DAC/AMP for Sennheiser HD650
May 30, 2017 at 12:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

RoastedPecans

New Head-Fier
Just got a sweet deal on some HD650's and now need to decide on what dac/amp I want. I've been eyeing the Monoprice 11567, the Fiio E10k, and the Schiit Fulla 2. Any thoughts? I can get the Monoprice and Fulla for $75 and the Fiio for $55. Right now I'm mainly looking at the Fulla but figured I'd check here for some opinions especially since I can't find much on the Monoprice. I'm more concerned about sound quality rather than volume as I tend to listen pretty quietly. Thanks!

EDIT: Also, if anyone has any input about a 600 cable being used on the 650's let me know! I figure it doesn't make a difference but I also see a ton of 600's being used with a 650 cable so I thought maybe I should get the normal 650 cable as well.

Last edited:
May 30, 2017 at 1:17 AM Post #2 of 9
Nix the e10k unless you really care about the bass boost feature.
Monoprice has more powerful amp and will drive 650's the best out of these; however it is primarily suited for high impedance dynamics such as the 650's. If you look to pick up more cans in the future it may not be the best fit for those, depending.
Fulla 2 has the better dac, but is less powerful. Will drive 650's fairly well. Better all-rounder to start out with and probably your best bet imo. (also best looking, and tiny)
This is based off feedback from people I know who owned these at some point, as well as the specs. I have not personally heard any of these, so I guess take my words with a grain of salt. Perhaps someone with first-hand experience will come along to share their 2cents.

May 30, 2017 at 9:37 PM Post #5 of 9
Have not heard either one of those so can't say for sure. If you want to hear the 650's then definitely save up and get a Bottlehead Crack. Bar none one of the best amps for the 650's.

May 31, 2017 at 12:19 AM Post #6 of 9
Just got a sweet deal on some HD650's and now need to decide on what dac/amp I want. I've been eyeing the Monoprice 11567, the Fiio E10k, and the Schiit Fulla 2. Any thoughts? I can get the Monoprice and Fulla for $75 and the Fiio for $55. Right now I'm mainly looking at the Fulla but figured I'd check here for some opinions especially since I can't find much on the Monoprice. I'm more concerned about sound quality rather than volume as I tend to listen pretty quietly.

I'd get the Fulla. Or save up for an O2-ODAC. And since you listen at low volume all the time there's no need to get anything other than the O2-ODAC even if you upgrade to practically anything else.

EDIT: Also, if anyone has any input about a 600 cable being used on the 650's let me know! I figure it doesn't make a difference but I also see a ton of 600's being used with a 650 cable so I thought maybe I should get the normal 650 cable as well.

If your HD650 comes with the HD600 cable I wouldn't really bother getting another cable for sound quality, much less the HD650 cable. The 3.5mm to 6.3mm adapter is very compact on the HD600 cable so that's more versatile.

May 31, 2017 at 5:10 AM Post #7 of 9
When I had my HD 650, I listened mostly with E10K and that did a surprisingly good job with them. Very good soundstage. I then used the E10K as a DAC only and connected its analog out to a Schiit Magni 2. The soundstage shrunk considerably, but the mids and treble became fuller/thicker sounding, and the dynamics improved considerably. So, I'd say an E10K can definitely drive them, even at moderately high volumes, and does provide overall good sound quality. When I asked for amp recommendations in the HD 650 impressions thread, a lot of people recommended the Bottlehead Crack and Garage Project Polaris, but you still need a separate DAC for those. For an all in one DAC/AMP upgrade, I think the Schiit Jotunheim was recommended.

Nov 27, 2021 at 1:53 AM Post #9 of 9
I'm going to resurrect this thread. I'm having an interesting debate on another forum regarding the sound of the HD650s. I've got the HD6XX and I've listed my perceived issues with those which include a mid bass hump which virtually removes bass detail making it somewhat amorphous, the three point imaging perspective, a somewhat narrow soundstage and a rolled off treble. One forum member reckons my DAC/Amp is the issue and suggests that it doesn't have the power required. Well, my DAC/Amp is the Burson Playmate 2 and it certainly does have the power to deal with 300 ohms impedance. It delivers that for my HD580s and is the first Amp to make them truly sing.

So, are the HD650s really that finickity that only a few amps will bring out their true capacity or are they, as I suspect, limited in a number of ways. I also wonder if many of the HD650 fanboys have really heard something that will challenge them. If you have a 650/6XX what do you run them through?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back