Cypher Labs AlgoRhythm Solo - Discussion and Impressions Thread
Apr 25, 2011 at 7:37 AM Post #31 of 1,793
Here is a revelation. I am trying the Solo for the first time with the Naturespace iPhone app. It is a whole different ballgame. With the Solo (+ Pico Slim, in my case), the thunder and rain sounds just come alive by comparison with the iPhone 3GS HP out. (All with the ES5.) Very nice indeed.

Apr 26, 2011 at 1:26 PM Post #32 of 1,793
I will have to try that app on my iPad, I love the sound of thunder and on my LCD's it would sound amazing I think!

I had another what I would term, "C.L.A.S" moment today!
I am writing this from one of my favorite coffee hangouts, quite noisy but my ER4S's are sealing the external noise put to the extent I can listen to Jazz. Currently that is the complete Villiage Vanguard sessions by Bill Evans.

Track six is intermission and announcements. Moments before right at the end of the previous track you can hear so clearly Scott LeFaro running his fingers up and down the double bass, the realness of this is extraordinary! The there is the chatter of intermission. I have heard this recording more times than I care to mention, not once has that chatter sounded as real as now. Honestly I put the player on pause as I thought the coffee shop had got louder but no, I could hear nothing, just silence from the great isolation the ETY's give. It really took me a'back!

I love moments like this and this and the solo running 15v really show how capable the Etymotics are when fed quality source and amplification, I never listen to my triple.fi's anymore!

Apr 28, 2011 at 12:56 AM Post #33 of 1,793
Anyone using the Solo with an iQube or RSA Shadow? How significant are the changes? In combination with the TF10 or T50p or Ultrasone Ed8?

Appreciate any feedback... or actually my wallet would be thankful if there are none :D

Apr 28, 2011 at 1:47 PM Post #34 of 1,793
So I've been trying to get 24-bit files to play from my iPods through my Solo, but haven't had any luck.  The new version of FLAC Player claims to play 24/96, but I haven't gotten it to work yet.  24/96 files converted to ALAC won't even copy to the iPod.

But I discovered yesterday that 24-bit files (any format), if converted in foobar to AIFF, can be copied to and played by my Touch 2g and iPhone 4 in normal iPod mode.  But I'm not sure I'm getting actual 24-bit output to my Solo.

Does anyone else want to try and see what they think?  I did a quick A/B with a 24/96 file on my Lavry with LCD-2, then listened to the same file converted and played on my Touch through my Solo.  It seemed pretty obvious to me that the Lavry made the file sound much better--superior imaging, detail, and soundstage.  The iPod made the song feel compressed and veiled.

But it wasn't the most scientific comparison, so if anyone else can try this with their Solo, I'd really like to know whether 24-bit output is possible from an iPod's standard software, or if a third party app is needed.

Apr 28, 2011 at 7:19 PM Post #35 of 1,793
Quote:
Anyone using the Solo with an iQube or RSA Shadow? How significant are the changes? In combination with the TF10 or T50p or Ultrasone Ed8?

Appreciate any feedback... or actually my wallet would be thankful if there are none :D

I have used the RSA Shadow, although not quite as good as the Pico Slim - it has just a little less warmth and a tad more extension top and bottom - the Solo adds the same kind of value to the Shadow as it does to all the other amps that people have been talking about.   You'd be happy with Solo + Shadow.   Very happy...!

Apr 28, 2011 at 10:01 PM Post #36 of 1,793
Aw dang... don't tempt me~ :p

Quote:
Quote:
I have used the RSA Shadow, although not quite as good as the Pico Slim - it has just a little less warmth and a tad more extension top and bottom - the Solo adds the same kind of value to the Shadow as it does to all the other amps that people have been talking about.   You'd be happy with Solo + Shadow.   Very happy...!

May 1, 2011 at 10:03 AM Post #39 of 1,793
Sorry if it isn't the right place to ask, but I thought the people who know would probably be in this forum~ :)

Does anyone have or can point me to the schematics for the iPod LOD-to-USB interconnect? Thinking of getting my pal to make one for me, which will definitely be cheaper than what Alo sells currently. I don't like being monopolized sorry.

May 1, 2011 at 11:39 AM Post #41 of 1,793
The cable that comes with it is bad news MHO. It startted to cause problems with my iPod line out because of how it leverages on the connector.I retired it. However the $12 cable is just fine.

May 1, 2011 at 12:32 PM Post #42 of 1,793
The cable that comes with it is bad news MHO. It startted to cause problems with my iPod line out because of how it leverages on the connector.I retired it. However the $12 cable is just fine.

I noticed that, it is not a problem as much now as I have the cables all bound by the rubber bands that keep my rig together, I wish the originals came with the sturdy docks of Kens more expensive cables, surely those must only be pennies more to add, heck even if it were a couple of bucks I would spring for the upgrade, it is the only thing I do not like about the package, shame they could not have included both the long and short, I wonder really how many folks would be using the solo with an iPad after all!

May 2, 2011 at 12:09 AM Post #44 of 1,793
im pretty sure it has something to do with the fact that the solo is apple certified, it has to come with the cable that it does becuase of that.

Quote:
Or just opt for the short instead of the long cable to include in the package. I don't need both. Doesn't the standard white cable that came with my iPhone work if I need a longer length?

May 2, 2011 at 12:40 AM Post #45 of 1,793
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Do /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Or just opt for the short instead of the long cable to include in the package. I don't need both. Doesn't the standard white cable that came with my iPhone work if I need a longer length?

It does - and it works better.

Quote:
im pretty sure it has something to do with the fact that the solo is apple certified, it has to come with the cable that it does becuase of that.

Apple would not care what cable is included so long as it works. FYI the Fostex unit is apple certified and comes with a short cable.

Not to make a mountain out of a molehill. I love the Solo. It's an amazing piece of audio kit. I don't like the included USB cable. That's all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back