DAC & SS Amp setup to replace Topping L70 and E70 Velvet
Apr 4, 2024 at 6:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Pimpmaster McGooby

New Head-Fier
I've used a Topping L70 and E70 Velvet for the past year without much issue, however as of late I've heard a lot of "Topping is bad" rhetoric, mostly involving things like a lack of "Spaciousness" and "Transients" (whatever that is).

Now I've never really been too big on the "source gear makes a big difference past a few hundred dollars" philosophy, but I have also come to understand that things that cannot be measured can still have a perceived effect, so my fear is that I am holding back my headphones with poorly matched source components. And frankly, the sheer possibility is itching my brain somewhat. That's why I am now looking into a complete revamp of my source components so I can call it quits on that end and focus on headphones instead.

I have already ordered a Eufonika Model H5DS, which should hopefully serve me well for high impedance dynamic drivers, but I would also like a nice desktop SS-Amp for more sensitive and low-impedance headphones and IEMs (and if the tube sound gets too boring). While also getting a DAC that pairs well with said Amps and a couple specific headphones (HD800S, HD600, ZMF Atrium and Audeze LCD-X), I would especially like to expand the soundstage of the HD800S if such a thing is even possible (I understand that I sound crazy, but people do make such claims).

My short list currently is the Singxer SA-1, as well as the Denafrips Ares 12th-1. But am wondering if I am overlooking some obvious choices, like the Bifrost 2-64 for instance, or if I am being a complete audiophool by even trying to achieve some sort of uplift by swapping out the Topping stack.

As far as Amps go, I would like it to do well with my daily driver, the Sennheiser HD800S and I do intend to get a ZMF Atrium this year, but also drive my IE600s and LCD-X well. I would also like a 4-pin XLR and/or 4.4mm output as I have a lot of cables with those terminations.

For the DAC, I would like one that has both XLR and RCA inputs so that I may switch between the tube amp and Solid State amplifier without having to fumble with connectors. And the 800S+Atrium matching as my main priority.

TLDR: What DAC and Solid State Amp is good for HD800S, ZMF Atrium and potentially LCD-X? DAC budget is around $1000, Amp is around the same, maybe a bit less (on account of Tube amp ownership).

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2024 at 7:40 PM Post #2 of 6
I've had both of them. They're both completely transparent and it's so unlikely you'll be able to tell the difference between it and most things. The Topping A70Pro is excellent and I have an SMSL SP400 which is the fun amplifier, fast and dynamic with drums sounding more dynamic.
Many good amps are hitting 120 SINAD and are sounding all the same with complete transparency. The SMSL stuff sounds a little faster, like notes aren't held open as long.
Last week I had an HD800S and a stack I built for a customer with the Topping A70Pro/D70 Octo was pretty amazing though. The SMSL SP400 and M400 just sounds more vibrant though.

Apr 4, 2024 at 8:59 PM Post #5 of 6
I recently got the Geshelli J2S (DAC) w/Sparkos opamps, and the Geshelli E2 (amp). These swapped out a Topping E70V + xDuoo MT-604. So far I'm liking them a lot.

They've worked well with Atrium Closed, Focal Clear OG, Arya Stealth, and DCA E3.

The J2S has XLR and RCA out. You can also use a different opamp for the RCA (requires one) than the XLR (requires two).

Apr 8, 2024 at 7:57 PM Post #6 of 6
I've used a Topping L70 and E70 Velvet for the past year without much issue, however as of late I've heard a lot of "Topping is bad" rhetoric, mostly involving things like a lack of "Spaciousness" and "Transients" (whatever that is).

Now I've never really been too big on the "source gear makes a big difference past a few hundred dollars" philosophy, but I have also come to understand that things that cannot be measured can still have a perceived effect, so my fear is that I am holding back my headphones with poorly matched source components. And frankly, the sheer possibility is itching my brain somewhat. That's why I am now looking into a complete revamp of my source components so I can call it quits on that end and focus on headphones instead.

I have already ordered a Eufonika Model H5DS, which should hopefully serve me well for high impedance dynamic drivers, but I would also like a nice desktop SS-Amp for more sensitive and low-impedance headphones and IEMs (and if the tube sound gets too boring). While also getting a DAC that pairs well with said Amps and a couple specific headphones (HD800S, HD600, ZMF Atrium and Audeze LCD-X), I would especially like to expand the soundstage of the HD800S if such a thing is even possible (I understand that I sound crazy, but people do make such claims).

My short list currently is the Singxer SA-1, as well as the Denafrips Ares 12th-1. But am wondering if I am overlooking some obvious choices, like the Bifrost 2-64 for instance, or if I am being a complete audiophool by even trying to achieve some sort of uplift by swapping out the Topping stack.

As far as Amps go, I would like it to do well with my daily driver, the Sennheiser HD800S and I do intend to get a ZMF Atrium this year, but also drive my IE600s and LCD-X well. I would also like a 4-pin XLR and/or 4.4mm output as I have a lot of cables with those terminations.

For the DAC, I would like one that has both XLR and RCA inputs so that I may switch between the tube amp and Solid State amplifier without having to fumble with connectors. And the 800S+Atrium matching as my main priority.

TLDR: What DAC and Solid State Amp is good for HD800S, ZMF Atrium and potentially LCD-X? DAC budget is around $1000, Amp is around the same, maybe a bit less (on account of Tube amp ownership).
I recently upgraded from a Topping to the Bifrost. Here is what I had to say about it.

After spending many hours over the last two days, I can say, the BF2/64 is a solid upgrade to what I had before.

Before, I was running Topping DX7Pro>Little Bear Selector Box>Emotiva Active Speakers, or DX7Pro>Little Bear Selector Box>Audio-GD NFB-28>Headphones

Since the Bifrost doesn't have volume control, I need to run everything through the NFB-28. So I've gotten rid of the Little Bear in my chain. And I've upgraded my interconnect to a shorter, thicker gauge set of XLRs.

Current chain looks like this: Bifrost>NFB-28>Speakers || Headphones.

I tell you all this to emphasize more has changed than merely the DAC.

Whether we're talking headphones or speakers, the balance is noticeably warmer, with more low-end impact and smoother highs. The midrange possesses a weight and almost tangible presence it previously lacked. Everything conveys a more natural and organic quality.

While I never had any outright complaints with the Topping DAC, comparatively, it is thinner, colder, and more tinny sounding. Something I could only hear after switching to Schiit.

As for a new SS amp, that can expand your soundstage and deliver general improvements, my research has led me to Violectric. I have the V281 Reissue arriving hopefully this week. But there are also less expensive options which should get you most of the way there.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back