Dali Headphones
Oct 24, 2019 at 8:05 AM Post #33 of 1,056
A little update, I give the pass through a test and can confirm it does skip the inbuilt dac on the headphones and use the twin sabres on my onkyo dap. When at 160 volume, full, it gets the same distortion I get on anything else until I lower it to 150. This is fantastic as if you run out of battery you still have an option to cable it through pass through.

Testing my DAP cabled vs my phone (Huawei p20 mate Pro) Bluetooth.... I'm very impressed. I go on to say that it's actually better than the DAP which is pretty unbelievable IMHO.

What is the DAC in the io6's? I know it's custom but who makes it?

And a follow up about the qualcomm aptx chip, why can't you disclose what it is? That might make me just open them up just to have a look

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2019 at 11:40 AM Post #34 of 1,056
Received mine a few hours ago and first impressions are positive. The build and comfort are top notch. The SQ is on par with the Beyerdynamic lagoon’s that I had for a few weeks but not better. I personally feel that the SQ is better than the momentum 3’s that I also had for a few weeks. I’m not quite audiofile enough to describe why these sound better than the Sennheisers’s, for me they just do. I’m surprised at how loud they go, I can’t get them in the red on my Samsung s10 without them being uncomfortably loud. The noise canceling seems about the same as the momentum’s but that needs a lot of further testing. I briefly tried them powered off and connected with the jack, the SQ is actually much better, that was a surprise. So far so good.
I was also expecting to recieve the PX7’s in the post today but they didn’t arrive, tomorrow once I get them, I’ll compare them to these.

Oct 24, 2019 at 3:08 PM Post #35 of 1,056
I spent nearly two hours comparing the PX7 and the IO-6. PX7's have a bosted bass and a relatively neutral midrange and treble. Vocals are very nicely defined (so nice that I suspect they must have some peaks somewhere) and Bowers really do something special when it comes to timing and rythm. It's hard to explain but they can really make your foot tap.
The Dali's on the other hand are the most natural and analogue-sounding pair of bluetooth headphones I have ever listened to. They are neutral all over the frequency range and extremely open sounding - I would say, probably the most open sounding pair of closed headphones I have listened to so far.

The treble does roll off a little - but it just adds to the smooth and neutral sound signature.

Between those two (and Momentum 3 and B&O H9 3'rd gen) the clear winner is Dali - hands down. It just sounded "right" with all my test tracks. However I ended up bringing the PX7's home because I could not wear the IO-6 with glasses on - which I do now and then. Otherwise the Dali's would have been a no brainer with their natural and most of all analogue sound signature that fit's well with the genres I listen to.

Oct 24, 2019 at 4:12 PM Post #36 of 1,056
I spent nearly two hours comparing the PX7 and the IO-6. PX7's have a bosted bass and a relatively neutral midrange and treble. Vocals are very nicely defined (so nice that I suspect they must have some peaks somewhere) and Bowers really do something special when it comes to timing and rythm. It's hard to explain but they can really make your foot tap.
The Dali's on the other hand are the most natural and analogue-sounding pair of bluetooth headphones I have ever listened to. They are neutral all over the frequency range and extremely open sounding - I would say, probably the most open sounding pair of closed headphones I have listened to so far.

The treble does roll off a little - but it just adds to the smooth and neutral sound signature.

Between those two (and Momentum 3 and B&O H9 3'rd gen) the clear winner is Dali - hands down. It just sounded "right" with all my test tracks. However I ended up bringing the PX7's home because I could not wear the IO-6 with glasses on - which I do now and then. Otherwise the Dali's would have been a no brainer with their natural and most of all analogue sound signature that fit's well with the genres I listen to.

Do you wear glasses with thick frames? I wear glasses all the time, but with relatively thin frames. They caused little issue on the PX7, but would be minded to get a more neutral sounding headphones, like the Dali’s seem to be.

Also, does anyone have a preference for either colour? Which one looks better in real life? Would go for Caramel White myself, but fear earpads and phones themselves showing dirt up more easily.

Oct 24, 2019 at 5:55 PM Post #37 of 1,056
I’m surprised at how loud they go, I can’t get them in the red on my Samsung s10 without them being uncomfortably loud.

Weird that is, I found them lacking a little. It may be the chip used in your s10 over my hawaei p20 mate Pro or the fact I've been using a duel amp/dac dap player that I've just got used to it been louder than most things. Interesting though.

Still giving them a run before I dig too deep though, weekend I will give them a fully going over

Oct 24, 2019 at 10:55 PM Post #38 of 1,056
Contacted a US dealer about getting an IO-6. We'll see how things go. Would be nice to get my hands on them sometime next month. First impressions here seem to lean toward my preferred sound signature rather than the big bass boost a lot of ANC headphones have so I'm looking forward to these more than any other options that have been on my radar lately.

Oct 25, 2019 at 2:06 AM Post #39 of 1,056
Well I've had a bit more time to play with these now and I'm highly impressed. The sound is neutral compared to the momentum 3's I had but they are really accurate, there's none of that false pushed tweeked sound. I'm a photographer and the sound on these is like when you first calibrate your monitor, for a brief period it feels flat but once it's done you can't go back to the horrible blueness of the uncalibrated screen. I guess the public gets what the public wants but here I'd rather hear sound like it was done if that's poss.
I also love the simplicity of these, no app, one level of ANC that just works great so far, adaptative hearing and off. The controls are also very simple and intuitive and it took all of 10s to get used to them.
Only down side so far is the headband once adjusted to my head won't go back in the case without adjusting back to small, also the case could be a bit harder.
So far I'm keeping these, if the PX7's that arrive today are any good my wife will get them, can't possibly see how the sound could be better than these.

Oct 25, 2019 at 2:28 AM Post #40 of 1,056
Well I've had a bit more time to play with these now and I'm highly impressed. The sound is neutral compared to the momentum 3's I had but they are really accurate, there's none of that false pushed tweeked sound. I'm a photographer and the sound on these is like when you first calibrate your monitor, for a brief period it feels flat but once it's done you can't go back to the horrible blueness of the uncalibrated screen. I guess the public gets what the public wants but here I'd rather hear sound like it was done if that's poss.
I also love the simplicity of these, no app, one level of ANC that just works great so far, adaptative hearing and off. The controls are also very simple and intuitive and it took all of 10s to get used to them.
Only down side so far is the headband once adjusted to my head won't go back in the case without adjusting back to small, also the case could be a bit harder.
So far I'm keeping these, if the PX7's that arrive today are any good my wife will get them, can't possibly see how the sound could be better than these.

Sounds really great! I have the PX7 but am debating to replace them with these, the sound is quite warm. How is the general comfort, and which colour did you choose? Thanks

Oct 25, 2019 at 3:20 AM Post #41 of 1,056
Comfort is amazing on these. I could imagine you could wear them the full 30 hours and not even notice they were there. 60 on the io4s. 2-3 hours is longest I've had them on so far but I can tell they would be fine indefinitely.

As I mentioned before, I've come from using in ears for last 20 or so years now and always found overheads annoying when I've dj'd or produced music in the past but these are something else when it comes to comfort. 11/10 (this is spinal tap)

Honestly comparing them to the Oberon 5 speakers I have, they are very close to that sound except for the bass on the the Oberon's is much more prominent which is something I'm not sure I like personally on dali speakers. I'm actually selling them and replaced the Oberon's with ATC 7's and to be fair, the io6's even give them a run for their money and in certain lower production quality they beat the atcs sound. However, I find that lower quality produced music is generally worse sounding on the atcs in general than dalis.

Dalis have always been good with lower quality production value (I mean bad production here, not flac/wav vs mp3 etc) and seem to get more out of the lower quality than pretty much anything else. Higher production values however the atcs will always win IMHO.

To say that the io6 headphones are as good has Oberon speakers is a huge compliment to dali on these wireless headphones. I can't believe how far wireless sound has come in the last 5 or so years. I would never of considered them back then, nevermind compare them to full blown speakers.

Compared to my etymotic er4 xr's, now that's an hard one for me. Still a bit of testing to do but they may just end up replacing my everyday in ear's.... Which I can't believe I'm saying!

If you like the sound of dali, your going love the headphones basically. Exactly what you'd expect but more if anything

I went with the black, something I've always hated about overhead is how they look in general on people. I actually find the black ones very subtle and don't feel like everyone is looking at me like I have in the past. Don't think I'll ever fully like overheads for their lack of discretness which is one of my favourite things about in ears. People wouldn't even know most of the time. This could be a bad thing for others but I don't like drawing attention and I don't feel the io6's do in black, the tan, cream ones however.... I just wouldn't personally. But that's me. Some people probably would want people to notice. They look very generic if anything in black. Perfect

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2019 at 4:56 AM Post #42 of 1,056
Sounds really great! I have the PX7 but am debating to replace them with these, the sound is quite warm. How is the general comfort, and which colour did you choose? Thanks

I'm finding the comfort really good, I've got big ears and the cups work for me. The cups on the momentum 3's are bigger and that's a good thing but these are fine. The head band on these is super comfortable and that's something that didn't feel as good on the momentum's, when I put my head back with those on, it slipped back off the head even when tight. The build quality is as good as it gets on the dali's, I reckon they've done a fab job.
The SQ on the Beyerdynamic lagoon's is equivalent to the Dali's, the only downside to them was the size of the cups and the creaking noises.
Not sure why these are so loud on my s10 plus, really can't go above 65-70% without them being uncomfortable, they are normal on the my Ipad pro.

Oct 25, 2019 at 6:36 AM Post #44 of 1,056
Guys, can somebody please measure and report the inner diameter of the cups? This will give us better idea whether they can fit our ears. Unfortunately I was not able to find any size online. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back