DAC1 questions
Dec 3, 2006 at 7:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

doctorcilantro

1000+ Head-Fier
I am curious about the DAC1. Are the analog outputs in the back, the RCA and balanced XLR passive? Can I plug my phones into the front panel, which I think is controlled by the gain control knob, and have the RCA outs running into my tube preamp/monoblocks for my big rig? It is a converter so I was hoping that the non-headphone analog outs would just pass the signal on thus enabling me to use phones and big rig without hitting switches or changing connections.

from the DAC1 site:

HPA-2™ Headphone Outputs
Number of Headphone Outputs2
Output Connector¼" TRS
Output Impedance0 Ω
Output Level ControlStereo Control on Front Panel
Output Level Range (at 0 dBFS) into 60 Ω LoadOff to +21 dBu

thanks
DC

Dec 3, 2006 at 7:24 PM Post #2 of 13
Quote:

I am curious about the DAC1. Are the analog outputs in the back, the RCA and balanced XLR passive?

Passive? No, they are driven by op-amps. Volume control is active only when selected.

Quote:

Can I plug my phones into the front panel, which I think is controlled by the gain control knob, and have the RCA outs running into my tube preamp/monoblocks for my big rig?

Only if you use a separate preamp. Once you select the volume knob, it controls both phones and backside outputs. There is no way to individually adjust volume for phones and the line-outputs.

Dec 4, 2006 at 3:20 AM Post #3 of 13
Okay, yeah that sounds good. Sorry for the confused implications. The volume control can be left off until I decide to activate it for headphone listening. I may simply add a headphone amp later and connect the EMU>DAC1>Sunfire Tube to it.

Know of any very neutral headphone amps; simply gain boost since I already havea tube preamp...?

thanks
DC

Dec 4, 2006 at 5:23 AM Post #4 of 13
I just recieved the DAC1 recently. If you don't have a headphone amp you're happy with now, try out the DAC1's amp!!! I find it to be very good with my Senns (the manual says it's high current and rated for 60ohm phones......so my 300 ohm 600s and 650s could get some more voltage). One review I read of the DAC1 said it's hp amp sounds very similar to the Musical Fidelity Xcan V3. The thing about the DAC1 is that it leaves you wanting more....I now want to get a hi end headphone amp to go with this sweet source. People are recommending Single Power PPX Slam or Extreme to me.

BTW, when you have the output switch as "calibrated", the RCA,XLR outputs are not effected by the front volume knob (only the headphone outs are). "Variable" effects both (so you could try balancing your headphones to the XLR outputs).

Dec 4, 2006 at 9:58 AM Post #5 of 13
My primary source would be the big rig, so I would probably use XLR>RCA adapters for my tube preamp. That way I could leave the output to Calibrated and when I want to do some headphone listening choose variable....until I get a dedicated headphone amp.

thanks
DC

Dec 5, 2006 at 2:25 AM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by doctorcilantro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You guys think 735$ shipped is a good price for a like new unit, 6 months old...

v/r
DC

That's an excellent price! Can't go wrong with the DAC1 in my opinion....is fairly neutral for most cans.

Dec 5, 2006 at 3:51 AM Post #9 of 13
I think I am going to grab it. And, my preamp is tubed and I have tube monoblocks so I am hoping any of the "analytical" will really be more of a neutral that will end up gelling well with this setup. And the two headphone jacks are nice considering that many report the head amp is no slouch.

DC

Dec 6, 2006 at 11:08 AM Post #11 of 13
I am going to use the DAC1 for now since I listen more through my Sunfire pre & mini-mite monoblocks>floorstanders.

btw - why were folks mentioning using the DAC1 XLR as XLR>RCA with adapters?

DC

Dec 6, 2006 at 4:52 PM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by doctorcilantro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
btw - why were folks mentioning using the DAC1 XLR as XLR>RCA with adapters?

DC

That's a good question.....the DAC1 has RCA outputs (other DACs, like the Lavry doesn't). I'm just using the RCAs and they sound fine to me. I've been kind of weary to try getting into XLR>RCA wondering if that does anything to circuitry.

Dec 6, 2006 at 4:56 PM Post #13 of 13
I PM'd Utep in regards to this and other DAC1 tweaks. I have other gear with unused balanced connections and wondering if the benefits of balanced>unbalanced can be found any & all components or if this is particualar to the DAC1.

DC

Users who are viewing this thread

Back