DAC and amp advice for DT1990 or Hifiman Sundara (undecided)
Aug 29, 2018 at 12:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

AthenaZephyrian

100+ Head-Fier
I'm considering a Sundara or DT1990, and have been informed that my current source lineup is insufficient to make them sing.

I currently have a Little Dot I+ with an LT1364 or AD823 op-amp (I switch them depending on music) and Voskhod 6ZH1P-EV tubes. I drive this via the SMSL M6's onboard DAC (compares well to the Modi line of DACs), or, sometimes, an HRT Music Streamer, depending on music.

Do I upgrade the DAC or the amp? If so, what are some good options, preferably with a high value/performance ratio.

I really don't feel like spending more than $300 max upgrading my source electronics, as I only have $2k in savings, and the headphones will already put a huge dent in this.

Thanks!

Aug 29, 2018 at 12:36 AM Post #2 of 19
There's an NFB-11 on Ebay for $329, free shipping. Other than that, maybe just save your money? :\ Or try something like a Topping D30/ODAC + Magni 3/Vali 2. I dunno lol.

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2018 at 12:39 AM Post #3 of 19
There's an NFB-11 on Ebay for $329, free shipping. Other than that, maybe just save your money? :\ Or try something like a Topping D30/ODAC + Magni 3/Vali 2.

When you say save my money, you mean "save up until you can afford $1k in source and $500 in cans"? Or "save your money, the cans will sound good enough"?

Aug 29, 2018 at 12:44 AM Post #4 of 19
When you say save my money, you mean "save up until you can afford $1k in source and $500 in cans"? Or "save your money, the cans will sound good enough"?
I think, if you can't at least buy an NFB or JDS Element to compare how your current gear sounds(better, same, worse), then just save the money. Headphones will likely make 90% of the difference here, and both of those phones should be quite good. I wasn't too thrilled about the sound of NFB when I had one, compared to the other gear I had at the time, but I have no clue what your gear sounds like, or how good/bad it's supposed to be. Spending extra money to try 3-5 products at once can be a pain, but you get a ton of knowledge and experience out of it. Plus, it's super fun. ^ ^

Word on the street is, Sundara is the bomb...if you can conquer your fear of the drivers dying and such ;p Mine will be arriving in a day or two!

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2018 at 12:52 AM Post #5 of 19
I think, if you can't at least buy an NFB to compare how your current gear sounds(better, same, worse), then just save the money. Headphones will likely make 90% of the difference here, and both of those phones should be quite good. I wasn't too thrilled about the sound of NFB when I had one, compared to the other gear I had at the time, but I have no clue what your gear sounds like, or how good/bad it's supposed to be.

Ok, makes sense. I've definitely noticed more difference rolling cans than I have rolling sources...even when going from SS-->tube. Thanks for the advice.

The DAC in the SMSL M6 is supposed to trade blows with the ODAC and Magni series, if what people have said of it, in pointed comparisons, is any indication--so just substitute in "she has an ODAC/Modi [version number, including newest]". The amps are both slightly less resolving than the Magni 3, and the little dot specifically can be either warm or nearly analytical depending on the tube/op-amp pairing. I plan to switch the capacitors on the little dot, which may bump it up a rung, as it uses cheap caps stock.

Aug 29, 2018 at 9:01 AM Post #6 of 19
I'll also give my vote for saving your money. I would get the headphones first and see how you like them with your equipment.

Also, I love the DT 1990! They're ridiculously resolving and built like a tank. If you have treble sensitivity they may not be for you, though. Or if you demand a large soundstage. Those are the only two "problems" I can hear with them... And, personally, I don't even find them to be real problems.
Build quality and warranty issues are the main reason I've stayed away from HiFiMan. It's a shame because I'd like to try their stuff.

Aug 29, 2018 at 9:58 AM Post #8 of 19
Word on the street is, Sundara is the bomb...if you can conquer your fear of the drivers dying and such ;p Mine will be arriving in a day or two!

I'm also very seriously considering the Stax L300. I feel like electrostatic is probably the best direction for me, given 1) my wish for an endgame pair and 2) my love of a balanced response+soundstage

Aug 29, 2018 at 10:06 AM Post #9 of 19
I'm also very seriously considering the Stax L300. I feel like electrostatic is probably the best direction for me, given 1) my wish for an endgame pair and 2) my love of a balanced response+soundstage

The Stax Lambdas are known to lack sound stage and sound closed in. If only it were possible to audition Stax, that'd make choosing easy.

Aug 29, 2018 at 12:51 PM Post #10 of 19
The Stax Lambdas are known to lack sound stage and sound closed in.

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU(hard consonant ending that would get this censored). That's really unfortunate. :triportsad:

Sundaras or DT1990'--probably Sundaras--sound like my best bet then. Foo. I really wanted that electrostatic sound. I guess a jewelry heist is in order.

What about a used Stax 2170? How are those?

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2018 at 12:19 PM Post #11 of 19
For where you have placed your budget for source gear I would say your absolute best bet is to get the already mentioned Schiit Magni 3 and pair it with the Schiit Modi 2 Multibit. The Multibit really does make a difference and it is quite noticeable. The total cost new for both would be just under $350 and then you get a pair of RCA cables prolly should just get the pyst cables from schiit for the $20 as finding short cables online in a reasonable price range takes an act of God. With those two peices of gear you could drive a lot of things with and get great sound for a while until you can afford to go further up the line. The other option would be to pass on the headphones for now and buy the Schiit Jotunheim with multibit DAC module for $599 and then you have an amp that can pretty much run anything and for later down the road when or if you want to run balanced you can. I have one of those and it sounds unreal good. Who knows you may even enjoy your 400i's a little more to save up nuff dough to get a better pair of cans. The Audeze LCD-2 classics arent too far off and are fantastic but thats again just an opinion.

Aug 31, 2018 at 12:21 PM Post #12 of 19
Also I agree with Rhamnetin about stax. Not to say they arent good but with todays headphone tech you have to go with the really high end versions of Stax to get the best from electros. Hell at this point the are sayin focal utopias and Audeze LCD-4's compete with them. My point being dont get sucked into the whole electro stat thing yet.

Aug 31, 2018 at 12:49 PM Post #13 of 19
For where you have placed your budget for source gear I would say your absolute best bet is to get the already mentioned Schiit Magni 3 and pair it with the Schiit Modi 2 Multibit. The Multibit really does make a difference and it is quite noticeable. The total cost new for both would be just under $350 and then you get a pair of RCA cables prolly should just get the pyst cables from schiit for the $20 as finding short cables online in a reasonable price range takes an act of God. With those two peices of gear you could drive a lot of things with and get great sound for a while until you can afford to go further up the line. The other option would be to pass on the headphones for now and buy the Schiit Jotunheim with multibit DAC module for $599 and then you have an amp that can pretty much run anything and for later down the road when or if you want to run balanced you can. I have one of those and it sounds unreal good. Who knows you may even enjoy your 400i's a little more to save up nuff dough to get a better pair of cans. The Audeze LCD-2 classics arent too far off and are fantastic but thats again just an opinion.

Got myself a nice 14 inch RCA cable :) I also have the SMSL M6, which, while lacking just a tad in amp quality, has a very nice 32-bit DAC that goes toe-to-toe with the Schiit Modi DACs (except the multibit). I'm actually planning on going with Stax right now, after hearing a few audiophile acquaintances compare them A/B to Sundaras, and listening to the Z-reviews sound demo. The soundstage is intimate, but has enough layering and depth to satisfy me, especially given their fabled strength in other areas.

I may upgrade to a Multibit or SMSL M8A, which apparently sounds equal to or better than the multibit. On the other hand, I may instead spend that money on a better energizer, which is probably a better bet for the time being.

Aug 31, 2018 at 6:16 PM Post #14 of 19
Got myself a nice 14 inch RCA cable :) I also have the SMSL M6, which, while lacking just a tad in amp quality, has a very nice 32-bit DAC that goes toe-to-toe with the Schiit Modi DACs (except the multibit). I'm actually planning on going with Stax right now, after hearing a few audiophile acquaintances compare them A/B to Sundaras, and listening to the Z-reviews sound demo. The soundstage is intimate, but has enough layering and depth to satisfy me, especially given their fabled strength in other areas.

I may upgrade to a Multibit or SMSL M8A, which apparently sounds equal to or better than the multibit. On the other hand, I may instead spend that money on a better energizer, which is probably a better bet for the time being.
Well I will say this Z is absolutely obssesed with Stax and even though you will prolly lose some impact in the bottom end so long as you are alright with that the quality you will gain in detail retrieval is gonna be outta this world so Definitely cant go wrong with the stax line if you can afford it the L700 would be the best but Z said L300 is still great and you can save some money goin that route and you can use a cheaper and smaller energizer with that one. Whichever route you go I hope you find your upgrade to your liking which Im sure you will. I think the stax will definitely be better then the Sundara and definitely the DT1990. If you get it dont forget to post your impressions would love to hear what you think.
I personally just ordered the Schiit Gungnir Multibit with Gen 5 USB and Schiit Mjolnir 2 so I can run everything fully balanced. My Jotunheim with multibit module inspired that purchase cause I had a questyle CMA400i which everyone was sayin sounded out of this world and I A/B tested them over and over and liked Jot better and it was 200 less. That made me wanna hear one of the best DACs I could afford aka Gungnir multibit. I will let ya know how that sounds when I get it and you tell me bout your stax.

Aug 31, 2018 at 7:37 PM Post #15 of 19
Well I will say this Z is absolutely obssesed with Stax and even though you will prolly lose some impact in the bottom end so long as you are alright with that the quality you will gain in detail retrieval is gonna be outta this world so Definitely cant go wrong with the stax line if you can afford it the L700 would be the best but Z said L300 is still great and you can save some money goin that route and you can use a cheaper and smaller energizer with that one. Whichever route you go I hope you find your upgrade to your liking which Im sure you will. I think the stax will definitely be better then the Sundara and definitely the DT1990. If you get it dont forget to post your impressions would love to hear what you think.
I personally just ordered the Schiit Gungnir Multibit with Gen 5 USB and Schiit Mjolnir 2 so I can run everything fully balanced. My Jotunheim with multibit module inspired that purchase cause I had a questyle CMA400i which everyone was sayin sounded out of this world and I A/B tested them over and over and liked Jot better and it was 200 less. That made me wanna hear one of the best DACs I could afford aka Gungnir multibit. I will let ya know how that sounds when I get it and you tell me bout your stax.

I'm sure I'll like 'em. I got an SRM-1 Mk2 Pro energizer for 'em, so they should sound clean and detailed. And yes, of course I'll post impressions! :p

The SMSL M6's DAC is actually balanced and multibit. Not quite as nice as the ones you allude to...but should be a good enough option to give me a taste of what the Stax can do.

Unfortunately, I accidentally shipped them to a defunct home address.... *goes white as a sheet* I hope the sellers get my message in time....otherwise...well at least I live close to my old address.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back