Custom Westone 2, stock Westone 3 or custom Sennhesier IE8?
Dec 17, 2010 at 6:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

99tollap

New Head-Fier
I've given up on my Phonaks, and have decided to replace them and spend a little more.

I'm looking for excellent isolation and comfort and a precise, warm sound with decent soundstage.  My music taste is prog rock/metal, folk and classical.

I can get the Westone 3 for ~£260, or alternatvely I could buy the Westone 2 with ACS custom sleeves (~£240).  What would be my best option, given comfort and isolation are quite high up on my priority list?

As a final alternative, I may consider custom IE8s, although even with custom sleeves I'm doubtful if the isolation would be particularly good.  Again, they are around the £250 mark...

Dec 17, 2010 at 9:57 AM Post #2 of 2
I don't think ACS make custom sleeves for Westone IEMs anymore so the Westone 2 with custom sleeves probably isn't an option. ACS have list of compatible earphones which can be seen here ...

http://www.hearingprotection.co.uk/images/ACS-Custom-Earphones.pdf

Apparently some people found that the sleeves wouldn't stay on the thin Westone style nozzle but I've not had that problem. I've got a pair of ACS sleeves for my UM3x and as long as I give them a good clean every once in a while they stay on without any problems. The fit is amazing and I believe they deliver a noticable improvement in SQ, particuarly with the lower end and soundstage.

You're right about the IE8 with custom sleeves. I've got a pair of those too and although they are quite comfortable the isolation still isn't that great and I don't think I noticed much of an SQ improvement.

It's a shame ACS have stopped making Westone sleeves as I think they're a brilliant combination and it would have been my recommendation. You could maybe try calling them and pleading with them to make you a pair (they told me that they still have the rig) but don't go buying the Westone 2 without checking first.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back