Dallas Meetup - June 1, 2014 - Pictures and Impressions Thread
Jun 3, 2014 at 10:17 AM Post #31 of 50
  Lots of companies sell novelty hot sauces which are not actually meant to be eaten and most don't taste very good. I must say this stuff is the hottest I can deal with but the flavor makes it worth repeat visits!

Bummed again that I couldn't make it. What was the name of the hot sauce again?

Jun 3, 2014 at 12:31 PM Post #33 of 50
Jun 5, 2014 at 6:54 PM Post #35 of 50
so have you decided what you're going to replace that beautiful tube amp with?

Jun 5, 2014 at 11:41 PM Post #36 of 50
I would have kept it were it not for a lifestyle change. Nowadays I'm simply too busy to sit still long enough to listen to headphones. Constantly driving around, meeting folks, doing things... just hated to see my stuff languishing on the end table night after night.

I feel like my 2011-2014 headphone adventure has been a worthwhile journey. I never found a better "Summit-Fi base camp" HD800 tube rig* which sounded better for less (or even close to the same) money. It held up well after every meet, every time. Mission accomplished. :)

The only tube amp I'd upgrade to would be a Liquid Glass with RCA 6SN7's. But... the cost! Kinda blows the price/performance challenge away... which is part of the fun for me.

DAC-wise, I'd pick the X-Sabre from personal experience but again the price/performance curve craps out. The base Concero sounds nearly the same and is a true overachiever at close to 1/2 the price. 

Right now I'm in Head-Fi limbo. Got a nice pair of KSC-35's and that's it. Though I might go with a custom pair of IEM's per Maxvla's recommendation if the mood strikes. Planning to visit RMAF this year so perhaps I'll consider it then.

Still planning to host meetups of course. :)

*Used stock HD800, Resonessence Concero base model w/IIR filter, Decware CSP2+ w/Mullard E88CC 1960's old shield signal tube, 6N1P-EV driver tubes, and EML meshplate 5U4G rectifier

Jun 5, 2014 at 11:47 PM Post #37 of 50
I had the last pair of A PURE SOUND recabled KSC-35's. They were pretty sweet. I should have kept them.

I'm pretty much sure that all I want to get is a pair of T1's and maybe a LD1+ and I'm done again.

Jun 7, 2014 at 4:44 AM Post #38 of 50
Ahh good memories. It's sad that I am no longer in Dallas and not able to attend these meets as I moved across continents. I think almost everyone must have heard a set up like mine anyway. What I settled down to now is Yulong DA8 feeding Woo WA22 and all balanced HD800 and LCD-2 and single ended Denon D7000. But I do spend most time with my Heir 8A's as I am rarely at home. 
Anyway, Nick has always been a gentleman and a great host. I hope I can make it to one of these when I am in the state side next time. 

Jun 8, 2014 at 6:45 PM Post #40 of 50
 About the akg 701 it I feel is a headphone that has at times been praised but at times it has also been criticized. I myself have been critical of it as well but over time it has proven to be quite a stellar headphone and a undeniable bargain for what it can be obtained for. The akg 701 and the various versions since are all pretty similar in sound. But with patience and diligence it can prove  to be a very stellar headphone indeed. I myself have a audeze lcd2 v2 headphone and hard as it is to believe for many the 701 is actually my headphone of choice. While the lcd2 v2 is quite pleasant sounding and never seems to be the least bit harsh I find the akg to be a more resolute listen. The 701 is also much more revealing than the lcd2 v2 when it comes to soundstage. The audezes presentation tends to be some what two dimensional. Two dimensional is not a trait of the akg 701. I am constantly surprised by its superiority in soundstaging over the audeze phones. There is also an immediacy that the akg 701 has that the audeze lacks. It may be that I have yet to find the ideal partner for the audezes. I am still searching for that . I have read the mjolner is a very apt partner for the lcd2 and I am sitting on the fence right now. Maybe the schiit may be what the lcd2 v2 needs to wake up and become more involving. But at least for now my funds are better suited for other purposes. But eventually I am going to give the mjolner a spin and see if it is the amp for my lcd2 v2.

Jun 11, 2014 at 5:22 PM Post #41 of 50
Man I wish I had these ready for the last meet. I'm seriously impressed with how they sound for what they are. If you are interested in more info, check out the non-Grado drivers thread.

Jun 12, 2014 at 9:44 AM Post #42 of 50
Man I wish I had these ready for the last meet. I'm seriously impressed with how they sound for what they are. If you are interested in more info, check out the non-Grado drivers thread.

Are those the SennGrados?

Jun 12, 2014 at 9:50 AM Post #43 of 50
That is correct. Ironically enough the only parts that are actually Grado is the metal in the headband, the earpads and the gimbles. The drivers are from a pair of Sennheiser PX100-ii. The cable was made by a guy I met on ebay that makes some fantastic mono - block tube amps. The wood cups are Spralted Tamarind from Indonesia as well as the soft leather headband.

The bass on these is a lot more refined and articulate. The treble is super clean. A lot of users that had built these, believe it or not, put them on part with the RS1's for a substantially lower cost.

Jun 12, 2014 at 5:33 PM Post #44 of 50
Dang it!! I was hoping to finally go to a Dallas Head-Fi meet and here I see that it's already happened 
frown.gif

Jun 13, 2014 at 10:58 AM Post #45 of 50
  Dang it!! I was hoping to finally go to a Dallas Head-Fi meet and here I see that it's already happened 
frown.gif

There will be more. It's worth it for the cheese alone! :xf_eek:P

Users who are viewing this thread

Back