DAC / Power Issues
Apr 28, 2012 at 9:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

TWIFOSP

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm not sure where the best place to post this, so I'm going to give it a shot here first.

I'm experiencing a strange issue with my DAC.  I will be playing sound to it via my computer (WASAPI) and if there are any changes to the power supply in the room the sound will stop playing and the software that is synced to the software will lock up.  What is a change to a power supply?  Plugging in headphones to an amp that is connected via the same power strip.  Turning off my ceiling fan.  Things like that.

The dac never blinks or appears to have a problem. If I restart the sound feed, everything is fine.

This problem is repeatable and I'm worried there may be a problem with the power supply to this room.  Does anyone have any ideas to test or an equipment suggestion on how to mitigate something like this?

Apr 29, 2012 at 12:03 AM Post #2 of 2
Here are a couple of ideas.

First, run an extension cord to another outlet on a different circuit and plug the DAC in there.  See if that fixes the problem.

That should tell you whether the problem is with the electrical circuit or the DAC.

You may have too many devices on the circuit.  I had that problem  and when I fired up my laser printer the overhead light would dim. Not a good sign. Moved my power amp and other equipment for my speaker rig to another circuit, problem solved.

Is your power strip just a power strip?  You may need one with line conditioning and voltage regulation capability.

The DAC itself won't pull much power but a quick blip in the power could cause it to lose its signal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back