DAC-only to pair with Schiit Lyr. Spitfire MKII, V-DAC, UDAC2, etc?
Mar 24, 2011 at 4:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8
Just ordered the Lyr to pair with my D7000, and probably the HE-4. I'm either gonna temporarily use the Fiio E7 (once the L7 line out connector is released) until I get a higher end DAC, or buy the UDAC2 as a temporary solution until Schiit releases their DAC. I'm leaning on doing both for now.

Still, I'd like to know what's out there that has various inputs, 24/96 through USB, and is possibly sold through Amazon.

I see the minimalistic V-DAC (does it do true 24/96?), the Spitfire MK.II (not sure it does 24/96), and a few others on Amazon. I was looking into the HRT Streamer II+ but saw it only accepts USB, so its a no go.

The Music Hall 25.3 is a bit overwhelming for a guy like me, as I don't need or want all those features...

Remember, the main purpose is a DAC. I have ZERO need for internal amplification. And it must be sold through Amazon, unless it's $200 or cheaper outside.

I just hope Schiit releases some mock ups and info on their DAC... I rather wait for it... I'm a sucker for brand uniformity and loyalty (Pioneer everything in my car, full Fiio secondary setup, Samsung only TVs, etc).

Mar 24, 2011 at 9:18 PM Post #2 of 8

Quote:
Just ordered the Lyr to pair with my D7000, and probably the HE-4. I'm either gonna temporarily use the Fiio E7 (once the L7 line out connector is released) until I get a higher end DAC, or buy the UDAC2 as a temporary solution until Schiit releases their DAC. I'm leaning on doing both for now.

Still, I'd like to know what's out there that has various inputs, 24/96 through USB, and is possibly sold through Amazon.

I see the minimalistic V-DAC (does it do true 24/96?), the Spitfire MK.II (not sure it does 24/96), and a few others on Amazon. I was looking into the HRT Streamer II+ but saw it only accepts USB, so its a no go.

The Music Hall 25.3 is a bit overwhelming for a guy like me, as I don't need or want all those features...

Remember, the main purpose is a DAC. I have ZERO need for internal amplification. And it must be sold through Amazon, unless it's $200 or cheaper outside.

I just hope Schiit releases some mock ups and info on their DAC... I rather wait for it... I'm a sucker for brand uniformity and loyalty (Pioneer everything in my car, full Fiio secondary setup, Samsung only TVs, etc).

I'm guessing your using the dac for your netbook, what is wrong with just usb. What else are you using it for?

Mar 24, 2011 at 10:28 PM Post #3 of 8
My netbook just died on me a few days ago. I'm expecting a pretty good desktop in over a week. In any case, I want versatility for the future. USB only isn't exactly versatile.

Mar 24, 2011 at 11:22 PM Post #4 of 8
O ok..I'm in the same boat as you, we basically have the same stuff, same interests. The dac part has really got me scratching my head. If Schiit had one out now it would be a no brainer.

Mar 24, 2011 at 11:35 PM Post #5 of 8
Yeah. I'm considering waiting on the Schiit DAC, and just using the E7 for now, or UDAC2, since it doesnt exactly break my wallet, and is more transparent than the E7 which is known to be on the warm side.

Mar 24, 2011 at 11:51 PM Post #6 of 8
Probably a good choice, but that wait is probably gonna suck getting the full benefits of the Lyr.

Jun 29, 2011 at 12:39 AM Post #7 of 8
I was looking into getting the IloveTW DAC from Firestone to go with the Schiit Lyr.

anyone have any input on that combo?

Alternatively the Audio-gd NFB-12 which is its own HP amp as well as a DAC for only $200

Jun 29, 2011 at 7:09 AM Post #8 of 8
Im on the same boat too, currently using the Muse TDA1543x4 NOS DAC, it's just a $60 DAC but performs amazingly with the Lyr and LCD2. Guess it's more than enough to keep me patient for the upcoming Schiit DAC. You should give it a shot, 60 bucks is not a big deal imho.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back