DAC Advice Needed
Nov 28, 2011 at 8:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 73

Szadzik

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi All,

I have been using my Burson HA-160D as a DAC for some time now. I ue it with USB frmo  my PC and into WA2, listening to T1s.

I have been thinking though, that maybe I should sell the Burson as I do not use it as an amp anymore and buy something cheaper to use as a DAC. The key work is cheaper here, so my main thing is to pay 400-500GBP max, the cheaper the better.

At the same time, I would like something that would not become a weak link of my system. 

Two things:

Needs USB.
Needs at least two outs, but if something is really good and only with one out it will be fine too.

Lastly - I would prefer to buy it locally - in Europe, so I do not have to pay loads of money for shipping and customs.

Nov 28, 2011 at 12:59 PM Post #2 of 73
Since you're using USB, I would suggest an asynchronous mode DAC, which the Burson is not. Some possibilities would be the Musical Fidelity M1-A DAC, or John Kenny's JKDAC. The JKDAC only has a single set of outputs, but I've seen it described as a giant killer.

Nov 28, 2011 at 2:23 PM Post #3 of 73
I thought about that and read a lot about it. My Burson has a great DAC even though it is not Async. Buying one I would probably prefer async as you recommended.

I looked at JKDAC and it looks pretty interesting and AFAIR the guy is from Europe, so it would be easy to get it.

As for MDAC, I looked at it at some point, but it seems it is not very popular and there are not many reviews.

Nov 28, 2011 at 2:29 PM Post #4 of 73
There are a few other affordable choices. This site covers most of the models available on the market. http://thewelltemperedcomputer.com/HW/USB_DAC_Async.htm

Nov 28, 2011 at 4:08 PM Post #7 of 73

Quote:

Wow, this looks very interesting.

Starting with reviews now.

EDIT: after a quick perusal of a review by 6moons one thing is a bit worrying. They say the TDA Chameleon loses a bit of detail and bass quality and quantity. I am worried that with my T1s it will make bass not as good as I like it.

EDIT2:

Having looked around the Interwebs and checking reviews, here are a few choices:

TDA1543 NOS DAC-V4.5
Emotiva XDA1
Musical Fidelity M1 - information and reviews are scarce
Rega DAC - a bit pricey
Musical Fidelity VDAC - not sure if it can stand up to the rest
DACMagic - unsure of performance/ price ratio
Caly Coffee?
Devil Sound DAC Cable
Firestone iLove TW
JKDAC that I just forgot about

Any input will be appreciated

Nov 28, 2011 at 5:37 PM Post #8 of 73

I just made a post about this DAC - http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Finished-2496-AK4396-CS8416-DAC-Transformer-case-/120747012438

and this receiver - http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Teralink-X2-Native-24bit-96k-USB-SPDIF-I2S-Converter-/250933562256 , http://www.teradak.com/en/product_view.asp?ID=203

You can read my post here - http://www.head-fi.org/t/571081/the-diary-entries-of-a-little-girl-latest-memoir/825#post_7925500

That will save you some money and you get a high-end dac szadzik.

I haven't tried it with my T5p's yet but it's quickly becoming my favorite DAC, better than that Calyx Coffee thing that's for sure.

Nov 28, 2011 at 5:44 PM Post #9 of 73

Quote:
Having looked around the Interwebs and checking reviews, here are a few choices:

TDA1543 NOS DAC-V4.5
Emotiva XDA1
Musical Fidelity M1 - information and reviews are scarce
Rega DAC - a bit pricey
Musical Fidelity VDAC - not sure if it can stand up to the rest
DACMagic - unsure of performance/ price ratio
Caly Coffee?
Devil Sound DAC Cable
Firestone iLove TW
JKDAC that I just forgot about

Any input will be appreciated

I'm not a particular fan of the TDA1543, it was a fairly low end chip, and even with a bunch of em stacked I don't think it's all that great. I also don't think that DAC is asynchronous mode. The Emotiva definitely isn't. The M1-A has been mentioned a bit around here, and there are a few reviews of the original M1 DAC. The changes basically amount to replacing the original crap USB implementation with an asynchronous setup, and some improvements to the power supply. It's supposed to be quite a bit better than the VDAC. The original DAC Magic wasn't so hot, but the new DM Plus looks very promising. Price is supposed to be 350GBP, it has asynchronous USB, balanced and single ended outputs, and is supposed to sound much better than the original. Ticks all the right boxes, at least.

The Calyx Coffee I don't know that much about, but I have to imagine it would have a tough time beating the JKDAC. The larger Calyx 24/192 DAC is supposed to be superb, but it's not cheap.

Nov 28, 2011 at 5:53 PM Post #11 of 73
After research and critical comments above, the list becomes:

Emotiva XDA1
Musical Fidelity M1 A
Rega DAC
DACMagic Plus
Devil Sound DAC Cable
Firestone iLove TW
JKDAC
AK2496 - i have coax in my PC - do I need the i2s kiteki?

About async again - my Burson does not have kt and it is a great DAC.

Nov 28, 2011 at 5:55 PM Post #12 of 73

I have the DIY version of the Calyx Coffee and it sounds great connected to my stereo receiver, but it's pretty boring for headphone or IEM use, I'm not sure why :/

Anyway if you're interested I'll sell it for cheap.

Not sure I want just to go cheap and spoil the beauty of wa2 and T1 combo :)

Nov 28, 2011 at 6:04 PM Post #14 of 73

Rega DAC is a winner, I prefer it to the Violectric V800, Arcam rDAC and even the Luxman DA-200.

However, there is a huge catch ~ the USB input is average at best, it struggles to really better the Arcam rDAC or
 Cambridge DacMagic which cost less money.

Solution? You need a really competent USB to SPDIF/Coax converter like an Audiophilleo 2 or M2Tech to use in conjunction
 with the Rega ~ it's a completely different DAC once you do this.

It's not a detail monster like a Benchmark DAC1, nor is it thin and clinical ~ very musical and most importantly ~ analogue
 sounding, it's one of the few DAC's that makes you forget that the material you're listening to is on a laptop :)

It's been compared to $2000-$2500 CD transports and I'd agree with that.

Btw, I've heard the Burson DA-160 ~ not worth the price of entry in my opinion, it doesn't really fly off the Coax input
either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back