DAC with Toslink input under £200
Jan 3, 2013 at 11:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Tangster

Headphoneus Supremus
Ideally it'd be a pure DAC, no headphone amp as I will be using my Schiit Asgard for headphones.
So far I've listed:
  1. Arcam rLink - £140
  2. Audioengine D1 - £140
  3. Musical Fidelity V-DAC II - £200

The Schiit Bifrost would be an option if the UK price wasn't a straight USD=£ conversion, 2nd hand would be considered as well.
A lower price is better, as long as I'm not sacrificing sound. The £200 is a hard limit, I will not be going over it unless I really like the product. If it doesn't have Toslink, I'm not interested, the entire point of this DAC is to eliminate an annoying electrical noise from my sound card that shows up with sensitive IEMs and my speakers.

Jan 6, 2013 at 11:01 AM Post #4 of 6

Quote:
How about a gamma2?

I'd rather buy a premade one. I don't have enough time to be ordering in parts for a DIY DAC.
At the moment I'm leaning towards a Audioengine D1 that I can used for both my main system and laptop or a D03K. Concerned the D03K will be too much of a downgrade from my Xonar.

Jan 6, 2013 at 12:16 PM Post #5 of 6
I was actually thinking of a used one, I have one (which I'm not selling) and it's very good.

Jan 7, 2013 at 3:00 PM Post #6 of 6
Quote:
 Concerned the D03K will be too much of a downgrade from my Xonar.

If your Xonar does not produce noise and the spec's are good on it, I'm not sure you are going to hear much difference unless you go big. Of course I have a $1600 DAC (which I am selling) but I have learned a few things since buying that. I mentioned the D03K since it is so cheap and easy to return to Amazon if you don't care for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back