DAC recommendations?
Dec 2, 2007 at 6:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

Jaska

Headphoneus Supremus
I have been thinking of getting a Gilmore Lite headphone amplifier, and would be listening for the most part with my HD-580s and K-271S and occasionally my ER-4S. What I lack at this point is a DAC. Some of the options I'm considering are 1) adding a PCI soundcard such as the M-Audio 2496 and using the analog RCA outputs to connect to the amp, 2) using a FireWire device such as the M-Audio FireWire Audiophile and connecting via the RCA line outputs to the amp, or 3) spending perhaps too much money on a new MicroDAC, using the USB interface, and connecting to the amp with a mini-to-RCA interconnect.

I'm quite sure I'll be keeping any new home amp I buy for a long time, but the computer is bound to change someday, so I'm a bit hesitant to buy even an inexpensive (€99) PCI soundcard. I don't seem to be able to come up with any good information concerning the M-Audio FireWire Audiophile, but I definitely don't want the E-MU 0404--too many gadgets and useless knobs for my taste; also, I like that the FireWire Audiophile is (or can be) bus powered as I'm running out of electrical outlets. So, would this device fill the need well enough, or is it really necessary to spend $399 (plus high shipping costs) for something like the MicroDAC?

Dec 9, 2007 at 2:43 PM Post #2 of 20
Bump.

Dec 9, 2007 at 9:39 PM Post #4 of 20
Thanks for the comment. I have been considering, with lots of reading, that there may be better matches in terms of home/desktop amps for the headphones in question. I do plan to add a DT-770 Pro/80 to the lineup in the future (used to own these), and I suspect that the Gilmore Lite might serve to offset certain qualities I didn't initially like about the bass monsters.

Dec 10, 2007 at 1:21 AM Post #6 of 20
I'd go as far as to second that, actually. The Stello is a very nice source that gives the warmth I was talking about. In the same price range you might also consider a DAC1.

Dec 10, 2007 at 1:30 AM Post #7 of 20
I would buy the microdac, especially since the new 2007 models are upgraded. You will not be disappointed.

Dec 10, 2007 at 6:39 AM Post #8 of 20
I own the Gilmore Lite with DPS-'06 Microdac-Modified Audigy 4 soundcard and use it with Grados...I personally love it.I had Senn. 595's a while back and it was a very good match also.I would recommend you go for the Microdac to smooth out the harsh digital tunes-it will help...that I can guarantee being a Microdac owner .

I'm so fond of Headrooms Microdac I'm itching for the new ultra micro dac something terrible.If you decide to purchase the '07 version or better yet the Ultra I think you will thoroughly enjoy either one.

Dec 10, 2007 at 7:00 AM Post #9 of 20
I owned a '06 MicroDAC which was so good I am tempted to get an '07. I also have a Gilmore on the way
wink.gif
so any opinions from people who acutally own this combo would be much appreciated.

Dec 10, 2007 at 7:06 PM Post #10 of 20
OK, I've been wanting to reward the kind folks at HeadRoom with a purchase for a long time now, so I think I will just buy the MicroDAC. Other options look interesting as well, but I would have trouble justifying (even to myself) spending DAC1 money on a DAC.

Dec 11, 2007 at 5:39 PM Post #11 of 20
Hi,
Never having heard those phones, I can't recommend a dac, but i do have a gilmore lite, with "warm" sounding cans, the Denon D2000s.

I've extensively measured the Gilmore, into resistive and headphone loads. This thing has absolutely no distortion. Better yet, while most analog stages seem to have low distortion numbers, the distorton they produce is mostly very high harmonics (which can be grating and audible despite the low number). The Glite has no upper harmonic distortion. You get a tiny bit of second, and a tiny bit of third, that's it. No hyped detail, no "warm" bass.

What I've found with it is that it doesn't editorialize at all. Doesn't accenuate any frequency range. I think its lack of low frequency distortion is what some characterize as bass light, but there's no way its bass light with my Denons.

So, really your question should be "which dac goes with these headphone".

Dave

Dec 12, 2007 at 5:21 AM Post #12 of 20
I've recently started using a Monica USB (from diyparadise.com) @ 18V with a Gilmore Lite (Elpac power supply) at work, connected to a Macbook Pro and my collection of Apple Lossless tracks in iTunes. Sounds just great on Senn 650s.

Dec 12, 2007 at 8:48 AM Post #13 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaska /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OK, I've been wanting to reward the kind folks at HeadRoom with a purchase for a long time now, so I think I will just buy the MicroDAC. Other options look interesting as well, but I would have trouble justifying (even to myself) spending DAC1 money on a DAC.

Just so you know, the Micro amp will be a huge downgrade from the DAC1.. & is worth every cent I paid for it.. & the DAC1 has a headphone amp too that is comparable to the Glite minus the DSP..

Dec 12, 2007 at 6:41 PM Post #14 of 20
Lavry DAC is a good choice too. Supposedly it has a sound characteristics very similar to the Gilmore lite. the DAC which has a headphone amp too that is comparable to the Glite minus the DSP..think that fits the lavry more than the DAC1. If i didnt have a GS1/Glite already, i wouldve bought this DAC. Since i have one, i figured i want the DAC1's attributes to synergize with my lower end computer source.

i really dont believe the DAC1's headphone amp is even close to the gilmore lite. It's definitely useable though if you bought the DAC1 first and then saved for an amp. I have yet to try the balanced output though (when my adapters get here) which everyone raves about. For now i suggest using the DAC1 as a DAC especially if you already have a gilmore lite.

The DAC1's strength over the other DACS in its competing class is apparently the ultralock technology that keeps it jitterfree. I took that as works exceptionally well with lesser than the highest end digital sources/transports (computer/<1000 CDPs). Apparently it can be modified to sound far better...looks expensive though.

DAC1 is an awesome source though. I highly recommend it

Dec 12, 2007 at 7:46 PM Post #15 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just so you know, the Micro amp will be a huge downgrade from the DAC1.. & is worth every cent I paid for it. & the DAC1 has a headphone amp too that is comparable to the Glite minus the DSP..

You make some good points. I still haven't bought a DAC (and I think, if the performance of the MicroAmp isn't so great, that the price is too high--would have been nice if the 2007 model change kept the more reasonable previous pricing), so I'm considering my options as far as that's concerned. I downloaded and read the manual for the DAC1, and it does look quite promising. I would guess that not that many DAC1 owners stick with the built-in headphone amplifier, but I may be wrong.

One of these days I will need to make it to some hi-fi meet in here Finland to have a listen to some better gear. I will also do some research on DACs in the meantime. Ideally, I'd want the best I can get for around $400, and don't need USB or headphone capabilities--just a pure and simple DAC, with a strong preference that it be made in the USA or EU.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back