Custom Orthodynamic Woes [Please Read]
Jan 8, 2011 at 2:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 94

mythless

Headphoneus Supremus
**To rectify the issue of "Thunderpants", these were not made by Smeggy but another Head-Fier and should not be confused by Smeggy's creation.  I will attempt to call them custom orthodynamics however, it should be noted the trade was for a pair of Thunderpants.  I do not wish to argue the semantics.**

I need some advice on a transaction that has occurred.

I was approached by a Head-Fier, Bigrock2150, who was into modding headphones on regards on a trade for my Denon D5000 MarkL modded with CoA.  He initially first approached me with custom grado:

“They are custom made by me (I'm starting a website that sells them, much like headphile but with many different options), all of which will be available to the public within the next week. “

However, I was not really interested with Grado.  However, he PM’d me again about making me a thunderpants and he even stated he would ask Smeggy if he could sell it:

“I'll ask Smeggy(the original maker of thunderpants) if I can sell his Thunderpants on my website, if he says yes then they'll be available for sale, but only for trade as of now. “

So I assumed he would be making a comparable product in both workmanship and sound and trusted the individual.  However, that may not been the case.  When I first received it, I was not the first to test it.  I was out of the country for a month.  My friend picked it up and tried them out and he even brought them to a local Head-Fi meet, the consensus was that they expected more and were slightly disappointed with the build quality (miss-matched cable cup length, swiveling cup, buzzing noise in one cup, rod holder were done roughly and “tear out” on the cups) and the sound, well they had no bass.  However, everyone assumed that it could have been the amplifiers.

When I got them, I was not impressed by the build quality as well and the sound and addressed them with the maker.  He fixed them without any complaint but stated he broke his fingers while re-modding the cups:

“So a fixed as much as I could, Unfortunately I broke a couple fingers while modding them. The result is that there still is tear out on the cups because I'm unable to hold my chisels at this point.”

“As for the bass problem, I tried my best but unfortunately I was unable to increase the bass "impact" very much. However, I was able to make the mids and bass sound more "full". The Bass of the t50rp (the original driver) will never be that of say the D5000 you traded to me but you must remember that the t50rp is only a $75 headphone originally. “

“Unfortunately I can't really do much about the blocks that connect to the headband as they're super glued to the rods, but I'll do my best with everything else. I usually don't make TP's for other people so I really want to make sure you like them. “

I felt empathetic, so I let some of the issues slide, since what can you do with broken fingers.  That was my biggest mistake, I was far too trusting.

When I got them, I was still not impressed by the build quality, but I said to myself “If they sound right, it’ll be fine.”  My friend told me that was foolish of me.  But, again he stated he broke his fingers.   There were chips, scratches and rip foam.  And, the rod holders were not even secure to the L brackets due to the choice of screws used.  I would never have expected this from a headphone that was to be valued equally to my Denon D5000.  Too be blunt, I was peeved.  Mostly, peeved with myself in trusting the individual as I did not think this trade was equal.  The same old story, if I had known, I would never have done it.  After a listening session I put the headphones aside in disappointment.  They sat on my headphone stand for the time I’ve took the out of the box. 

My gear consist of:  The amplifiers I used were: Purity Audio Kicas, Audio-gd Sparrow, Rotel RA-1312 and RA-812, HK PM660, and Yamaha RX-V596.  I am sure one of these amps are more than capable on powering these drivers.   Sources varied from my Fuze, cd players, and turntables as well a tuner. 

On December 23, 2010 I took the TPs to my friend’s house to do some testing.  We used his HK330B, Bottlehead Crack with speedball upgrade and his huge Onkyo receiver.  As a comparison he used his AKG Sextett, though I can’t remember if it was an EP, MP or LP to compare the sound.  He has seen the TPs before and he even commented on the workmanship, especially considering the “price” you paid for them.  He even identified some build issues that I never spotted: shrink wrap near the Y connector has not been properly done, and is exposing the shielding, a very slight channel imbalance that I never heard but he picked it up (very slight, the treble makes it hard to notice), rough finishes and during the test both cups came loose and now swivel 360 degrees.

At first, I will admit that I did let some of the workmanship slide, but in reality I shouldn’t.  All I hoped were the described sound.  I tried to resolve this but to no avail.  How can anyone be happy with this trade?  Sure, on some angles and lighting the cups look really nice, but it does not hide the fact the overall workman ship is poor, again, take a good look at the screws at the bottom of the rod holders…

So, how do they sound?  Well, apparently sound is very subjective around these parts and apparently my ears are no good because to Bigrock2150 they sound fine to him.  When I first got them they had no bass, and all treble with no sound stage.  When I got them back after Bigrock2150 “fixed” them the sound didn’t improve at all.  There still wasn’t any bass, maybe a little hump if you listen very careful, but honestly my RE0 produce more pleasing base over these headphones.  The treble is far too aggressive and huge amounts of sibilance.  Absolutely no sound staging at all, makes the Grado sound further back in presentation.  Overall, the sound signature is like an inverted triangle, huge treble and no bass. 
Of course, that’s what I hear and I could be wrong.  So, being the scientist I am, I’ve done some testing.  I gathered 7 people the most notables are: a music teacher and 2 musicians (both graduated from music school).  Most of them aren’t really into headphones but enjoy music.

I give everyone 4 different songs, all the same songs, from various music genres.  I gave them a form to fill out.  Here are the questions:

1)  How do they sound?  Please describe your experiences
2)  How is the treble?
3)  How is the mid range?
4)  How is the bass? 
5)  From a scale 1-10 please comment on the workmanship.  Please explain your answer.
Here are some of the results:

1)  “They sound Terrible.”  “It hurts my ears.”  “I think my iphone earbuds sound better, at least not as harsh.”    “Why do they sound so congested?  It’s as if the singer is screaming into my ears?”  “(Confused) You really (referring to me) think these sound good? (I never replied to his answer)”
2)  “There is too much treble, even in Classical pieces it sounds too tight.  They might be ok for rock but, the sibilance would be annoying.”  “I don’t like it at all.” “I can’t really enjoy the song.”
3)  “They sound fine, I guess.  But, when you explained “full” too me, they don’t sound like it, it might be “thin” sounding.”  “I’m sorry the treble really overpowers the mid range, I can’t move beyond that.”
4)   Here everyone is in agreement, no bass, no thump.  “The cellos and bass sound extremely thin, you can barely feel them in the piece, even with rap music I can’t “feel” the beat.”
5)   Average was about 6.7, they all said it looked like a rough job they wouldn’t buy it, I didn’t even tell them the “price” I paid for them.  They did say the cable looks nice and on some angles the cups were decent.  But, overall not that great.  I also had to tell them to be extra careful when placing the headphones on and taking them off due to the loose cups.

Guess everyone is wrong too?  I don’t think these custom orthodynamics have the Thunderpants sound.  If anyone doesn’t know what they should sound like here is the link:  ***Click Here***.

I would go on further but, I’m too depressed by this situation.  Trust me, there is a lot more than what I am presenting, a lot more...However, I have more important things to work on, papers, projects, work, volunteering etc…I am literally stuck between a rock and a hard place.  I was completely and utterly misled by this individual.

As anyone can see I’m not happy with them?  Why?  They don’t sound what I was suppose to be getting (which was what was agreed upon) and doesn’t look like a $400-500 headphone.  Now, I probably could fix some of the issues, dampening, screws replacement, even rod placements if I can get some acetone.  But, then again, why should I?  I “paid” for a product that should have been equivalent but in my opinion it was less than spectacular.  So, what do they do now?  They sit on my headphone rack.  Did I get a fair trade?

Pictures are below:

What I’ve learned?  Sometimes you can’t even trust people who share the same hobbies, even if the person is a Head-Fier who helped people.  I won’t lie as this experience has changed some of my views regarding headphones…

Jan 8, 2011 at 2:56 PM Post #2 of 94
Horrible.  Appalling.  You were ripped off, and you have my sympathy.  But all you can do is suck it up and move on.  It happens to everyone once.  The trick is to not let it happen twice.

Jan 8, 2011 at 3:10 PM Post #3 of 94
Those are some pretty bad chips, rips and poor workmanship overall. Did this website that was supposed to be available in a week every surface?

I'm sorry this happened to you. Was there any money exchanged or was it just a trade?

Jan 8, 2011 at 3:28 PM Post #4 of 94

Quote:
Horrible.  Appalling.  You were ripped off, and you have my sympathy.  But all you can do is suck it up and move on.  It happens to everyone once.  The trick is to not let it happen twice.

Yeah, that's how I'm seeing it as.  I actually talked a moderator to make sure I can post this so people can learn from my mistakes.

Quote:
Those are some pretty bad chips, rips and poor workmanship overall. Did this website that was supposed to be available in a week every surface?

I'm sorry this happened to you. Was there any money exchanged or was it just a trade?

I lost my Denon D5000, which then he sold it for $450 or whatever.  In essence, he sold it for a profit.  I can't even sell these at that price.  There's more information I can post but, I don't think it would aid the situation, might aid my rage but not the situation.  Nope the website never emerged and he never told me either when I was in Taiwan.  I actually had found out when I was compiling data on Bigrock2150 and from another post in a different thread he stated:

"Not to be difficult or confrontational but how are we all supposed to learn of new products when threads get canned every time someone mentions a new product and where to find it? That doesn't seem like Head-fi spirit to me. It's kind of funny how the big guys (audeze, Hifiman, sennheiser ect...) can be talked about in numerous threads without being shut down but when a new guy of lesser prestige comes in they get "the rules" cast apon them.

I guess I have a slight bias because my business was shut out from head-fi because I was unable to pay the extremely expensive price to become a premium sponser/insider. I wanted to offer Woodied headphones at a very reasonable price but few were able to find my website due to inadequate exposure. I understand that Head-fi needs money to operate but doing it by grossly overcharging for benefits isn't very ethical. It reminds me of a ticket I just paid to California, nearly $500 for accidently running a red light, talk about highway robbery right?"

Maybe that's why he never wanted to post on Head-Fi.  Yep $500 down the drain, could have used that to get my fluids flushed on my car...

Jan 8, 2011 at 3:28 PM Post #5 of 94
Wow I'd be furious if that's what I got in trade for D5000.

IMO, Thunderpants tend to be some of the best looking headphones, but this is horrible.  If it was a personal mod that'd be one thing, but to use it in trade....  Hopefully he'll repair it once his fingers are mended.  Maybe you can msg Smeggy about how you can repair this "mod."

Jan 8, 2011 at 4:06 PM Post #6 of 94

Quote:
Wow I'd be furious if that's what I got in trade for D5000.

IMO, Thunderpants tend to be some of the best looking headphones, but this is horrible.  If it was a personal mod that'd be one thing, but to use it in trade....  Hopefully he'll repair it once his fingers are mended.  Maybe you can msg Smeggy about how you can repair this "mod."

Nope, he doesn't plan on fixing it because it was a "blind trade" is what he use to describe the trade.  While the next part is no longer valid due to my complaints, he did offer to fix them for a price.  When I ask about it this was his reply.

"The cost to have them "fixed" solely depends on what you want me to do to them. Honestly I tried all my tricks to increase the bass for you, and although you don't agree the bass increased, I certainly did. The only thing I can think of is replacing the drivers hoping that the drivers were Faulty or something. Alternatively, I can craft new cups and baffles hoping that the drivers are fine and the housing is the problem. 

If you choose the driver replacement, you can have my labor for free, just pay shipping both ways and the cost of the drivers (around $75 usd). If you choose the new cups and baffle route, you'd have to pay for the labor and the cost of the wood (anywhere between $400-$450 depending on the wood you choose). If you'd like a full redo (one of my newest creations) it'll cost you anywhere from $475-$525, and if you trade in the ones we traded originally I'll give you $100 off.

Just understand that even if you choose a full redo that I cannot guarantee that you'll like them. I can only guarantee that I and many others like them more than Smeggy's Thunderpants. Also, there's a little wait on the T50rp drivers as the T50rp is out of stock until sometime in January of next year."

Again this is no longer valid because I pressed for a refund of some sort.  But, I don't think anyone would be happy about this.

Jan 8, 2011 at 5:04 PM Post #7 of 94
Let me start off buy saying that I did not make these for Mythless. I made these for myself in which I traded them to Mythless. In the trade, I showed pictures of them as well as a detailed description of what I and one other listener thought it sounded like.

I explained to Mythless that these were one of my first "Thunderpants" (following Smeggy's tutorial) that I've ever made. I also explained to him that they were not my best work. Mythless decided to trade "blind" (not hearing them before he traded) and ended up with a headphone that he was dissatisfied with. I gave him the choice to choose a different "TP" that I made for myself and he declined, he choose the ones in the pictures. Since I wanted him to be happy with my work, I told him that I would TRY to fix them free of charge with free shipping. Unfortunately due to severely broken fingers, I could not do much. I was completely honest with him and told him that I couldn't do much for the appearance but I was able to make the bass a little more full sounding, in which they were. 

Mythless was very immature all through the trade, he resulted in threats, begging, and hurtful words. I told him that I was not a professional Thunderpants maker, that title belongs to Smeggy. I just TRIED to follow his instructions the best I could to make a headphone for me, in which Mythless saw and wanted to trade.

Once again, those were literally my second headphone that I built and my craftsmanship has greatly improved.

My recent work.

I'm just a DIYer, not a professional (Thunderpants maker that is), and certainly not a scammer. I'm appalled that David (mythless) would do such a thing considering we were once online friends. 

I hope that you all understand that half of what David said above is grossly exaggerated and is said out of anger. I told him (after the parade of messages) that I could no longer talk to him. He tried to get over on me to Pay him $450 (when money was never exchanged) because he wasn't happy with the trade. It was immature.

Jan 8, 2011 at 5:18 PM Post #8 of 94
it's truly amazing how different two sides of a dispute can be.  i feel terrible for both of you, that this did not go smoothly :frowning2:  

still, if the OP saw the photos and agreed to trade without an audition, I don't see what the seller did wrong.  the headphones certainly do look poorly constructed, but if this was understood by both parties, there seems to be no wrongdoing, only disappointment. 

Jan 8, 2011 at 5:20 PM Post #9 of 94
Oh boy, those things are in horrible shape.  Sorry Bigrock, but you look like the problem here.  You traded him a  completely inferior peace of equipment, it looks like a child made them 

Jan 8, 2011 at 5:32 PM Post #10 of 94
@ Zachfeen, once again this was one of the first things I've ever DIYed. It was never meant to be a "Smeggy thunderpants". It was just one of my projects. I Showed pictures, and Mythless wanted them. I gave him another option, and yet he specifically chose those. I even gave him a side to side picture of those against the other headphones that he could chose from. I don't know what else I could have done. 

I'd also like it to be known that I made those literally with only a lathe, chisels, and a dremel multi-tool. I've since then bought proper tools to make better work. 

Jan 8, 2011 at 5:36 PM Post #11 of 94

Quote:
Oh boy, those things are in horrible shape.  Sorry Bigrock, but you look like the problem here.  You traded him a  completely inferior peace of equipment, it looks like a child made them 

Agreed, those should have never left the house. Personally I could never in good conscience trade those for anything but a pair of portapros, and then only after I had taken extensive photos for the portapro owner to see the defects.

Jan 8, 2011 at 6:02 PM Post #12 of 94
What's in the pictures looks absolutely horrible. How about taking them back and returning whatever you were given for them?
(and let's not call these 'thunderpants'. that could bring bad karma to the real deal.)

(by the way, is that cell foam in both the new and the old version in the cup-baffle seal? That would explain a lack of bass....)

Quote:

I hope that you all understand that half of what David said above is grossly exaggerated and is said out of anger.

Jan 8, 2011 at 6:18 PM Post #13 of 94

Quote:
Quote:

Agreed, those should have never left the house. Personally I could never in good conscience trade those for anything but a pair of portapros, and then only after I had taken extensive photos for the portapro owner to see the defects.

Quote:
What's in the pictures looks absolutely horrible. How about taking them back and returning whatever you were given for them?
(and let's not call these 'thunderpants'. that could bring bad karma to the real deal.)

Quote:

I hope that you all understand that half of what David said above is grossly exaggerated and is said out of anger.

I was more referring to the sound. I must also state, that the headphones did not look like that when the were sent out. I just wish that the OP didn't only take pictures of the unflattering parts as the headphone as a whole doesn't look all that bad (considering the tools that I had to make them). I don't have many of the original pictures left but here are a couple that I can scrounge up.
Once again, Not Smeggy's quality, But I followed exactly what he told me to do, and I attempted to make a couple for my self using primal tools. I have no idea what Mythless did to them once he got them, but I can assure everyone that they didn't look like that when they were sent.

My first two DIY projects. His is on the left.

Jan 8, 2011 at 6:34 PM Post #15 of 94

Quote:
His pictures look the same as yours tbh. 

Really? Because on his a see nothing but scratches, scuffs, and chipped wood. The only thing that looks terrible in my pictures is glue residue (which wipes off clean by the way).

Everyone is entitled to their opinion I guess. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back