Damnation is here! (new opeth album!)
Apr 14, 2003 at 10:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 37

johnny sack

100+ Head-Fier
I just got my Opeth - Damnation cd in themail today, and I am half way through it so far. For all you fellow forum post-ers who have said "I would like Opeth much more if they had clean (no grunting) vocals," well, this album is for you. you must listen to it immediately, it is awesome and i still have 4 songs to go.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 15, 2003 at 11:26 AM Post #7 of 37
Hmmmm..............still have no big desire to hear the softer gentler side of Opeth. I think this should have been done under another band name as a side project, like Dan Swano did with his Nightingale Cds.

Now where does Opeth go from here, the fans are confused.

(maybe I should actually listen to some samples but I am not really motivated to do so, I will at work today just to be open minded)

Apr 15, 2003 at 11:37 AM Post #8 of 37
I just love Damnation. I have always liked the acoustic parts of Opeth songs, and Damnation has over 40 minutes of those. To bid you farewell has maybe the most damnation-like sound of previous Opeth songs, though the songs are much more advanced on Damnation. My respect towards the drummer of Opeth has just increased a lot...

Apr 15, 2003 at 4:48 PM Post #9 of 37
The singing is a clean, which I like much more than growling. However, the music is a lot mellower than other Opeth albums I've heard. Not a bad record, but not really what I'm looking for from Opeth.

Apr 15, 2003 at 7:26 PM Post #10 of 37
Quote:

Originally posted by richard
The singing is a clean, which I like much more than growling. However, the music is a lot mellower than other Opeth albums I've heard. Not a bad record, but not really what I'm looking for from Opeth.

Yea, it has been known for a while that they set out to make an acoustic album with Damnation. Therefore it is obviously going to be missing the usual heavy to acoustic transitions of previouse albums.

I felt Opeth did a fairly good job with Damnation. IMO it doesn't even come close to touching Ulver's accoustic masterpiece Kveldsjanger, or even their previouse acoustic work for that matter.

I hope Opeth takes some time off, then returns to their old style. Let's just hope this wasn't Opeth's transition album to a "softer" more mainstream sound.

Apr 15, 2003 at 8:51 PM Post #11 of 37
Quote:

Originally posted by BaronJack

I hope Opeth takes some time off, then returns to their old style. Let's just hope this wasn't Opeth's transition album to a "softer" more mainstream sound.

I'm only a new Opeth fan, but I doubt this will happen. I see Opeth moving over toward something like Tool crossed with Porcupine Tree. They could easily pull in a much wider audience if they lose the black metal image and just concentrate on creating melodic, modern progressive metal. Just after listening to DELIVERANCE about 5 times, I have to say it's some of the best heavy metal, black, thrash or otherwise, I've ever heard. There's an audience for this kind of stuff, people like me, who don't normally listen to obscure european black metal.

-jar
tongue.gif

Apr 15, 2003 at 9:53 PM Post #12 of 37
Quote:

Originally posted by Masonjar
I'm only a new Opeth fan, but I doubt this will happen. I see Opeth moving over toward something like Tool crossed with Porcupine Tree. They could easily pull in a much wider audience if they lose the black metal image and just concentrate on creating melodic, modern progressive metal. Just after listening to DELIVERANCE about 5 times, I have to say it's some of the best heavy metal, black, thrash or otherwise, I've ever heard. There's an audience for this kind of stuff, people like me, who don't normally listen to obscure european black metal.

-jar
tongue.gif

I'm not really sure If I see any black metal influences at all in Opeth. I think a mix of doom, and death metal, along with a progressive metal song structure would be the most accurate
wink.gif

Apr 15, 2003 at 11:56 PM Post #13 of 37
The only Back Metal influence on Opeth was in the 1st 3 album in the vocals. He changed over to Death Metal vocals with Still Life.

Anyway, this is not their new direction as it was recorded at the same time as DELIVERANCE! It was suppose to be release as one huge double album. Note the play on titles, it was suppose to have that whole yin/yang thing happening.

Apr 16, 2003 at 12:43 PM Post #14 of 37
Quote:

Originally posted by BaronJack
I'm not really sure If I see any black metal influences at all in Opeth. I think a mix of doom, and death metal, along with a progressive metal song structure would be the most accurate
wink.gif

ok you got me, I guess I don't really know what black metal is.. though there was this band from Cleveland in the 80's called BLACK DEATH.. I can't find the album cover, but they looked more like RUN-DMC than Mercyful Fate..
tongue.gif

BLACK DEATH – Though embraced as more of a Metal band than a punk act (their self titled 1983 LP was on the Ohio Metal label Auburn Records), Sikki Spacek and his leather-clad, all African American bandmates definitely played a Hardcore inspired brand of Thrash. The punkest thing about them was that these kids from the wrong side of the tracks (a/k/a/ East Cleveland) rode the bus to their own gigs…with guitars and a full drum kit!

http://www.roctober.com/roctober/blackpunk1.html

evil_smiley.gif
-jar

Apr 16, 2003 at 7:50 PM Post #15 of 37
What the hell is all that mellotron/moog stuff..........sounds like early King Crimson influence, samples don't sound too encouraging to me, I am underwhelmed.

Is this really good or are people just saying it is good because they like other Opeth stuff......form the samples I have heard I would never buy this if it was new unknown band.

Let the flames fly...................
very_evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back