DAC upgrade from emu 0404 usb
May 13, 2009 at 4:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

twylight

500+ Head-Fier
I think I would like to move up in DACs. I like the emu but my rig is a little brighter than I want it to be.

I am really enjoying a USB connection because I have so much drama with drivers and vista 64.

I would like something with a fuller, less bright sound, USB/coax/optical type connections - no need for an amp or headphone jack at all.

Any advise out there from people who actually own a 0404 and upgraded?

May 13, 2009 at 4:20 PM Post #2 of 7
Best DAC for the money is a modified Beresford DAC called the Super Berry done by K Works in Clifton, NJ. It has rivaled my MSB Signature Platinum III DAC (17K) vs ballpark $800 with all the right mods done. Benchmark DAC didn't even stand a chance against the Super Berry. Call Igor, owner of K Works, 973-340-2908. He'll give you the details.

May 13, 2009 at 5:05 PM Post #3 of 7
Not sure what paulllaser is smoking but if there's any spare throw it my way.

My suggestions for best in category value for money DAC's are as follows.

Beresford TC-7520 Stereo Audio Digital to Analogue Converter USB/COAX/TOSLINK

Cambridge Audio DACMAGIC CAMBRIDGE AUDIO DACMAGIC-08-BLK at Richer Sounds - HI-FI Separates, Home Cinema, Speakers, MP3 DVD Portables, Plasma LCD, etc.

Welcome to Musical Fidelity

Musical Fidelity V-DAC.

Take your pick from one of those, there all very good DAC's for the money.

May 14, 2009 at 2:40 AM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by selkin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
and maybe a bit brighter update too?

Possibly, though I listen primarily to speakers with a metal tweeter and don't find the gamma fatiguing. I like the gamma's tonal accuracy, but a TADAC with its tube based output stage was warmer. I also tried a Valab and liked it's front row presentation and immediacy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back