DAC Recommendations [DAC1, Mini DAC, m902B, DAC3, DA100 Signature or Digital Link III]
Feb 9, 2009 at 3:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

HtdHvy

New Head-Fier
I need some advice for a DAC purchase.

The 7 I’m considering are:

Lavry DA10
Benchmark DAC1
Apogee Mini DAC
Stello DA100 Signature
PS Audio Digital Link III
Grace m902B
Bel Canto DAC3

Before you ask, I have used the search feature and I have already read many of the reviews on this forum including Iron_Dreamer’s DAC-Amp battle. Excellent write up.

How I’m using it:

Mainly for playing Apple Lossless files (16bit/44.1KHz CD rips & 24bit/96KHz DVD-A rips) from an AppleTV, the Optical output of my Macbook Pro or the coax digital output of my PC. I’ll also be using it with my CD players from time to time.

Ok so what im looking for:

1. Cleanest sounding most versatile DAC which can be used in a variety of systems. I’ll be using this with my headphones as well as my reference stereo system. Essentially I don’t want something that only sounds awesome with a particular amp/head phone combo.

2. XLR Outputs. (I’ll be using these with my stereo system, and using the unbalanced with my headphone amps)

3. Super low to non-existent jitter. I know the DAC1 re-clocks the incoming stream to eliminate jitter. Do any of the other DACs do this or something similar? How do they compare against each other with regards to jitter?

I would like, but not a must have:

24bit/192KHz input (I know the DAC1 and m902B have this and the DA10 and DA100S do not). I would like this feature just so the unit is future proof incase an SACD/DVD-A successor arises and offers high resolution output over coax/optical. I know, probably wont happen.

What I have no use for:

1. Built-in Headphone Amp (its not a negative for sure, but I already have a few)

2. Preamp capabilities (I understand the Lavry has this and again I don’t need it)

Any thoughts?

I know Iron_Dreamer compared most of these and concluded that they were about equal. He had the DA10, Mini DAC, DAC1 all tying with the DA100 being just below the rest. I’m wondering if the added balanced output on the DA100 Signature will move it up to the top tier. Also I’m wondering how the Digital Link III fares against all the rest. I read Edwood’s comparison of the m902, DAC1, DAC-2 but I have not seen any comparisons with the m902B (the balanced version of the m902).

Sorry for the lengthy intro. Thanks in advance!

Feb 10, 2009 at 1:41 AM Post #2 of 13
there's a Lavry DA11 now. i would add the Bel Canto DAC3 to the list. i was looking into getting one before i purchased my 306. also, it's going to be hard to find comparisons of all of those units. best bet is to choose the one that suits your needs the most and is generally available through the used market place.

Feb 10, 2009 at 1:25 PM Post #3 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
there's a Lavry DA11 now. i would add the Bel Canto DAC3 to the list. i was looking into getting one before i purchased my 306.

I added the DAC3. I had looked at it originally but had left it off my list because it was a little bit pricier than the rest. Do you know how it compares sonically to the rest on my list?

Feb 11, 2011 at 8:47 PM Post #6 of 13

I'm just giving this a bump as I'm trying to decide between a M902b and a Dac 1.
USB not needed so much, for recording studio monitoring and headphone use.

Any currant thoughts?
Appreciate it.

Feb 11, 2011 at 9:26 PM Post #7 of 13

Quote:

I'm just giving this a bump as I'm trying to decide between a M902b and a Dac 1.

Any currant thoughts?
Appreciate it.

I've owned both the DAC1 Pre and now have the m902 (can't speak to the balanced unit). I enjoyed owning both immensely. I decided to sell my Pre and keep the m902, mainly based on features. I liked the remote (which I've since broken) and digital display. I don't remember much about the difference in sound quality between the two, except for the fact that the DAC1 seemed a little more detailed to my ear. Of all the DACs I have owned, I felt like the DAC1 was the closest to the "truth". But the m902 is no slouch either. If the DAC1 is detailed, the m902 sounds a little smoother.

Feb 11, 2011 at 10:36 PM Post #8 of 13

Quote:
Quote:

Any currant thoughts?
Appreciate it.

I've owned both the DAC1 Pre and now have the m902 (can't speak to the balanced unit). I enjoyed owning both immensely. I decided to sell my Pre and keep the m902, mainly based on features. I liked the remote (which I've since broken) and digital display. I don't remember much about the difference in sound quality between the two, except for the fact that the DAC1 seemed a little more detailed to my ear. Of all the DACs I have owned, I felt like the DAC1 was the closest to the "truth". But the m902 is no slouch either. If the DAC1 is detailed, the m902 sounds a little smoother.

Good to hear. I've been leaning towards the M902b and also for the features to some degree.
Having trouble making a decision though. With other options out there now like the Burson HA160D, I'm pretty confused.

It seems to compare pretty well even to things above my budget like the Antelope and Weiss. I'm not yet sure though if it would be a good choice for a balanced output into my Shadow Hills Equinox which is XLR balanced in. Need to make a decision by Monday, Mixing next week.
Thanks for any other thoughts!

Feb 12, 2011 at 3:48 AM Post #9 of 13

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Any currant thoughts?
Appreciate it.

Good to hear. I've been leaning towards the M902b and also for the features to some degree.
Having trouble making a decision though. With other options out there now like the Burson HA160D, I'm pretty confused.

It seems to compare pretty well even to things above my budget like the Antelope and Weiss. I'm not yet sure though if it would be a good choice for a balanced output into my Shadow Hills Equinox which is XLR balanced in. Need to make a decision by Monday, Mixing next week.
Thanks for any other thoughts!

I just remembered one of the features that I really like. The ability to use discrete volume controls for the headphone out and for the unbalanced outputs. I have my m902 connected to an integrated amplifier. It's nice that I don't have to adjust the volume each time I switch from headphones to amplifier. Each one has it's own level (which can be configured in memory for each startup). Add to that the crossfeed and balance controls, and you have a pretty nice feature set.

Feb 12, 2011 at 7:52 AM Post #10 of 13
Good points.

It seems for me, it's coming down to the M902b VRS the Burson HA160D.

My concern is the Grace is possibly more of a tailor fit for studio use and not sure what kind of performer the Burson would be in that environment.

Hope to hear more thoughts on the Burson DAC quality vrs the Grace.

Mar 7, 2011 at 6:42 PM Post #12 of 13
Hey chris.d.m!  I've owned my Grace for a few months now and LOVE it.  Not sure which headphones you are going to be using with it, but I'm pretty sure you'll like the results.  I did just pick up a m903 though.  So if you're interested I have my m902b for sale, if you haven't bought one yet.  Let me know!

Mar 8, 2011 at 8:19 PM Post #13 of 13
Thanks but the M902B arrived in the mail just yesterday. I have yet to check it out.

I'm trying to decide whether the Denon 2000's or Sennheiser 580 or 600's might be a good upgrade from where I'm at now to go w/ the M902B.

I use AT ATH50's for tracking and also have Alessandro MS1's for mix checking. They're not bad but feeling some desire for a better mix check headphone.

Any suggestions appreciated!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back