Dan Clark AEON RT with Topping A50s / Adapter problems
Apr 30, 2021 at 11:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

canarioaleman

New Head-Fier
Hi all,

I'm quite new to headphones so please forgive me any potential stupidity...

I bought a AEON RT closed and a Topping A50s.

As I read that it's recommended using the balanced output I purchased this adapter to connect headphones to the balanced output of the amp:
https://www.amazon.com/Geekria-Balanced-Gold-Plated-NW-ZX300A-TA-ZH1ES/dp/B075165H2M

First of all it worked and I heard sound but when I turned the volume knob up I heard a distortion sound and the amp switched off.

I could switch it on again (this time without the adapter), and it worked normal on both low and high gain.

Question is: Do I get something completely wrong here and I can't use that kind of adapter and I have to buy a completely different cable or is the adapter faulty?

If I can't use the balanced output, the single ended one is simply not powerful enough for the RT, which other amp would you guys recommend?

Thx for your help!

KR

Hank

Edit: spelling.
61MRfuYNPNL._AC_SL1100_.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2021 at 12:18 PM Post #2 of 8
Stop using that adapter and send it back for a refund. You will likely damage the amp if you keep trying to use it.

You must have balanced cables installed on your headphones. In others words, the headphone cables should already have a balanced 2.5 mm 4.4 mm, or 4-pin XLR termination. Never use one of those single ended to balanced adapters. When you do that, you are shorting together the right and left grounds.

Edit: per the other comment posted, hardly any 3.5 mm cables are balanced. If the amp is powering the headphones fine through the regular 3.5 mm jack, just use that. Balanced is only really needed if the amp just isn't powerful enough to provide enough volume through the regular 3.5 mm or 1/4 inch output.

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2021 at 12:18 PM Post #3 of 8
That adapter is fine, if you have a 3.5mm balanced cable, but I'm 99% sure you have a single ended 3.5mm (much more common). So yes, the adapter is the problem and you need a new cable.

Apr 30, 2021 at 12:30 PM Post #5 of 8
Just get another cable, that amp is fine. You can get one from Dan Clark Audio, or search eBay or Google for other vendor options. One thing that may be a nice option is to get one with a 2.5 mm termination, and then you could get a 4.4 mm adapter and 3.5 mm adapters if you ever use different amps or sources. I personally like Impact Audio Cables, which are not outrageously expensive, and are nice and supple. His Etsy shop might be closed at the moment, but you can also contact him through his separate website.

Apr 30, 2021 at 6:42 PM Post #8 of 8
There are some sellers on Etsy that may ship to Germany. You can try searching on Etsy for Dan Clark Audio or Mr. Speakers, and filter the "ship to" to Germany.

I have no personal experience with these, but AudiophileNinja, CapistranoCables, KoalaAudioCables are some active sellers that you can try to contact. If they do not have an active listing with the specific termination you want, you can always send a message and ask.

AudiophileNinja also has a separate website you can order from:
https://www.audiophileninja.com/product-tag/dan-clark-audio/

I am sure there are some custom headphone cable makers based in Europe too, but sorry I'm not too familiar with those outside of the United States.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back