the headphone's impedance to ensure a good damping factor, leading to better control of the driver's movement and overall sound quality.

With an amplifier output impedance of 75 ohms and headphones with an impedance of 27 ohms, this setup significantly deviates from the 1/8 rule. In this case, the headphone impedance is much lower than the suggested ratio, which can result in a poor damping factor. This mismatch may lead to a less accurate frequency response, especially in the bass regions, potential increases in distortion, and generally a less precise sound quality.

Ideally, for headphones with an impedance of 27 ohms, you'd want an amplifier with an output impedance of 3.375 ohms or lower to adhere to the 1/8 rule and ensure optimal sound quality. Therefore, a headphone amplifier with an output impedance of 75 ohms is not a good match for headphones with an impedance of 27 ohms.”

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back