Dan Clark Audio E3 Review: Interview, Measurements, Impressions
Jan 6, 2024 at 4:01 AM Post #616 of 1,982
Our review of the E3 is now published with comparisons to the Atrium Closed, Meze Liric, and the LCD-XC 2021. :)

https://headfonics.com/dan-clark-audio-e3-review/

1704531232343.png

Jan 6, 2024 at 4:11 AM Post #617 of 1,982
@mrspeakers Have you ever considered making an completely Vegan option for your Headphones? Which you could choose on purchase. Free from animal Leather.

So Vegans also can enjoy your Headphones.

Otherwise the E3 tick all of my boxes on
What's he talking about? Are the pads and headband made of genuine leather? That would be great, because pleather usually flakes after some years.

Jan 6, 2024 at 4:20 AM Post #618 of 1,982
Pads are always Japanese synthetic leather and headband is leather because it should take the shape of your head over time. I am not sure if synthetic leather would behave the same.

Jan 6, 2024 at 4:37 AM Post #619 of 1,982
I would say in absolute terms. With the E3, you're not really making any of the typical concessions with closed-back cans, such as wonky timbre or a claustrophobic soundstage.

From a technical perspective, I don't believe one can do better than the E3 for $2k. That said, there are (primarily open-back) headphones at or even below the price of the E3 that any given listener might prefer from a subjective standpoint. It's always best to audition your candidates prior to purchase, if possible. Short of that, tell us your sonic preferences and favorite headphones heretofore, and perhaps we can give you more enlightened guidance.
Thanks for the reply. I'm currently using the Ether 2 as my main headphone with Chord TT2. I did ask if anyone thought the E3 outperformed the Ether 2 and got one reply who said he thought it did but then said he hadn't listened to the Ether 2 in a while.

Jan 6, 2024 at 10:46 AM Post #621 of 1,982
Last edited:
Jan 6, 2024 at 11:22 AM Post #622 of 1,982
Jan 6, 2024 at 11:44 AM Post #623 of 1,982
Our review of the E3 is now published with comparisons to the Atrium Closed, Meze Liric, and the LCD-XC 2021. :)

https://headfonics.com/dan-clark-audio-e3-review/

Thank you for the review. Could you talk a bit about micro dynamics, attack/sustain/decay, PRaT, smoothness, instrument placements, space between instruments, and transients?

Also, does E3 present music as a whole or as ear candies like a Christmas tree with ornaments.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2024 at 2:42 PM Post #625 of 1,982
I have a JDS Element III Mk.2 and I tried both the Liric and the E3 with it side by side. I feel they are both very (to within a margin of opinion) close but the Liric had more sub-bass and more treble extension, with more upper detail.
That’s interesting because I sold my liric only because I found it to be lacking bass. It didn’t reach very deep for me. Everything else was great about it. Now I wonder if liric vary from unit to unit like someone said earlier. Maybe I should give them another chance? I do prefer a very deep bass I’ve had trouble finding in a closed back and I’ve gone through a lot of them and still not completely satisfied…will try E3 next.

Jan 6, 2024 at 8:47 PM Post #626 of 1,982
That’s interesting because I sold my liric only because I found it to be lacking bass. It didn’t reach very deep for me. Everything else was great about it. Now I wonder if liric vary from unit to unit like someone said earlier. Maybe I should give them another chance? I do prefer a very deep bass I’ve had trouble finding in a closed back and I’ve gone through a lot of them and still not completely satisfied…will try E3 next.
To be honest, I can’t speak if it varies from one to another (since I’ve only owned one)… but what I can say is that the first week of owning the Liric felt like it lacked bass, and I already was looking to return and replace it (hence trying the MDR-Z1R, ÆON II, E3, etc).

But then something crazy happened. Call it burn-in, some EQ, or a bit of both, but the Lirics become a bass monster.

They have the best bass I’ve ever heard on a planar, period. Tight and controlled but also hits hard when it needs to, especially down low.

Jan 6, 2024 at 9:53 PM Post #628 of 1,982
To be honest, I can’t speak if it varies from one to another (since I’ve only owned one)… but what I can say is that the first week of owning the Liric felt like it lacked bass, and I already was looking to return and replace it (hence trying the MDR-Z1R, ÆON II, E3, etc).

But then something crazy happened. Call it burn-in, some EQ, or a bit of both, but the Lirics become a bass monster.

They have the best bass I’ve ever heard on a planar, period. Tight and controlled but also hits hard when it needs to, especially down low.
The usual timetable to go from garbage to awesome for any hifi gear is 400 hours 🤦‍♂️

Jan 6, 2024 at 11:06 PM Post #629 of 1,982
The usual timetable to go from garbage to awesome for any hifi gear is 400 hours 🤦‍♂️
Once my headphone made of two soup cans tied together with a string reached 400 hours, they beat the Susvaras for me :sweat_smile:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back