Dad's birthday: Best rollerpen for 200$??
Sep 2, 2002 at 4:42 AM Post #16 of 42
kwkarth is a major pen junkie! He'll be back online in a few days, maybe he can give you some more advice!

Sep 2, 2002 at 8:27 PM Post #19 of 42
Wasn't my first choice, but I did mention them
biggrin.gif

Sep 2, 2002 at 8:41 PM Post #20 of 42
Quote:

Originally posted by aeberbach
Gee, nobody mentioned Pelikan yet? That would be my first choice.

Right ! Pelikans are very fine pens, even better than Watermans on fountain pens !!

Aebrbach, do you know the Pelikans Blue Ocean and the Toledos?

A

Sep 2, 2002 at 8:41 PM Post #21 of 42
Quote:

Gee, nobody mentioned Pelikan yet? That would be my first choice.

Right ! Pelikans are very fine pens, even better than Watermans on fountain pens !!

Aebrbach, do you know the Pelikans Blue Ocean and the Toledos?

A

Sep 2, 2002 at 9:19 PM Post #22 of 42
Yes but I want a pen to use. The 1000s and 800s are special enough I think, and the Blue Ocean is especially impractical. Just like the clear demonstrators in various colors they show any drop of ink inside the cap. If you even dip those limited edition pens they drop in value.

Sep 2, 2002 at 9:25 PM Post #23 of 42
Quote:

Yes but I want a pen to use. The 1000s and 800s are special enough I think, and the Blue Ocean is especially impractical. Just like the clear demonstrators in various colors they show any drop of ink inside the cap. If you even dip those limited edition pens they drop in value.

I do not think about reselling then. In fact, you never have a pen like this, you are just keeping it for your next generation...

I heard that somewhere...
wink.gif

Sep 2, 2002 at 9:32 PM Post #24 of 42
I *love* writing, and have some expensive pens, although I still don't think I could justify spending all of $200 on a pen; the most I've ever spent on a pen is half of that. It must be comparable to how non-audiophiles view us audiophiles and our expensive headphone ways.

Sep 2, 2002 at 9:49 PM Post #25 of 42
Quote:

Originally posted by The Quality Guru
I *love* writing, and have some expensive pens, although I still don't think I could justify spending all of $200 on a pen; the most I've ever spent on a pen is half of that. It must be comparable to how non-audiophiles view us audiophiles and our expensive headphone ways.

But you are right. Here in audio we expend say, 1000 box and feel the difference. On pens, 100 or 1000 box, you write same way. I completely agree with you.

By the way, I had a rich girl friend...
very_evil_smiley.gif

Best

Ari

Sep 3, 2002 at 3:04 AM Post #26 of 42
St. Dupont. Nice black laquer finish with gold trim.
Else, go name brand...Cartier, Tiffany, Dunhill etc...Spend the bucks, cause most of these places will replace and exchange at no cost. Most of these high end pens use the same refills anyway. You did say rollerball?
md

Sep 3, 2002 at 3:25 AM Post #27 of 42
Jorg Hysek makes a very fine rollerball, however, you may be hard pressed to find one for $200 or less (check eBay). Aside from that, you can't go wrong with Mont Blanc or Pelikan.

Good luck!

Oct 18, 2002 at 3:44 AM Post #28 of 42
Let's put it this way...
I don't own any really expensive pens, nothing over about $700 each in value, but for the collection I have, if I could recoup my investment, I could have another really killer Stereo System or a very nice car. Almost all pens, like almost all headphones (at least the better ones) all have something that they each do very well and are worth owning if one appreciates each of those virtues.

One of the most unique collections for my money is the DuPont Orpheo Vertigo Collection and they're on sale right now at FountainPenHospital.com

S.T. Dupont brings the art of hand applied natural Chinese lacquering to new heights.The intriguing block design will seduce any pen connoisseur. The Orpheo by S.T. Dupont epitomizes the subtle, yet sophisticated style of a new generation of writing instruments. The gently curved shape is enhanced with a slightly rounded clip. The fountain pen is cartridge/converter fill. Two tone 18kt gold nib, available in M, F & B. The convertible roller can interchange to a roller, felt tip, and ball pen. The ball pen can convert into a pencil.

Orpheo Vertigo
Rating: ***** 1/2
Yes, that's 5 1/2 stars! Above the scale, I know, and exactly where this stellar leading-class pen actually is! There are pens and there are pens, and the kind of pen I care most about is one that wants to be used constantly, thanks to an aggregate of objective and subjective attractions: 1) reliably writes on first contact -- every time; 2) gracefully handles fast lines; 3) wonderfully weighted (subjective); 4) graceful mechanics (subjective), including the actions of top-off, top-on, or top-posted with alacrity and definite authority; 5) finishing grace to merit its inclusion with winning industrial designs of any category anywhere in the world; and 6) nib/feed design such that it functions flawlessly so that one can spend time with one’s thoughts while writing instead having to re-cross that last "t," as is often the case with lesser pens like the poorly made Viscontis.
The hand-applied natural Chinese lacquering makes me nearly forget plastic pens. The gold-plated appointments work as intended. The lacquer design is referred to as Vertigo because of its intriguing block design, planned to seduce the pen user. The Orpheo by Simon Tissot Dupont has looks, feel and function matched by very few other fountain pens in the world. To say that this pen is a life-long companion in the same category with the best animal friend you have ever known may be a bit over the top; but after having owned so many "name" pens, the Dupont tends to, well, spoil you. Purchased at Fountain Pen Hospital for $670.

Oct 18, 2002 at 3:47 AM Post #29 of 42
BTW, the Orpheo ballpoint/pencil will take a standard Parker type refill. Parker has recently come out with a gell roller version of their ballpoint refill. It is without equivocation, one of the best writing roller ball refills EVER. Great combination!!

Oct 18, 2002 at 4:39 AM Post #30 of 42
I'm partial to parker pens. They are some very nice pens overall.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back