D marc0's Journal: My Head-fi Journey
Jul 2, 2014 at 10:13 AM Post #436 of 562
T-PEOS Altone 200 First Impression

First of all I'd like to thank T-PEOS for sending this review unit. These did not come in retail packaging so I won't be able to show you photos of the box and accessories. I did however receive a small pouch with a few tips and a shirt clip.

INITIAL IMPRESSIONS:

I really like the material used for the casing (aluminium and steel) unfortunately the photos don't show how nice they really are. Simple, clean lines, but definitely feels premium. I am however concerned about possible scratches/dints if these are handled roughly or even when simply tucked away then the earpieces bump against each other. I guess only time will tell how these will fare after constant usage.

The size is perfect... these IEMs are smaller than your average monitors. Even smaller than the Zero Audio Carbo Basso; to think that was very comfortable for my tiny ears. The Altone 200 is more comfortable and I simply don't feel like I have them on after long periods of listening because of the lightness and the smoothness of the surfaces.

Now the sound... oh boy! T-PEOS has impressed me once again. At the price that these are being introduced, I expected a small back step in sound quality. To my delight, it is the exact opposite! They kept the best qualities from their previous offerings and fined tuned the rest of the frequency that needed refinement. The BASS is better, more visceral, and textured compared to the H200 from memory. Reminds me so much of the H300 bass: tightness, detail, texture, sub-bass extension, and layering. MIDS is quite nice because it maintains clarity and detail you'd expect from BA drivers. Despite the boosted bass and treble, the vocals sit firmly in the background. I didn't notice any veiling whatsoever and never felt missing on detail/clarity. This is one of those rare moments that an IEM with this sound signature did not neglect the vocals/mid-range. HIGHS still has the signature T-PEOS emphasis in the lower treble and I'm happy to report that it's now more refined and more controlled. Not perfect but close... still very highly dependent on the quality of the recording + volume level. To my ears the balance between the BASS vs TREBLE is nicely done. Imaging and resolution is still as good as the T-PEOS flagships. The emphasis in the lower treble may still bother those who are really sensitive in this area but I can confidently say that those who can handle it will appreciate the added sparkle/brightness/resolution.

Please take note that I'm using Sony noise isolating hybrid tips with shallow insertion. I haven't started tip-rolling just yet so there may be slight changes in my impressions if I end up using different tips for my final review.

To those who have owned or heard the H200; it is time to move on and enjoy a MUCH better IEM. The Altone 200 has a much improved bass response, no dips in the upper midrange, and a more refined/controlled treble performance. It still has the T-PEOS house sound but in a much improved fashion.

Stay tuned for my full review...

Jul 2, 2014 at 10:22 AM Post #437 of 562
I'm really enjoying the Altone 200... still can't believe that an IEM of this caliber can be had for less than the Fidelio S2's price.

I've been playing around with EQ just to try and make it sound better and fine-tune whatever it is I feel needed refinement. To my amazement, my preferrred EQ setting still sounds pretty close to the stock sound! Only difference is a slight refinement in lower treble with a bit more air.

Jul 2, 2014 at 10:38 AM Post #439 of 562
  I'm really enjoying the Altone 200... still can't believe that an IEM of this caliber can be had for less than the Fidelio S2's price.

I've been playing around with EQ just to try and make it sound better and fine-tune whatever it is I feel needed refinement. To my amazement, my preferrred EQ setting still sounds pretty close to the stock sound! Only difference is a slight refinement in lower treble with a bit more air.

Are you lifting the lower treble or lowering it? I assume lifting from the 'with a bit more air' 

Personally, I still prefer Altone from rockboxed Sansa Clip Zip, it really does come close to my RDB Mini / NWZ-F806 combo. Although a fraction cooler in tonality makes my RDB sound veiled to some extent around the mid-range. (which is no small feat).

The reason I use Clip Zip is because I want to believe or (recommend) this rig all for around $150 USD.

All you need is two things:

1) Sansa Clip Zip or CLip+ (rockbox)

2) Altone200

Because when you put the two together as I stated in my top paragraph it's pushing way way above its price point. Now... I can use the DX50 which sounds great as well however something keeps drawing me back to the above combo. I've never quite heard two pieces of gear synergize so well. If others agree that's some awesome value for money. 

Jul 2, 2014 at 10:47 AM Post #440 of 562
  wow, looks great! i dont see it on their website though... where would one buy it?

http://www.head-fi.org/t/724471/t-peos-announce-releasing-altone200-and-start-preorder-limitedly

Are you lifting the lower treble or lowering it? I assume lifting from the 'with a bit more air' 

I reduced 7-8khz by 3-4db and lifted the upper treble 12khz-18khz by 4db.
The end result is almost the same as the stock...

Once I've sold my C5, I might really get one of those awesome clip zips.

Jul 2, 2014 at 10:51 AM Post #441 of 562
Jul 2, 2014 at 9:01 PM Post #442 of 562
Once I've sold my C5, I might really get one of those awesome clip zips.

Blasphemy yet again! Well, about selling your C5 before I even got the chance to try one myself. Not blashemy about getting a clip zip though.. I'll never be without one. Suprisingly good enough SQ, and it is insanely small and convenient when you really want something light and portable (like when riding a bike).

Jul 4, 2014 at 9:51 PM Post #444 of 562
  Nice pics Marco!

I hope T-P are ramping up production, because I reckon these Altones are going to fly off the shelves...

I believe they are... I remember them mentioning they're aiming for a TF10 reputation.
I personally think they've done a much better job.

Jul 7, 2014 at 11:55 AM Post #446 of 562
  Which IEM you have owned/demoed has the sweetest/most intimate vocals? Does the Altone200 stand a chance in this regard?

Noble 4, Noble PR, and Fidelio S2.
If you volume match the mids/vocals, the Altone 200 is not far behind the Noble 4. Pretty close as a matter of fact.
The key is to find the volume level sweet spot which is at around 55% using the iPod touch 5th gen; overall sound signature is very well-balanced.
If the volume level is lower, the mids/vocals may sound a bit behind the bass and treble.

I used the test track: Jewel - Somewhere Over The Rainbow

Jul 7, 2014 at 12:08 PM Post #447 of 562

Noble 4, Noble PR, and Fidelio S2.
If you volume match the mids/vocals, the Altone 200 is not far behind the Noble 4. Pretty close as a matter of fact.
The key is to find the volume level sweet spot which is at around 55% using the iPod touch 5th gen; overall sound signature is very well-balanced.
If the volume level is lower, the mids/vocals may sound a bit behind the bass and treble.

I used the test track: Jewel - Somewhere Over The Rainbow

Awesome! Helpful as always and specific too! Thanks, much appreciated! 
beerchug.gif

Jul 7, 2014 at 12:26 PM Post #448 of 562
  Awesome! Helpful as always and specific too! Thanks, much appreciated! 
beerchug.gif

You're welcome!

Here's an exclusive tip if you pre-ordered the Altone 200...
I find Comply TS200 to be the best tips for them.
Smoothens the upper mid-range/lower treble a bit plus extends the upper treble for much more air.

If you want further refinement in the lower treble, apply foam filter mod... and it keeps dust and ear wax off the nozzles which are very hard to clean.

Jul 7, 2014 at 12:30 PM Post #449 of 562
  Which IEM you have owned/demoed has the sweetest/most intimate vocals? Does the Altone200 stand a chance in this regard?

I just remembered that the KEF M200 also had really sweet mids.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back