CX, EX, K, S, Oladra, Antipodes, Owners Unite
May 16, 2024 at 2:36 PM Post #2,446 of 2,468
Thanks for the advise. Actually I didnt mention about a demo as I have no way of doing that.

I didn’t know about Antipodes offering the 30 days. I’d rather buy theough my dealer though.

I stand by my “opinion” of the sweet spot, but that doesnt mean the two box combo wont still sound meaty and musical, which is what I am looking for.

I have no issue of incremenal gains, I just dont want to gain one attribute, at the expense of another.

Glad you got your server working.

May 16, 2024 at 2:44 PM Post #2,447 of 2,468
The usual route would be to move on K22 and get K50 as it'll cover both units in a single package. There small benefit to having k22/k41 providing the connection between them is good (more money) than K50.

Also depends on the size of your library, smaller library can get away with K22, larger may need the server, particularly if you want to use HQ Player.

I've got a <2tb library and K22 was what I was going to get after many hours of research and speaking to Mark. A G3 K50 came up for a good deal at the right time and made sense to get it and cover upgrade to G4 rather than get a new K22. K50 just arrived back from NZ today, a rather quick 2 week turn around for anyone considering it!
Doesnt make sense to get the K50. I already have the K22 and would take a loss on it. Cheaper to just by the K50.

Mark had said that combo and single unit wouldnt be much difference with the combo might sound al little better with the server and the player being isolated from each other.

What did you mean by “K50 just arrived back from NZ today, a rather quick 2 week turn around for anyone considering it!”

May 16, 2024 at 2:46 PM Post #2,448 of 2,468
Doesnt make sense to get the K50. I already have the K22 and would take a loss on it. Cheaper to just by the K50.

Mark had said that combo and single unit wouldnt be much difference with the combo might sound al little better with the server and the player being isolated from each other.

What did you mean by “K50 just arrived back from NZ today, a rather quick 2 week turn around for anyone considering it!”
I think he meant he got the G4 upgrade from the G3.

Antipodes allows previous gen components to be upgraded, which is sort of neat.

Speaking of tonality, the below two songs are not really my cup of tea but is interesting when trialing gear.

Found this song via Axpona 2024. One of the funnest parts about Axpona for me was being introduced to different songs.

On a side note, anyone try Aurender gear? How do you guys compare them to the likes of Antipodes? I have the A20 all in one (dac, streamer, server) and was better than I expected.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240516_144758_Roon.jpg
    Screenshot_20240516_144758_Roon.jpg
    335.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20240516_145047_Roon.jpg
    Screenshot_20240516_145047_Roon.jpg
    553.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
May 16, 2024 at 2:57 PM Post #2,449 of 2,468
I think he meant he got the G4 upgrade from the G3.

Antipodes allows previous gen components to be upgraded, which is sort of neat.

Speaking of tonality, the below two songs are not really my cup of tea but is interesting when trialing gear.

Found this song via Axpona 2024. One of the funnest parts about Axpona for me was being introduced to different songs.

On a side note, anyone try Aurender gear? How do you guys compare them to the likes of Antipodes? I have the A20 all in one (dac, streamer, server) and was better than I expected.
I gotcha.

I guess one thing in favor of the K50 is that you don’t need to doing money on an additional power cable.

May 16, 2024 at 3:30 PM Post #2,450 of 2,468
I gotcha.

I guess one thing in favor of the K50 is that you don’t need to doing money on an additional power cable.
Yeah, that's what I was saying, you save on cost of power cable and ethernet and swap two boxes for one.

The upgrade costs are on Antipodes main page, definitely worth consideration financially rather than new unit if wanting a beefier server. For example, there's a G3 K50 on ebay for £7k, G4 upgrade is roughly £3k, that's half the price of a new G4 unit over here in the UK.

Not sure how big your library is or if you use HQ Player but additional server may well not be needed and I'd suspect the SQ difference is probably marginal. (not heard first hand so that's just an assumption)

Food for thought Ken..

Last edited:
May 16, 2024 at 3:54 PM Post #2,451 of 2,468
Yeah, that's what I was saying, you save on cost of power cable and ethernet and swap two boxes for one.

The upgrade costs are on Antipodes main page, definitely worth consideration financially rather than new unit if wanting a beefier server. For example, there's a G3 K50 on ebay for £7k, G4 upgrade is roughly £3k, that's half the price of a new G4 unit over here in the UK.

Not sure how big your library is or if you use HQ Player but additional server may well not be needed and I'd suspect the SQ difference is probably marginal. (not heard first hand so that's just an assumption)

Food for thought Ken..
Thanks for that.

The library is not large at all. I was debating HQ Player though.

I should probably stay put and do nothing, which means I’ll do something. Lol

May 16, 2024 at 4:01 PM Post #2,452 of 2,468
Haha, I feel you.

Have you compared the various player / server combinations Ken? Well worth exploring first if you haven't. I was quite set on Roon / Roon at first but have moved to Squeeze, suits my setup better now. The latter felt like quite a step up for my gear.

I've not jumped down the HQP rabbit hole yet, feels like way too much hard work but really ought to given there's plenty of guides on the antipodes forum. I'll give it a spin this time home and report back.

May 16, 2024 at 4:37 PM Post #2,453 of 2,468
Haha, I feel you.

Have you compared the various player / server combinations Ken? Well worth exploring first if you haven't. I was quite set on Roon / Roon at first but have moved to Squeeze, suits my setup better now. The latter felt like quite a step up for my gear.

I've not jumped down the HQP rabbit hole yet, feels like way too much hard work but really ought to given there's plenty of guides on the antipodes forum. I'll give it a spin this time home and report back.
I use Squeeze. I hate Roon, Looks pretty, sounds lousy. I have tried it on every streamer I have ever owned, and I have a life time license. Oh yea, did I tell you I really don't like Roon? :)

May 16, 2024 at 4:47 PM Post #2,455 of 2,468
Now for the rabbit hole, or is it a rabbit hole. How much difference is adding the K41, and in what ways?
Christiaan Punter has a review or two out there where he provides excellent insight into the benefits of going from a single to two box solution. While my preferences deviate from his slightly, his observations about Antipodes servers have seemed spot on. He has great ears and is excellent at articulating what he hears.

May 16, 2024 at 4:53 PM Post #2,456 of 2,468
The usual route would be to move on K22 and get K50 as it'll cover both units in a single package. There small benefit to having k22/k41 providing the connection between them is good (more money) than K50.

Also depends on the size of your library, smaller library can get away with K22, larger may need the server, particularly if you want to use HQ Player.

I've got a <2tb library and K22 was what I was going to get after many hours of research and speaking to Mark. A G3 K50 came up for a good deal at the right time and made sense to get it and cover upgrade to G4 rather than get a new K22. K50 just arrived back from NZ today, a rather quick 2 week turn around for anyone considering it!
My system is further down the chain.
If the means had ever presented itself, I'm sure parts would have been upgraded more regularly.

From this perspective, I'm expecting my move up to the K21 to be a big step, and an excellent end point. Even using its server/player functions.
My thinking is by having an Innuos Phoenix USB, that gets me part way to a K50.
Without some form of Lottery intervention, adding a K41 is out of reach.

Bought a Samsung PM893 SSD yesterday. All good to go for the end of the month.

Last edited:
May 16, 2024 at 4:54 PM Post #2,457 of 2,468
The myantipodes website stopped working but the myantipodes app (using for first time) shows the server/streamer. I wonder why.
Myantipodes rarely stops working. If it fails to discover servers, the problem is typically with the device one is using to access that page. A VPN or something like iCloud Private Relay can prevent myantipodes from finding anything because they tell the internet that you are located somewhere other than your home to protect your privacy.

I rarely visit myantipodes because I have saved favorites for the client apps. Antipodes doesn't recommend this because those favorites can become invalid if the IP address of the server changes. I find it easy to update the favorite but this might be a challenge to some.

May 16, 2024 at 5:01 PM Post #2,458 of 2,468
Christiaan Punter has a review or two out there where he provides excellent insight into the benefits of going from a single to two box solution. While my preferences deviate from his slightly, his observations about Antipodes servers have seemed spot on. He has great ears and is excellent at articulating what he hears.
Is that the one on Hi-Fi Advice? I skim through that before I bought anything. I’ll have to revisit it.

Btw, I’ve seen your name on other forums in the past, (I think What’s Best), and every time I see your avatar, I say to myself: “ God Damn Eagles”!!

I’ve been a Cowboys fan for decades. 😃

May 16, 2024 at 5:02 PM Post #2,459 of 2,468
My thinking is by having an Innuos Phoenix, that gets me part way to a K50.
The PhoenixNET will make gains from a K50 even more profound. But it will do that as well for your K21, but it can't undo all the harm that your current server does to the music.

May 16, 2024 at 5:03 PM Post #2,460 of 2,468
every time I see your avatar, I say to myself: “ God Damn Eagles”!!

I’ve been a Cowboys fan for decades. 😃
Glad to hear that my avatar serves its intended purpose. :xf_smile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back