DAC for my Celestion SL6si 's ?
May 26, 2011 at 10:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

DogMeat

100+ Head-Fier
Foolin' around with my gear, want to see if I can make these great little speakers sing from my iMac.
They are harder to drive than the Celestion 3bs's I have running in the small spare room QUITE NICELY off a Qinpu. I think a tubie is the best way to do justice to these FINE speakers that got me through college, and I am wondering what anybody can suggest for a decent audio DAC to run these.
Hybrid?

Thanks very much in advance!
smile.gif

May 26, 2011 at 12:04 PM Post #2 of 6
Wyred4Sound DAC2.  If Asych USB isn't an issue Musical Fidelity M1 DAC.  If you've got bigger bucks go Weiss or Wavelength.

May 26, 2011 at 11:58 PM Post #3 of 6
I owned a pair of SL6S's for 10 years and they really need power to get them going since they were only had a SPL of 84db at 1w at 1M rating.  I used a pair of Primare mono blocks that were rated at 200 watts to power my pair.  As for a DAC that really up to your taste on what kind of sound you are looking for.  Those speaker can throw a huge soundstage with pinpoint imaging.  Even with the aluminum tweeters I never found them to be edgy.  I would not suggest tubes unless you like your bass and treble rolled off.

May 27, 2011 at 8:30 AM Post #4 of 6
Hmmm.
Sounds like a DAC-to-amp combo might be the more appropriate direction to go.
I had sort of wanted to avoid too much gear because of space considerations, but sound,(of course), is the bigger priority. Otherwise, I'd just stick with squeeky little computer speakers.

As someone who's new to translating digital music to high end sound gear, I'm still fishing for directions on which way to go.
So I certainly appreciate everybody's input, THANKS!  

May 28, 2011 at 2:20 AM Post #5 of 6
My first high-end speakers were a pair of Celestion SL-12Si's (SL-6Si with second woofer). From there I moved up to the SL-700SE (SL-6Si in aluminum aerolam enclosure). The best sound I ever got from the SL-700s were through a pair of push-pull KT88 tube monoblocks. For your SL-6Si's, you need punchy & extended push-pull tube amp using EL84 (parallel), EL34, or KT88s to make them sing. If you go for something soft & euphonic, you won't hear them at their best.

May 28, 2011 at 9:08 AM Post #6 of 6
Yes, I also think a punchy tube amp is a good way to go. I have just that sort of amp, with the KT-88 set on there, and it is running them now, but I am still trying to decide on a DAC or DAC/amp combo for them. A DAC that translates well and with adequate power seems like what I want. And I am trying to move these into the computer room set-up, hence the desire for info on what I can do to power these with something a little smaller, and get the sound out of the computer as well.

Thanks for your remarks on the tubes! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back