Dac+Amp or combo for Focal Elear
Apr 8, 2020 at 9:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Posepny

New Head-Fier
Hi I'm looking for a dac and amp stack or combo for my Focal Elear to connect with PC with USB. Currently i am using Asus Xonar Essence STX II. I mostly prefer crystal clear sound, I like to hear every detail but still enjoy the music. If that helps i am listening to rock, metal and 80s music. I have some picks Schiit Jotunheim, JDS EL Stack, RME ADI-2, Questyle CMA400i. Other option is using my xonar as an analog source for amp, but still which amp. Also i don't know hom much adding an amplifier will improve my current xonar sound. It would be great if this device was good enought for any other headphone couse one day maybe I will upgrade from Elear to something else. Do you have any thoughts about this devices? Maybe something else? Can you advice me something? My budget is max 1000USD. Thanks for help and sorry for my english.

Apr 8, 2020 at 10:02 AM Post #2 of 8
Apr 8, 2020 at 10:18 AM Post #4 of 8
I did disable the mobo sound card and i upgrade op-amps to burson V5i. I have to check the drivers thx.
The Asus higher end sound cards, with upgraded op-amp, give external DAC/amps a good run for the money.

Apr 8, 2020 at 12:33 PM Post #6 of 8
So u think upgrade is unnecessary?
I'm just not sure at what (reasonable) price point your going to have a noticeable improvement.
It's like saying, I own the $120,000 Nissan GT-R, to drive faster, is it worth it to get the $200,000 Ferrari?
Years ago I replaced my Essence STX (with AD797B op-amps) with an ($375) external DAC/amp (NFB-15.32), was not really there a big difference.
I'm currently using a Topping DX7s DAC/amp, using a balanced cable, which might(?) be something for you to look into.

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2020 at 2:36 PM Post #8 of 8
I belive there is always something we could upgrade.

If your headphones are getting a clean signal and enough power then at some point you're getting all you can out of them. You might not have reached that point yet, a Schiit Jotunheim is certainly a great all-arounder that will help you get the most out of the majority of headphones out there, but constantly chasing upgrades can sometimes be a trap. You can often make headphones sound a little different with another amp, but not necessarily better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back