D-25 or D-250 Schematic/Svc Manual?
Mar 5, 2003 at 2:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

mhamel

500+ Head-Fier
I'm looking for a schematic for the D-25/D-250 discman. Does anyone know where to either buy the service manual / parts list or does anyone have one they'd be willing to scan the schematic and parts list of?

I've tried partsolver - it's no longer available. I found a German company (through a reference in an old Usenet post) that seems to have one, but I haven't heard back from them. It's not listed on Sony's parts site, either.

Basically I'm looking for other places that modifying the player might improve it, and I'd rather look at the circuit than just hack at it. I've already done the PS caps, the two electrolytics near the headphone jack and the opamp.

-Mike

Mar 5, 2003 at 9:06 PM Post #2 of 21
You can get a service manual from Sony:

800-488-7669

Will take 8-10 weeks. It's coming from Japan.

BTW: Welcome to Team TurboD25!
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 6, 2003 at 7:07 PM Post #3 of 21
Puppyslugg: Hehehehe, thanks... it came in the other day, I listened long enough to get a good feel for how it sounds, then ripped it apart and started soldering.

I just called Sony. @#(*@$^&*(!

"No Longer Available" for either the D-25 or the D-250.

That sucks.

Anyone out there have one of these to scan? I'd be happy to do the scanning and send it back to you if you don't have a scanner or the time to do it. I'm mostly interested in the schematic and parts list.

-Mike

Mar 6, 2003 at 8:08 PM Post #4 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by mhamel
I just called Sony. @#(*@$^&*(!

"No Longer Available" for either the D-25 or the D-250.

That sucks.

Sorry to hear that. I called a couple of weeks ago, and they told me they had some.
confused.gif

I guess I should have ordered one then.
rolleyes.gif

What are your plans for the d25?

Mar 6, 2003 at 8:25 PM Post #5 of 21
I'm not entirely sure yet... I've replaced the two electrolytic caps on the PS board with 470uF Panasonic FCs and the two electrolytics near the headphone jack with Panasonic 1000uF 25v FCs.

The opamp has been changed to an AD8620, although had I should have read further before I did that - I would have used something else had I realized it seems to be for error correction and not audio-related.

I still find the output to be lacking somewhat when it comes to deep bass. I was hoping to take a look at the signal path to the line out jack and see what I might be able to improve in there... I just didn't feel like trying to trace it manually.

It also seems kind of noisy (the line out), but I need to put together a good PS for it before I call that an issue.

I'm mainly looking for something that sounds good but doesn't take up much desk space for use at work. It sounds good as it is right now, but I can't help but want to try to improve things if I can. :)

-Mike

Mar 6, 2003 at 11:32 PM Post #6 of 21
How strange that these service manuals are not available anymore. I would expect Sony to be able to produce infinite copies.

Well, if these aren't commercially available anymore, I think it might be time for people who have them to put them up on the internet.

I mean, these players are so old, almost nobody is having them profesionally repaired anymore anyway. Apart from that, many of the replacement parts have also run out.

Anyone with a Sony D-25/D-25s/D-250 service manual here?

(Or D-303, D-555, D-515, D-88 for that matter
tongue.gif
)

Mar 7, 2003 at 1:32 AM Post #7 of 21
Considering every Sony replacement manual I've ever ordered has been either a photocopy of an original or a print from a scanned archive, I don't know either why they can't just keep producing them... at the very least, when a product is long past EOL and they decide to stop producing spare parts, manuals, etc... they should post a PDF in an online support area for people to download.

-Mike

Mar 7, 2003 at 8:20 AM Post #8 of 21
A photocopy? Well, that indeed makes it more illogical. And I totally agree with you.

Mar 7, 2003 at 2:49 PM Post #9 of 21
It makes me wonder if I could put together some kind of online service for the DIY / Small repair shop type of places that could archive service information, schematics, parts lists, etc. for download.

Since the manufacturers would consider the products long obsolete by this point, I wonder if they'd grant rights to redistribute the manuals online. Could be an interesting project.

On another note... I have some good/bad news about the D-25 service manual. I found one from a company in Germany, it's in stock and only 18.50 Euros.

The bad news is that they only take Visa or American Express, and the only card I keep/use is the MasterCard I have for online purchases. They'll also accept cash, so I may just wrap up $20, put it in the mail and hope for the best.

-Mike

Mar 7, 2003 at 11:48 PM Post #11 of 21
Yeah, if it could be put online, why not?

Mar 8, 2003 at 2:34 AM Post #12 of 21
No worries, I don't mind buying it and sharing. :)

The only problem was getting them the money the way they are set up to accept it. A friend of mine (Scottder) has graciously offered to order it, so hopefully it will be on its way early next week.

Once I get it, I'll dig out my scanner and make a PDF.

-Mike

Mar 8, 2003 at 2:36 AM Post #13 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by mhamel
No worries, I don't mind buying it and sharing. :)

The only problem was getting them the money the way they are set up to accept it. A friend of mine (Scottder) has graciously offered to order it, so hopefully it will be on its way early next week.

Once I get it, I'll dig out my scanner and make a PDF.

-Mike

cool.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back