DALI i0-12 : = Initial Impressions
Jan 2, 2024 at 4:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

FullBright1

Headphoneus Supremus
1-02-2024

Minor update : 1-03-2024

Reader,

I wanted to give you some initial impression of the Dali i0-12.

And first, ...know this..... I only use them WIRED.

Not interested in the ANC or the DSP.

I bought these, because i want a set of closed back comfortable headphones that sound good.

= And, they Deliver.
-
-
Box is a plain Utilitarian design.

Case is included.
Pads are comfy, and will get slightly warm, as real Leather can be that way when being heated by a Human Head.
Clamp force is slightly firm.
Headband is a 7.99 on the "comfy" scale.
Overall Design Aesthetic is : "Dali", as this company tends to create similar looking headphones, as does ZMF or Hifiman or Audeze.
The "Dali" aesthetic reminds me most of all, of : Bang & Olufsen.
The included "wire" is decent, and you probably have a much better one in a box somewhere.

So, How do they sound?
Well, that'a why im here..

Now...., if you read or listen to most of the current reviews, you will seem to discover that the Dali's are "bright".

The Dali i0-12's are not actually Bright in the sense of "Fatiguing etched Treble boost".... Instead, they produce a very clarified overall sound, with good presence... The Dali's are extremely clear and resolving, and their well engineered Bass is Accurate//Refined and plays perfectly balanced with the mids and treble.
So, when you have a accurate low end vs a hyped or dialed up low end, and you combine that with extreme detail retrieval as per the midrange and treble, then "bright" can be the initial wrong conclusion.
A Bright set of headphones, by way of comparison, would be the recent Hifiman Ananda Nano.
And also...by way of comparison... The Dali i0-12's Low End is at least as large as the recent DCA-E3, which also has a mostly neutral leaning Bass response.
Neither of these are going to "slam", as that is not what they are all about, regarding their overall sound signature.

Treble wise, the Dali has a nicely revealing treble response. Its quite extended and does not forgive badly recording music.

The Dali's Midrange, is also very clear and present, and is quite "Planar like" regarding the fact that its not trying to be warm or lush, its instead all about the accuracy regarding the overall Tone and FR presentation.

Soundstage is Linearly impressive, is somewhat immersive, and offers a very nice depth of field, especially considering that this is a closed back set of headphones.

Instrument separation is accurate and well engineered.

Female voices sound authentic and crystal clear.

Drums snap..
Electric Bass guitars stay balanced and detailed...
Acoustic guitars ring with clarity...
Male voices are present and detailed.
Synths sound good and authentic..
Orchestral Strings sound pristine and lively.
Saxophones & Trumpets are not presented with a harsh or annoying leading edge, yet still sound full and detailed.
Reverb Tails are accurate.

The "bumper sticker" would describe this Dali gear as : "crystal clean presentation".

The Dali i0-12 is easy to drive, and easy to enjoy.
It's Not for Bass-heads or "Slam" addicts.
It's Definitely for detail retrieval seekers and for audiophiles who want a set of closed headphones, specifically.

UPSIDE : Sound Good wired.

DOWNSIDE : Expensive.... Also remember that the best set of closed headphones will never sound as good as the best set of Open Headphones.. So, always remember that and you wont be disappointed every single time by making that comparison.

Also of note...,. if you give them some power, they will reward you even more.
-
-
DSC01041.JPG
DSC01042.JPG
DSC01043.JPG

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2024 at 5:22 PM Post #2 of 10
And more about the Dali's Low End.

In this video, the Low End, the Bass Guitar will be presented as too large, too thick, if your headphones have a hyped bass/sub... or similar.
The Dali's present the Bass guitar in this video as full and detailed, yet, very balanced, never boomy or loose or out of control.
-
-

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2024 at 5:59 PM Post #3 of 10
1-02-2024

Reader,

I bought these, because i want a set of closed back comfortable headphones that sound good.

= And, they Deliver.
-
-

Case is included.
Pads are comfy, and will get slightly warm, as real Leather can be that way when being heated by a Human Head.
Overall Design Aesthetic is : "Dali", as this company tends to create similar looking headphones, as does ZMF or Hifiman or Audeze.
The included "wire" is decent, and you probably have a much better one in a box somewhere.

So, How do they sound?

Now...., if you read or listen to most of the current reviews, you will seem to discover that the Dali's are "bright".

The Dali i0-12's are not actually Bright in the sense of "Fatiguing etched Treble boost".... Instead, they produce a very clarified overall sound, with good presence... The Dali's are extremely clear and resolving, and their well engineered Bass is Accurate//Refined and plays perfectly balanced with the mids and treble.
So, when you have a accurate low end vs a hyped or dialed up low end, and you combine that with extreme detail retrieval as per the midrange and treble, then "bright" can be the initial wrong conclusion.
A Bright set of headphones, by way of comparison, would be the recent Hifiman Ananda Nano.
And also...by way of comparison... The Dali i0-12's Low End is at least as large as the recent DCA-E3, which also has a mostly neutral leaning Bass response.
Neither of these are going to "slam", as that is not what they are all about, regarding their overall sound signature.

Treble wise, the Dali has the clarity and extension of something like a HE1000v2. It also has the clarity in the high end that you would find in the Cleer Next, which is also a set of headphones that have amazing presence and clarity, regarding their overall sound.

The Dali's Midrange, is also very clear and present, and is quite "Planar like" regarding the fact that its not trying to be warm or lush, its instead all about the accuracy regarding the overall Tone and FR presentation.

Soundstage is Linearly impressive, is somewhat immersive, and offers a very nice depth of field, especially considering that this is a closed back set of headphones.

Drums snap..
Saxophones & Trumpets are not presented with a harsh or annoying leading edge, yet still sound full and detailed.

The "bumper sticker" would describe this Dali gear as : "crystal clean presentation".

It's Definitely for micro-detail heads and detail retrieval seekers and for audiophiles who want a set of closed headphones, specifically.
-
-
DSC01041.JPGDSC01042.JPGDSC01043.JPG
Any idea how they'd compare to the Focal Bathys? I loved the Dali IO-6, though it had some QC problems and I'm wondering if the 12 is worth the upgrade over my Bathys.

Jan 2, 2024 at 6:29 PM Post #4 of 10
Any idea how they'd compare to the Focal Bathys? I loved the Dali IO-6, though it had some QC problems and I'm wondering if the 12 is worth the upgrade over my Bathys.

i can't offered any accurate insight, regarding your question, as i have not heard the F-Bathys.

"Major-Hifi" preferred the overall sound quality of the Dali's over the F-Bathys. = their subjective opinion.

They said., """" When it comes to pure sound quality though, I find what’s offered here more striking, and almost addictive to listen to.""".

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2024 at 6:38 PM Post #5 of 10
Here is another good video to test your gear for soundstage and bass.

If your Headphones are pumping Sting's bass even a step forward past the guitar, then you'll really notice it when the instrumental part of the song begins at about 2:15.
The Dali reproduces Sting's Bass with depth, & lots of layers of detail, while they keep the bass in control and in perfect balance so that you can clearly hear Dominick's guitar, the drums, and the accordion.
The Dali's Bass never steps on the other instruments. It allows for excellent instrument separation and perfect support, .,. and delivers Sting's Bass with authority and clarity.
-
-

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2024 at 4:55 PM Post #6 of 10
1-02-2024

Reader,

= And, they Deliver.
-
-

Case is included.

So, How do they sound?

Treble wise, the Dali has the clarity and extension of something like a HE1000v2. It also has the clarity in the high end that you would find in the Cleer Next, which is also a set of headphones that have amazing presence and clarity, regarding their overall sound.

Drums snap..

It's Definitely for detail retrieval seekers and for audiophiles who want a set of closed headphones, specifically.

Also of note...,. if you give them some power, they will reward you even more.
-
-
DSC01041.JPGDSC01042.JPGDSC01043.JPG

Hello FullBright1.

In difference with you, I'm almost completely not using wired headphones anymore --the convenience of going wireless is making wired use more and more difficult for me, specially since the last year (since November 2022) with the excellent T+A Solitaire T and now, after 2 months, with the iO-12.

I know that you have no interest at all in the ANC and DSP aspects of the iO-12 (ANC isn't so important for me because I'm using my headphones primarily at home in quiet environment). BUT I must asking you that you DON'T disregarding completely the wireless aspect of this headphone. Even when DSP is present in BT mode, DSP isn't responsible entirely for the excellent wireless sonic performance of this headphone. The engineering that Dali using in different aspects of this headphone going more far than a 'simple' very correct FR curve.

So, here is a suggestion for you: Listen to this track only in BT mode ("hi-fi" setting and ANC off). Then listen one more time with same settings. Then try in wired mode. Is possible that you will preferring wired mode still, but is very possible that you will having a very good surprise about how excellent the BT mode performance is. Resolution is only one aspect that I think you will appreciating.

Jan 3, 2024 at 5:32 PM Post #7 of 10
Hello FullBright1.

In difference with you, I'm almost completely not using wired headphones anymore --the convenience of going wireless is making wired use more and more difficult for me, specially since the last year (since November 2022) with the excellent T+A Solitaire T and now, after 2 months, with the iO-12.

I know that you have no interest at all in the ANC and DSP aspects of the iO-12 (ANC isn't so important for me because I'm using my headphones primarily at home in quiet environment). BUT I must asking you that you DON'T disregarding completely the wireless aspect of this headphone. Even when DSP is present in BT mode, DSP isn't responsible entirely for the excellent wireless sonic performance of this headphone. The engineering that Dali using in different aspects of this headphone going more far than a 'simple' very correct FR curve.

So, here is a suggestion for you: Listen to this track only in BT mode ("hi-fi" setting and ANC off). Then listen one more time with same settings. Then try in wired mode. Is possible that you will preferring wired mode still, but is very possible that you will having a very good surprise about how excellent the BT mode performance is. Resolution is only one aspect that I think you will appreciating.

The Dali's are good cloosed headphones, that also have really good DSP.
Their Drivers scale up very well, and more power through the wire makes them really sing.
Under=powering them, does not make them sound thin, but it causes them to become a bit too smooth and neutral....still good, but quite dynamically recessed.

I would hope that Dali makes a Open Version of these, that are just wired, as that would be something to hear.
Till then, .... :):)

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2024 at 6:03 PM Post #8 of 10
The Dali's are good cloosed headphones, that also have really good DSP.
Their Drivers scale up very well, and more power through the wire makes them really sing.
Under=powering them, does not make them sound thin, but it causes them to become a bit too smooth and neutral....still good, but quite dynamically recessed.

I would hope that Dali makes a Open Version of these, that are just wired, as that would be something to hear.
Till then, .... :):)

Ok, last try --- same instructions.

Jan 4, 2024 at 8:59 AM Post #9 of 10
Ok, last try --- same instructions.

Thank you for the opportunity and thank you for the videos.
I appreciate it.

I never listen to DSP.
I bought the Dali's to hear them WIRED, only.
Also, when you have a gear that needs to be recharged to use it... then, what happens when the Proprietary battery system dies?
See, This is just one more way these greedy Headphone companies are gouging money from customers, as they create all this DSP-Wireless with Proprietary Batteries that have to be replaced by them for $$$$$$$$$$$., and im not going to play that game so that they can get more of my money for the same GEAR. (Unless its Pads).

This is why my ONE ANC set of Headphones, that i like, is the BOSE v2, as it has a AAA Battery that you can replace, easily and inexpensively.

I also never EQ my headphones.
I like their sound as designed, or i dont.

Happy Listening...:)

Jan 4, 2024 at 9:34 AM Post #10 of 10
I never listen to DSP.
I bought the Dali's to hear them WIRED, only.

Yes, this is very clear from your initial post and, of course, this is completely fine because this is your own personal preference. My intention before is maybe bringing for your attention the excellent sound quality in wireless mode that is NOT completely dependant in DSP like some/many people maybe thinking, one aspect that maybe you personally don't paying sufficient attention because of your absolute preference for wired headphones.

Also, when you have a gear that needs to be recharged to use it... then, what happens when the Proprietary battery system dies?
See, This is just one more way these greedy Headphone companies are gouging money from customers, as they create all this DSP-Wireless with Proprietary Batteries that have to be replaced by them for $$$$$$$$$$$., and im not going to play that game so that they can get more of my money for the same GEAR. (Unless its Pads).

Here you and I have very different approaches / opinions. You speaking of the exception of replacing earpads. For me, the battery replacement is similar like the replacement of earpads, like when you servicing your car and that is needing replacing some parts.

BUT, and this is VERY important, when you're looking at battery replacement, the truth is that, even when you using your headphones several hours a day, the battery replacement is only necessary after maybe 5-10 years, maybe even more, when you thinking of battery life cycles and how they perform after the initial 500 typical charges. 35 hours x 500 cycles...then, after that, your battery performing at 80% of when is new. This is why I mentioning 5-10 years or more long.

For me, personally, and in difference with you, of course, the wonderful convenience of wireless, now that the market is finally offering two genuine audiophile ANC headphones (Solitaire T and iO-12), is extremely difficult going wired again (with amp and possibly DAC too).

In the more bad scenario in reference to replacement of batteries in the (VERY) long term future, where maybe you don't want or can't replacing the battery, you will always having one excellent passive/wired headphone still in the iO-12 or Solitaire T.

T+A (manufacturer of the Solitaire T), for your information, confirming that they can replacing ALL parts of this headphone, including the battery. We don't have confirmation of this from Dali yet about the iO-12.

I also never EQ my headphones.
I like their sound as designed, or i dont.

I don't like EQ either. In my instructions before, I mentioning using "hi-fi" setting and ANC off because this is the default setting of the iO-12 in BT mode, so I'm just trying making sure you having the more neutral settings for testing the music that I linking above. (As you know, the iO-12 isn't have a companion app, but you having a physical button in the right ear cup with "hi-fi" or "bass", and a different button in same earcup for ANC on, ANC off or Transparency mode)

Happy Listening...:)

You too! :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back