Damaged Denon D5000 question
Mar 15, 2013 at 11:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

thinksecret

New Head-Fier
Hey folks,

I'm from Germany so please forgive me my English 
biggrin.gif

I have a question about the Denon 5k.

I became the possibility to get a damaged Denon for a really nice price.

The problem is that one side of the headphone doesn't work. The owner don't know why that problem exist, he said it was at a moment's notice (he gave the Headphones to someone else for a few days and than that problem exists). 

He had already checked the connection to the drivers (no cable break). 

So my question is now (I can't test the Headphones I have to buy them if I want them), how big is the possibility that it is a cable break (at the plug or somewhere else) and how big is the possibility that it is really a driver problem? From my experience when I had problems with speaker or headphones it was always the cable. I don't know how big is the possibility that the driver is damaged. But I also noticed that the cable is very thick, so I can't really imagine that there is a chance for a cable break, if someone gently using the Denons...in addition if it should be the driver, I can't imagine that the driver is suddenly completely unable to function.

So far...

Greetings from Germany

Thinksecret

Mar 15, 2013 at 10:33 PM Post #2 of 4
It is a gamble. It could be a cable problem or a driver problem. It is up to you to decide whether to take the chance or not.

Mar 22, 2013 at 7:29 PM Post #4 of 4
The only thing I can imagine leaving an absolute absence of sound is a break somewhere in the circuit. This could be the cable, it could be the driver or it could even be the 1/4" to 1/8" adapter. This actually happened to my D2000s, the left side kept going silent. This is easily checked by trying a different adapter or using the headphones with a mobile device (1/8" connector).

I find it hard to believe that the driver is the problem if there is in fact no sound at all. This would happen if the driver became disconnected from the cable, or if there is a breach somewhere in the inductor (though I cannot fathom how this could happen).
The most common damage to a driver (especially concerning loudspeakers, I have no experience with blown drivers on a headphone) is either that the inductor melts partially due to overheating (generally by playing too loud with too much distortion) or damage to the diaphragm (usually by pushing it further than it was made to go, i.e. playing WAY too loud, or foreign object damage). Introducing the headphone to a direct current (i.e. connecting it to a battery) could also cause either of the aforementioned driver damages.
The thing with these kind of damages though is that in most cases the driver will still produce sound. It will sound utterly terrible, but there will still be sound. No sound at all could only mean a break in the circuit (in the connector, cable or the inductor, though I find a breach in the inductor to be highly unlikely), or the removal of the driver magnet. The magnet is (just about) always the heviest part of the driver, and I think that would be particularly noticeable...

My bet is on the adapter or cable, either one. If the cable is anything like the one on the D2000s it is very rigid, and prone to getting sharp bends. The transition from the plug to the cable is also very sharp, and might easily cause a break in the cable after extended use. When I gave up my D2000s after around 20 months of use there was a noticeable bend just above the connector, and the black protective mesh had parted to show the white fluff inside at the "top" of the bend.

TLDR: If there is no sound at all I find it hard to believe it's the driver. I think it's either a breach in the cable, or a faulty 1/4" to 1/8" adapter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back