dAck! DAC, its a keeper!
Sep 25, 2003 at 5:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Dan H

100+ Head-Fier
Got my dAck! today along with the Ack RCA cables.
Right out of the box this little DAC is the best Redbook I have owned.
In my system I have used an MSB Link III and Perpetual Technologies P3A DAC. Also one box Philips SACD1000. I liked the MSB better than the P3A. The best way to describe the dAck! is detailed, clear, clean and open. I hear more depth to the sound, kind of an air or openness around the sound? Hard to explain.
I find myself smiling and tapping my foot along with the music. It seems much better than my Philips SACD 1000 Redbook.
One of the few audio items I bought new. Don't think this is a "flavor of the month" rig. Interested to see how it sounds after burn it.........Dan

Sep 25, 2003 at 5:56 AM Post #2 of 6
just did some research. that thing's battery powered? damn, if i had one of those and took it out with my optimus 3400 and my portable meta i imagine that would be a dumb good portable (kind of) system.

Sep 25, 2003 at 9:34 AM Post #3 of 6
Quote:

Originally posted by usc goose
just did some research. that thing's battery powered? damn, if i had one of those and took it out with my optimus 3400 and my portable meta i imagine that would be a dumb good portable (kind of) system.

It doesn't look very portable to me. From the pictures that I see on their website, it looks like a solid piece of metals with PS to match.

Sep 25, 2003 at 2:28 PM Post #4 of 6
i said "kind of".
tongue.gif

Sep 25, 2003 at 6:15 PM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

It doesn't look very portable to me. From the pictures that I see on their website, it looks like a solid piece of metals with PS to match.

Yea, it’s ~5lbs, a bit larger than a big paperback. Heavy gage steel with the rechargeable battery pack inside. The battery’s last 4 hours; wall-wart takes less than 30 minutes to recharge 100%.
I use it with an NEC CDROM MultiSpin 6X transport. Bolder 75ohm digital cable and a pair of dAck! RCA’s. My amp is the Millit 12 volt tube kit into HD600’s or ER-4S’s.
My system is not a backpack portable system, but is one I can take with me when we travel. With this combination I finally have audiophile quality sound regardless of the local power spec’s. I also use this while on the computer or am unable to use my main system.............Dan
http://ack.dhs.org/complete.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Back