Custom IEMs for musician?
Jul 28, 2008 at 11:01 AM Post #46 of 50
I did a internet streaming live gig last night with the UM1 and EQ

sounded quite reasonable actually. not as enveloping and engaging as the big phones, but clear and got what i needed from them. they would do if I can't find anything better.

more air in the treble would be nice, you can only go so far with EQ

Aug 3, 2008 at 3:07 PM Post #47 of 50
Ok, I bought tk3s ER4S

wow, actual sound quality at last!

these are the only IEMs i have heard so far that offer professional sound quality. (although the UM1s are quite useable with EQ, i wouldnt trust them as accurate)

yes the ER4 are a bit light in the bass, but in a smooth way thats easy to eq, and in fact lots of bass is not needed for what i do.

they are not as inefficient as i feared despite the 100R impedance i don't have to turn them up all that much.

shame about the appalling ergonomics! they stick miles out of the ear, the wires don't really sit happily anywhere, and the cables transmit vibration (microphonic but acoustic not electrically)

now if i could get ER4 sound quality with UM1 ergonomics and fit, I'd be happy.

so how do the livewires compare to the ER4 in terms of sound quality?

i really can't think what else to try at this point, but if i get livewires and they are not up to the job, then I can't return them....

Aug 3, 2008 at 11:04 PM Post #48 of 50
I think the Livewires are extremely accurate and musical at the same time, but the only person I know who has both LW and ER4 has/had some problems with the fit of the Livewires and so he isn't getting 100% of the capability of the LW.

I have the Altec Lansing IM 716 with the pod removed (Etymotic Drivers made for A.L.), and a variable resistance custom pod in it's place, and with a 33-68 ohm impedance the IM716 come close to the LW but are not quite as good. Everyone says the "podectomied" IM716 are between the ER6i and ER4P, but closer to the ER4 series.

Aug 6, 2008 at 9:56 AM Post #50 of 50
hmm, actually, after reading the thread on whether customs are all they are made out to be, and remembersing how uncomfortable my hard acrylic custom ER15 earplugs are, i'm holding off on the livewires.

I also discovered that I can get the ER4s way deeper in my ears using the comply tips, this improves the bass, and means that they don't stick out nearly as badly.

since everyone pretty much agrees that the ER4s are the most airy and detailed IEMs available, my collaborator and I have decided to stick with those for live performance. she ordered hers yesterday.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back