Damn you, Head-Fi!!!
Nov 7, 2012 at 6:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

darkpen

New Head-Fier
I've been lurking here for quite a while, always scoping out the recommendations on what to get to satisfy this growing urge I've had to really experience music.

Oh, it started small... I originally just wanted to know what the best headphones under $100 were... Then I thought I was just cheating myself of a better experience, so I kept reading and saving (which is not easy as a law student).

I received some Bang & Olufsen earphones as a gift which actually sounded really good but, as a lot of people here have said, are overpriced (though you can't beat free). That was the beginning of the end, though.

See, I got a taste of the good stuff. But I wanted more. I still have to take baby steps, but like the Call of Cthulhu, it keeps calling, even in my sleep.

I bought, on my limited budget and based on recommendations, a pair of ATH-M50. Oh, they were right. The bass *was* a bit too much. But everything else was fantastic, especially for a step up into the world.

Oh, and they're so easy to mod, too, aren't they. "Just cover some holes," they said. And they were right, dammit. That made them even better to my ear.

But still I knew I wanted more.

So now I'm articling and got a bit of a bonus before Christmas.

Damn you, Head-Fi.

My first thought went to "what kind of rig can I get with this?"

The heart won and I ended up spending most of it on an engagement ring for the girl who stood by me during my four years of law school (I have both a JD and a civil law degree, hence the extra year). But I struggled. I thought of getting a whole new system. Amp. Speakers. Headphones. Source. All of it.

I had to resist. And I did. But I had money left over. And I couldn't resist.

Sure, it's not the setup I was salivating for. But it's another step up (I hope).

I got Grado 125s.

And Sennheiser P200's for the commuting part of my day.

And ATH-A700s.

And a Fiio E7.

Damn you, Head-Fi.

I still want more.

And I love you all. :D

Nov 7, 2012 at 6:59 PM Post #2 of 10
dammmmn....u hv a law degree....n u gonna be rich.....n u gonna buy more headfi stuff....dammmmmmmmn 
this is a curse ...lol

deadhorse.gif

now what u need is a Mspro...a tube amp....n a new portable can...sonyR1...
the wedding ring can wait.
biggrin.gif

Nov 7, 2012 at 7:11 PM Post #3 of 10
lol I hope so...! :D

I'm only articling now, which is like a relatively poorly-paid apprenticeship, but all I can think about is making everything sound better, if that makes any sense.

I have my home theatre set up in the bedroom (not ideal I know, but both the spare room and living room are offices right now). I was hoping to upgrade to Mirage speakers in a 5.1 setup, but then I realized the SO is always begging me to lower the volume so we don't disturb neighbours. My first thought: a kick ass headphone amp with discreet channels so we can set our own listening levels. :p

Well, the money already went to the rock, but hopefully I can invest in more Rock later. :wink:

Nov 7, 2012 at 7:27 PM Post #4 of 10
Quote:
lol I hope so...!
biggrin.gif

I'm only articling now, which is like a relatively poorly-paid apprenticeship, but all I can think about is making everything sound better, if that makes any sense.
I have my home theatre set up in the bedroom (not ideal I know, but both the spare room and living room are offices right now). I was hoping to upgrade to Mirage speakers in a 5.1 setup, but then I realized the SO is always begging me to lower the volume so we don't disturb neighbours. My first thought: a kick ass headphone amp with discreet channels so we can set our own listening levels.
tongue.gif

Well, the money already went to the rock, but hopefully I can invest in more Rock later.
wink.gif

Congrats on your new setup and law degree!
biggrin.gif
 Anyways, this is really off-topic but.. Is Law school hard? Is it fun? I'm trying to think about what to do in my life and I am very interested in law.

Nov 7, 2012 at 8:00 PM Post #5 of 10
Thanks!

Well, I liked it, but I'm not a typical case. After my undergrad (in film, of all things), I pretty much did whatever I wanted--not because of wealth and luck, just because I wanted to. My family didn't have any money to support me beyond high school, so there was this strange teenage feeling of freedom that I had whereby whatever I did was on me no matter what, so I may as well do what I wanted.

If you don't mind reading (there's a lot of that), then it's a fun degree as you learn what makes the world turn.

I wouldn't recommend going into law as a premise to make tons of money, though. I got lucky and got a job because I had outside world experience, and probably some other factors as well, but the sad truth is that there are way more law graduates than jobs. That said, it's probably a nice degree to have, but I wouldn't recommend going into it unless you a) really want to be a lawyer, or b) have a job lined up where they understand you're getting a law degree.

The sad truth is, a law degree doesn't prepare you for anything other than law. The upside? As a North American, that's great for a lot of things, just not if you really want to be a lawyer. See, lawyer jobs are at a premium right now. But you can probably make even more if you accept being a consultant for restructuration companies, etc.

So, in other words: TL;DR: law degree is good if you're not gung go about being a lawyer. :)

Nov 7, 2012 at 8:03 PM Post #6 of 10
I want to be an entertainment/sports lawyer or work for the DA. 

Nov 7, 2012 at 8:25 PM Post #7 of 10
Quote:
See, I got a taste of the good stuff. But I wanted more. I still have to take baby steps, but like the Call of Cthulhu, it keeps calling, even in my sleep.

You need to grow up and learn self-restraint.

I, for example, have successfully resisted the demons lurking here. That is, except for the Rolls HA43 Pro, FiiO E5, Matrix M-Stage, O2+ODAC, and two Behringer UCA-222's. And the ATH M50S, Fostex T50RP, and JVC HA-S500. Did I mention my new Sennheiser HD 650's?

Really, it's easy to avoid temptation with a bit of forethought. I'll be glad to offer my assistance!

Nov 8, 2012 at 6:09 AM Post #8 of 10
I normally wait for the storm ...then I crank up the volume for the next movie:wink:

Just test-driven the denon d600 at a store....hmmm looks like a can for movies...I m itching allover.:)

Nov 8, 2012 at 12:07 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:
I normally wait for the storm ...then I crank up the volume for the next movie:wink:
Just test-driven the denon d600 at a store....hmmm looks like a can for movies...I m itching allover.
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm lucky enough to have any really good audio stores far enough and out of the way for me not to stop in and test drive stuff, which is really a blessing and a curse all at once. The closest one has a huge Bose sign over the entrance, and any really good equipment is order only so I can't test drive them and have to rely on online research.

On the other hand, there's this little outlet electronics store with these occasional great deals... I saw a beyerdynamic DT1350 (audiophile version) there for $150. I wondered whether or not to get it, but I couldn't access Head-Fi from my phone at the time (no bars for whatever reason, maybe fate?).

And now that I think about it, I think it's still there... I should look up some reviews on here and maybe swing by...
dt880smile.png

Quote:

You need to grow up and learn self-restraint.

I, for example, have successfully resisted the demons lurking here. That is, except for the Rolls HA43 Pro, FiiO E5, Matrix M-Stage, O2+ODAC, and two Behringer UCA-222's. And the ATH M50S, Fostex T50RP, and JVC HA-S500. Did I mention my new Sennheiser HD 650's?

Really, it's easy to avoid temptation with a bit of forethought. I'll be glad to offer my assistance!

Does this involve Dagon in any way?
dt880smile.png

I'm waiting for all the deliveries to come through, and yet I'm still itching for new stuff... I'm aiming for a good desktop DAC/amp next, some desktop monitors/speakers, and maybe some HD800's, though I guess I'll have to wait a bit for any of that stuff... although I did find a pair of M-Audio AV40s at a reasonable price, which is taking all of my self-restraint not to order!

Quote:
I want to be an entertainment/sports lawyer or work for the DA. 

I took a sports/entertainment law class, really cool stuff. I'd love to do that as well, but not much demand for it where I am. It's really just a mix of commercial, labor, tax and IP law, though.

If working for the DA is anything like working for the Crown in Canada, then you're in court often and have a ton of files with little time to spend on each. Which still sounds like fun to me. :)

Nov 8, 2012 at 6:16 PM Post #10 of 10
I'm lucky enough to have any really good audio stores far enough and out of the way for me not to stop in and test drive stuff, which is really a blessing and a curse all at once. The closest one has a huge Bose sign over the entrance, and any really good equipment is order only so I can't test drive them and have to rely on online research.

On the other hand, there's this little outlet electronics store with these occasional great deals... I saw a beyerdynamic DT1350 (audiophile version) there for $150. I wondered whether or not to get it, but I couldn't access Head-Fi from my phone at the time (no bars for whatever reason, maybe fate?).

And now that I think about it, I think it's still there... I should look up some reviews on here and maybe swing by... :dt880smile:

Does this involve Dagon in any way? :dt880smile:

I'm waiting for all the deliveries to come through, and yet I'm still itching for new stuff... I'm aiming for a good desktop DAC/amp next, some desktop monitors/speakers, and maybe some HD800's, though I guess I'll have to wait a bit for any of that stuff... although I did find a pair of M-Audio AV40s at a reasonable price, which is taking all of my self-restraint not to order!

I took a sports/entertainment law class, really cool stuff. I'd love to do that as well, but not much demand for it where I am. It's really just a mix of commercial, labor, tax and IP law, though.

If working for the DA is anything like working for the Crown in Canada, then you're in court often and have a ton of files with little time to spend on each. Which still sounds like fun to me. :)
Great to know. I'm happy its really fun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back