Dac or Soundcard ?
Oct 20, 2009 at 2:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Ozer

100+ Head-Fier
I know this has a little with computers to do and I should maybe be posting in the computer section, but here I get more answers and maybe better.....

Just a simple question. If I'm going to have my headphones and amp connected to my computer, should I have a Dac between the soundcard and amp, or should a better soundcard ?? And is an external soundcard better than internal ? With external you most have USB-cable... is USB-cable any good, doesn't it have big loss on it's way ?

If soundcard just gives you more options on the computer, like all the settings you have on your soundcard program, I will buy a Dac..... I don't use any options on the soundcard I have now (just the basic that you can get with a Dac too..) I'm only after SQ not anything else....

I don't talk about cheap soundcards so you know, not any X-fi stuff, more like 500-600$...

Oct 20, 2009 at 2:21 PM Post #2 of 3
only reason id use a soundcard is for 3D. And for that id use an external. for music, id get a DAC. The soundcard has nothing to do with anything once ur DAC is plugged in. Its bypassed so theres no DAc between the soundcard and amp, but between ur digital signal and ur amp. Me myself, don't think optical, coax or USB makes much of a difference. I use optical for my reciever, im not sure if USB can deliver the same surround capabilities as optical. It probably can.
And buying expensive USB cables is all voodoo. Its ones and zeroes, and by buying an expensive usb cable... it wont make the sound "more crisp and open".

Oct 20, 2009 at 3:38 PM Post #3 of 3
Unless you need one device for both output and input I say you are better of with an external DAC instead of an external sound card. That way you put your money where they are most needed.

Like the guy above I do not think different USB cables make an audible difference. So just use the one provided with the DAC/soundcard and be happy.
smile.gif

I suggest you read a bit through this thread, then search or post specific questions when you have nailed it down to a handful (or less) units: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f46/al...pt-2-a-325941/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back