CX, EX, K, S, Oladra, Antipodes, Owners Unite
Jun 25, 2020 at 1:37 PM Post #61 of 2,468
I power down after every session now, because with HQP at 16x upscaling there are USB handshake problems if I only power down the DAC only. The inconvenience is a small price to pay for the improved sound of HQP.

Progsius, Now that you have a TT2, can you do this test for me:
- wIth HQP running on the EX configured with 16x PCM upscaling and the TT2 set as the receiving DAC, put the TT2 on standby while leaving on the server.
- Restart the TT2 and wait for it to initialise.
- Play a track through HQP.

Do you get any handshake issues? This will appear as a static noise, no music playback at all. It can be fixed by clicking apply on the settings page of HQP.

Jun 25, 2020 at 3:58 PM Post #62 of 2,468
Progsius, Now that you have a TT2, can you do this test for me:
- wIth HQP running on the EX configured with 16x PCM upscaling and the TT2 set as the receiving DAC, put the TT2 on standby while leaving on the server.
- Restart the TT2 and wait for it to initialise.
- Play a track through HQP.

Do you get any handshake issues? This will appear as a static noise, no music playback at all. It can be fixed by clicking apply on the settings page of HQP.
Yes I sure did. Then I turned off TT2 and then put EX in standby. Started up TT2 and waited for end of bootup. Then restarted EX. Once it rebooted things were back to normal. The reinitialize of hqp also works. Tony from Antipodes says the 5v signal is needed to establish handshake only once. If it gets it it does not look again unless HQPlayer asks. It only does this on reboot of hqplayer. Very annoying. Maybe Jussi could look for the 5v before starting to play.

Jun 25, 2020 at 8:27 PM Post #63 of 2,468
Hello fellow antipodes and server owners.

If you were to choose from a general stand point is a better amp more important or a better server more important?

If I had to guess I would choose amp, what's your choice and why?

Jun 25, 2020 at 10:53 PM Post #64 of 2,468
Hello fellow antipodes and server owners.

If you were to choose from a general stand point is a better amp more important or a better server more important?

If I had to guess I would choose amp, what's your choice and why?
I would go with server as the signal needs to be the best it can be before amplification. But I am a headphone user except in the theatre.

Jun 25, 2020 at 11:23 PM Post #65 of 2,468
I would go with server as the signal needs to be the best it can be before amplification. But I am a headphone user except in the theatre.
I'm primarily a headphone user as well. My opinion is that my OCD would prefer to get signal right to set a strong foundation but real world results seems like bang for buck is most to be had with amp over server. (As in more noticeable change when changing amps vs changing servers)

With that said, my current set up my server costs more than my amp so I do what makes me feel foundation being strong first as I have OCD and this satisfied it.

Discussions/disagreements/agreements welcome.

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2020 at 1:49 AM Post #66 of 2,468
@F208Frank Looking at your signature you're using the Dave as the amp if this is correct I would suggest getting a demo of a Woo WA33
Or upgrade to the Elite version with JPS. Those TC,s will be singing with the WA33 and Woo are in New York....so you could pick up

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2020 at 10:03 AM Post #67 of 2,468
music server, music server, music server. Thats the foundation, make it a mo fo of a foundation, its the beginning the end and middle. Then build the frame around this.

Jun 26, 2020 at 12:25 PM Post #68 of 2,468
@F208Frank Looking at your signature you're using the Dave as the amp if this is correct I would suggest getting a demo of a Woo WA33
Or upgrade to the Elite version with JPS. Those TC,s will be singing with the WA33 and Woo are in New York....so you could pick up
I actually had the Elite WA33 with all upgraded tubes. I let it go and am quite sad. :frowning2:

If you were to out into words how would you describe straight out of DAVE vs WA33 since you have that?

Jun 26, 2020 at 1:10 PM Post #69 of 2,468
I actually had the Elite WA33 with all upgraded tubes. I let it go and am quite sad. :frowning2:

If you were to out into words how would you describe straight out of DAVE vs WA33 since you have that?

Sorry to see you sold the Elite I am about to order an Elite with JPS wire.
Dave without the WA33 sounds flat after the WA33 I could not go back to just Dave or Dave Msacler for that matter.
I have upgraded Tubes recently even better I only hope the Elite JPS gives a good improvement.
Have you tried the WA33 before the Elite if so how did it compare ?

Jun 26, 2020 at 2:15 PM Post #70 of 2,468
Yes I sure did. Then I turned off TT2 and then put EX in standby. Started up TT2 and waited for end of bootup. Then restarted EX. Once it rebooted things were back to normal. The reinitialize of hqp also works. Tony from Antipodes says the 5v signal is needed to establish handshake only once. If it gets it it does not look again unless HQPlayer asks. It only does this on reboot of hqplayer. Very annoying. Maybe Jussi could look for the 5v before starting to play.

Thanks for testing. Good to know its not just me. I get around the issue by booting my EX after TT2 has initialised for each listening session. It is not ideal and I hope Jussi and/or Antipodes can investigate further.

Jun 26, 2020 at 2:29 PM Post #72 of 2,468
Sorry to see you sold the Elite I am about to order an Elite with JPS wire.
Dave without the WA33 sounds flat after the WA33 I could not go back to just Dave or Dave Msacler for that matter.
I have upgraded Tubes recently even better I only hope the Elite JPS gives a good improvement.
Have you tried the WA33 before the Elite if so how did it compare ?
I went straight to Elite. From others they said Elite much better but not sure if reliable. I did test the standard WA33 at CanJam briefly and it was still good.

Jul 9, 2020 at 7:21 PM Post #73 of 2,468
I see no point in buying an expensive network switch like say the Etherregen if you have the CX-EX combo as the CX acts as the network switch to eliminate noise before it enters the EX.
Sent my Etherregen back as heard no difference and after talking to Tony of Antipodes he has said the CX when combined with EX is designed to do just that.
I should hope so. A friend of mine who owns the Innuos Statement just ordered an EtherRegen (after I told him about mine). I'll be very interested to see if he hears a difference into his M-Scaler> DAVE > Naim 500 series bi-amped > Kudos.

Jul 10, 2020 at 12:00 AM Post #74 of 2,468
I should hope so. A friend of mine who owns the Innuos Statement just ordered an EtherRegen (after I told him about mine). I'll be very interested to see if he hears a difference into his M-Scaler> DAVE > Naim 500 series bi-amped > Kudos.
Please update us, thank you.

Jul 17, 2020 at 7:53 PM Post #75 of 2,468
I’ve started using the EX as a Plex server as well as roon. I’m happy to say the cpu useage remains below 25% even when streaming movies with Dolby Atmos or DTS-X passthrough audio. So now it runs roon, hqplayer, plex mini-dlna without breaking a sweat. The hqplayer is streaming to a pi-4 naa which is usb to the TT2. The pi-4 is probably the weak point.

Is anyone else using Plex on their Antipodes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back