Dac/amp battle: Nuforce hdp vs Audio-gd fun and nfb-12
Jan 27, 2011 at 1:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 51

65dos

100+ Head-Fier
Please recommend dac/amp combo for he5le.
I choose between auto-gd fun, audio-cd nfb-12 and nuforce hdp
can recommend to the DAC and amplifier
My budget 500-600$

Jan 28, 2011 at 4:38 AM Post #2 of 51
Relevant to my interests. I'm thinking of the nfb-12 now.

check these prices. Ships from USA too

http://www.pacificvalve.us/AudiogdGallery.html

Feb 8, 2011 at 4:08 AM Post #3 of 51
had the hdp. i think the nfb-12 has a more fuller sound

Feb 12, 2011 at 11:35 AM Post #4 of 51
I am also considering this DAC. I'm torn between the NFB - 12 and the Yulong D-100.

My phones are Beyerdynamic Dt 990- 250 ohm

Any input would be greatly appreciated.  

Feb 12, 2011 at 11:19 PM Post #5 of 51
From what I've read, I'd go with the Yulong D-100.  But the NFB 12 should be very close at less than half the price.

Feb 12, 2011 at 11:31 PM Post #6 of 51
I found the HDP narrow in soundstage, lean in bass and bright in presentation.  It works well with darker headphones.
Unless you have darker bass heavy headphones, I'd go with audio gd or yulong.

Feb 12, 2011 at 11:47 PM Post #7 of 51
My Nuforce goes amazingly with my D7000s.  I hear tell the NFB-12 is for more neutral/brighter cans.

Feb 13, 2011 at 12:12 AM Post #8 of 51
Just ordered some Denon AH-D2000s, and now I've been bouncing around with the same decision,

Seems like at around 300-500, the 3 best options are the Audio-GD Fun, The Yulong D100, and the NuForce Icon HDP.

From what I can tell, the Fun and the D100 have much better amp sections, but the DAC in the HDP is better, but where I'm really torn is just ease of purchasing, I can get the HDP from amazon or crutchfield, the D100 and the Fun both have to be purchased from sketchy Chinese websites and take much longer to get.

I wish there was somewhere I could just sit down with all three and get a chance to really play with em to see how they sound with the D2000s.

Feb 13, 2011 at 12:24 AM Post #9 of 51

Quote:
Just ordered some Denon AH-D2000s, and now I've been bouncing around with the same decision,

Seems like at around 300-500, the 3 best options are the Audio-GD Fun, The Yulong D100, and the NuForce Icon HDP.

From what I can tell, the Fun and the D100 have much better amp sections, but the DAC in the HDP is better, but where I'm really torn is just ease of purchasing, I can get the HDP from amazon or crutchfield, the D100 and the Fun both have to be purchased from sketchy Chinese websites and take much longer to get.

I wish there was somewhere I could just sit down with all three and get a chance to really play with em to see how they sound with the D2000s.

Audio_gd is not a sketchy retailer,  http://www.audio-gd.com/En%20audio-gd.htm - many people here have ordered from them, myself included, and been completely satisfied. If you must, you can also order the fun from this American site: http://www.pacificvalve.us/AudiogdFUN.html  in Batavia, IL.

Btw, my compass, which is the predecessor to the Fun, drives the D2000's fine.

Feb 13, 2011 at 12:30 AM Post #10 of 51
http://www.amazon.com/NuForce-High-end-Headphone-Preamp-Black/dp/B00370OIYE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1297575032&sr=1-1

Quote:

Feb 13, 2011 at 12:41 AM Post #11 of 51

Quote:
Audio_gd is not a sketchy retailer,  http://www.audio-gd.com/En%20audio-gd.htm - many people here have ordered from them, myself included, and been completely satisfied. If you must, you can also order the fun from this American site: http://www.pacificvalve.us/AudiogdFUN.html  in Batavia, IL.

Btw, my compass, which is the predecessor to the Fun, drives the D2000's fine.

I wasn't trying to imply they are a sketchy retailer, I just mean the process of ordering is substantially more involved, as you can't just add to cart and hit submit, it's a whole email process etc etc etc. I looked at that Pacific Valve site, but it looks like they are peddling the older version of the Fun with the old DAC not the WM8741.

I also have no doubt that the Fun (or the NFB-12 though I'm not as interested in that one as I'm intrigued by the idea of Discrete OpAmps with the Fun) could easily drive my D2000s, they are a fairly easy can to drive, it's more a matter of how well it would match up. I also do like the HDPs one other strong suit, the size, the Fun is soooo much bigger.

Quote:

I think you misread what I said, I know you can get NuForce on amazon, I was referring to the Yulong and Audio-GD amps.

Feb 13, 2011 at 12:43 AM Post #12 of 51

Quote:

Quote:

I think you misread what I said, I know you can get NuForce on amazon, I was referring to the Yulong and Audio-GD amps.

It appears you're correct.  For some reason I thought you said you couldn't get it on Amazon.  Of course I got mine from a fellow head-fi'er, but I wasn't sure how Amazon was doing on that.

Feb 13, 2011 at 12:47 AM Post #13 of 51

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

It appears you're correct.  For some reason I thought you said you couldn't get it on Amazon.  Of course I got mine from a fellow head-fi'er, but I wasn't sure how Amazon was doing on that.

Ahhh, yeah, that's one other strength I've seen of the HDP, it seems like if I ever needed to sell it, it would be easy as pie, and it seems to sell for barely less than it costs new.

Feb 13, 2011 at 1:07 AM Post #14 of 51

[size=medium]
Hmm I get the ease of use from pacific Valve, but they add cost to what comes standard on the Fun rev A. It also uses an older DAC Which has been said is inferior in some ways to the newer Wolfson [size=x-small]WM8741[/size][size=x-small]. [/size][size=x-small]I suggest you buy direct from Audio-GD. They are a great bunch of guys pumping out GREAT gear at an incredible cost. For the price that PV charges you can get the Fun rev. A shipped with 2 HDAM's. Never heard the Nuforce or D100. That said, I believe that the Fun is the best buy due in part to it's ability to change it's sound signature via HDAMS's. I have the Moon and Earth and they both have there pro's and cons. Either way they make the Dac/Amp sound slightly different.[/size]
[/size]

Feb 13, 2011 at 1:14 AM Post #15 of 51

Quote:

Hmm I get the ease of use from pacific Valve, but they add cost to what comes standard on the Fun rev A. It also uses an older DAC Which has been said is inferior in some ways to the newer Wolfson [size=x-small]WM8741[/size][size=x-small]. [/size][size=x-small]I suggest you buy direct from Audio-GD. They are a great bunch of guys pumping out GREAT gear at an incredible cost. For the price that PV charges you can get the Fun rev. A shipped with 2 HDAM's. Never heard the Nuforce or D100. That said, I believe that the Fun is the best buy due in part to it's ability to change it's sound signature via HDAMS's. I have the Moon and Earth and they both have there pro's and cons. Either way they make the Dac/Amp sound slightly different.[/size]

Pacific Valve is actually a bit cheaper when one factor's in shipping.
However, Audio-Gd does make constant changes on their products, buying directly from them will insure getting the very latest.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back