DACs or Music Servers With Integral Volume Control
Feb 7, 2012 at 6:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Steve Eddy

Member of the Trade: The Audio Guild
Aka: TempAccount555

I'm trying to compile a list of DACs or music servers which incorporate volume control. Doesn't matter if it's in the digital or analog domain.

So far I'm aware of offerings from:

Cambridge Audio
Wyred 4 Sound
Antelope Audio
Berkeley Audio Labs
Resolution Audio
Lavry Engineering

What else am I missing?

Thanks!

se

Feb 7, 2012 at 10:33 PM Post #2 of 16
ESI Dr. DAC Prime
This unit has a small switch in the back where you can select fixed or variable stereo audio line-out.  The variable output is, of course, controlled by the volume knob.  For those of us who use multi-amped speakers with each power amp matched specifically to the frequency and impedance range of the driver (aka active design), the variable line-out feature is essential.

Feb 8, 2012 at 2:19 PM Post #4 of 16

Thanks, guys!

A related question.

Is anyone actually using the volume controls in their DACs? I know some people freak out at the thought of doing volume control in the digital domain (though some DACs do it in the analog domain), however when done right, and you don't have a lot of excess gain in the system, it can be just as transparent as in the analog domain.

se

Feb 8, 2012 at 5:23 PM Post #5 of 16
I use the volume control on my Lavry DA-10.  According to the manual, it's a digitally controlled analog control.  I drive my amp with the DA-10, which I find sounds a bit more transparent than going through my pre-amp.  I've also tried using the digital volume control in JRiver Music Center.  I'm aware that there's some controversy about using a digital volume control (throwing away bits, some state), but from what I read that is an unsettled matter.  I can't hear any difference between using the analog volume control on my DA-10 and the digital control in JRiver.

I've been thinking about the same question as posed in your thread.  I'm interested, as well, in remote control of the DAC's volume control.

Rich

Feb 9, 2012 at 12:47 AM Post #7 of 16
Apogee
Anedio
Mytek
Yulong
Fiio
Ressonessence

May I ask why you are compiling this list, especially since you don't take into account the nature of that volume control?
These days, I think that half of the DAC models include a volume control, it would become a very long list very soon.

Quote:

Thanks, guys!

A related question.

Is anyone actually using the volume controls in their DACs? I know some people freak out at the thought of doing volume control in the digital domain (though some DACs do it in the analog domain), however when done right, and you don't have a lot of excess gain in the system, it can be just as transparent as in the analog domain.

se

I actually use some attenuation via in my Eq software, which should be essentially the same as a digital volume control in the DAC.

Feb 9, 2012 at 1:03 AM Post #8 of 16
I use the volume in my eastern electric minimax tube dac (original version) to change the tonality and impedance, depending on the op amps and tube I'm using.

Feb 26, 2012 at 2:25 AM Post #10 of 16

Quote:

Thanks, guys!

A related question.

se

I use the volume control in my DAC-2 out to a pair of mono blocks for  listening on a pair of Gallo Stradas.   I really like this feature in the DAC-2,  sounds excellent to me.  So much so I decided to scrap my headphone rig entirely and head on back to a speaker rig permanently.   

Feb 26, 2012 at 2:29 AM Post #11 of 16

Quote:
I use the volume control in my DAC-2 out to a pair of mono blocks for  listening on a pair of Gallo Stradas.   I really like this feature in the DAC-2,  sounds excellent to me.  So much so I decided to scrap my headphone rig entirely and head on back to a speaker rig permanently.   

Thanks, WA!

So that explains the sale of your LCD-2's.
biggrin.gif

se

Feb 26, 2012 at 2:45 AM Post #12 of 16

Quote:
Thanks, WA!

So that explains the sale of your LCD-2's.
biggrin.gif

se

I just couldn't get used to the headphone paradigm.  I guess I'm just a dinosaur.   Give me music sculpted in the open air and sent to my ears from various points in time and space. The entire contraption on my head and music forced into my ears is simply too incongruous an experience for me. 

Guess I'll have to change my Avatar...

Feb 26, 2012 at 2:51 AM Post #13 of 16
Meier Audio Corda StageDAC - has 1 variable output with vol. control + 1 fixed output.

I use the variable output direct into power amp for speakers, fixed output into headphone amp.

Raksy.

Feb 26, 2012 at 11:56 AM Post #15 of 16

Quote:
I just couldn't get used to the headphone paradigm.  I guess I'm just a dinosaur.   Give me music sculpted in the open air and sent to my ears from various points in time and space. The entire contraption on my head and music forced into my ears is simply too incongruous an experience for me. 

Guess I'll have to change my Avatar...

I can relate. I love my speakers too. But headphones are nice when I'm working, which typically involves a lot of moving around from the house to the shop.

se

Users who are viewing this thread

Back