Custom In Ear Monitors
Sep 9, 2013 at 1:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

tobprud

New Head-Fier
Hello I just sold me Westone 4r and planning to go custom. My choices are Fit Ear Private 222, Westone ES3, Unique Melody Miracle/Merlin and Jh Audio JH10/JH10X3. The reason I choose these models because my budget is around 900 dollars. I have been reading the reviews but I couldn't find any directly for these models.

Thanks!

Sep 9, 2013 at 3:20 PM Post #2 of 9
es3 = mids
miracle = neutral
merlin = bass (dynamic driver)
dont know other two

Also, is 900 budget for new and including audiologist fees? It won't be enough for some of the ones you listed. May want to indicate what you're looking for in terms of sound.

Sep 9, 2013 at 11:59 PM Post #3 of 9
  es3 = mids
miracle = neutral
merlin = bass (dynamic driver)
dont know other two

Also, is 900 budget for new and including audiologist fees? It won't be enough for some of the ones you listed. May want to indicate what you're looking for in terms of sound.

Well I live In thailand and around 930 dollars it will cover everything including shipping. But thanks for your information, do you know the build quality of each brands?

Sep 13, 2013 at 7:28 PM Post #4 of 9

Well I live In thailand and around 930 dollars it will cover everything including shipping. But thanks for your information, do you know the build quality of each brands?

From the forums, UM has good build quality and so does Westone. The ES5 has a different material for the part that goes into the canal. It's a soft vinyl instead of acrylic. This should give better comfort and seal. The JH I've read that although they're build quality is good, don't be too surprised if there is a problem. Take this with a grain of salt since this is from just reading.

Sep 15, 2013 at 3:16 AM Post #5 of 9
I'm looking for a mid-range CIEM myself and I think it's worth taking a look at some of the less famous brands. Like Rooth, 1964ears etc. In fact there are probably dozens of customs that fit your budget if you're willing to take a little more risk, so perhaps you should try to look for iems that fit your preferred sound. I suppose you could also visit Jaben Thailand if you're in Bangkok.

From reading what other people write, I gather that people who are perfectionist need to read "build quality is good" with a bit of scepticism, since reviewers generally overlook small bubbles and a little cloudiness in the translucent/clear coloured shells. Then there are companies like UM which reviewers typically describe as having "flawless shells".

Sep 15, 2013 at 5:06 AM Post #6 of 9
Before jumping on the UM bandwagon I'd suggest doing a little more digging into related threads here on Head Fi.  If you want to wait forever for your monitors they're a wonderful choice.  Definitely the company to choose if you are very laid back and don't expect results any time in the foreseeable future.

Sep 15, 2013 at 5:27 AM Post #7 of 9
Before jumping on the UM bandwagon I'd suggest doing a little more digging into related threads here on Head Fi.  If you want to wait forever for your monitors they're a wonderful choice.  Definitely the company to choose if you are very laid back and don't expect results any time in the foreseeable future.

It is true that um had some customer related issues lately. But it depends of the store or site you're going to order from. I dealt with Stephen Guo of custom-iem.com, and he was very helpful and responsive. True, I waited for a long time, but the delay was the same than the other companies (approximatively 4 weeks)

Sep 15, 2013 at 6:21 AM Post #8 of 9
you should try out Custom Art Audio pro330 .....awesome silicone customs at reasonable price and in EU. With the best communication i ever had! 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/663051/new-custom-iem-company-custom-art-discussion-review-and-appreciation-thread

Sep 15, 2013 at 10:44 AM Post #9 of 9
  you should try out Custom Art Audio pro330 .....awesome silicone customs at reasonable price and in EU. With the best communication i ever had! 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/663051/new-custom-iem-company-custom-art-discussion-review-and-appreciation-thread

Absolutely great advice and the polar opposites of a UM Global Experience.

As for UM delivering in 4 weeks... that was back in the good old days, many, many months ago when I placed my order.  Now they say 8 to 12 but they don't really know so you won't either. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back