Custom IEM Review: Ultimate Ears Personal Reference Monitor – Your Sound
Jan 26, 2013 at 3:07 AM Post #31 of 61
Quote:

Very nice.  Care to share your settings?

I am not sure how good of a thing that would be for the general public.  I can see many people being driven to frustration by the options or just not using them and I like the current implementation.  Make a decision now.  But yes, UE could probably pull off anything they want!

The first demo Hiyono and I tried was faulty, the low settings weren't adjustable or rather the resistors weren't changing a thing so I had to mess with the box for like an hour straight wondering why there was hardly any change. When it came time to his turn, he asked to swap out to a different ueprm, and there was a huge difference and the resistors actually did something. We ended up with the same numbers since it was pretty much time to bounce 55 - 46 - 48 in favor of Hiyo.

Jan 26, 2013 at 5:33 AM Post #32 of 61
Quote:

Very nice.  Care to share your settings?

I am not sure how good of a thing that would be for the general public.  I can see many people being driven to frustration by the options or just not using them and I like the current implementation.  Make a decision now.  But yes, UE could probably pull off anything they want!

I wouldnt mind if they had a JH3a type with DAC/AMP with crossovers inside.  Instead of having all the options.  You can pre tune like 3 settings you like and have a switch. :p I would totally buy.

Like Azynneo said, my settings are H55 M44 L 48.  The first pair of test one seems to be not working properly.  I noticed that the right side lows werent changing at all.  And the left side being louder in general when all were at 50.  The 2nd pair they gave us was much better.  We are going back on Monday.  Going to try and few more songs before I set things in stone.  Also want to take some more photos of the place and If they let me take a few pics of the lab area.

Azynneo should have his sometimes this week.  Since he put his order in last week.  I need more time to double check the settings :p  We were running out of time that day.

Jan 26, 2013 at 6:13 AM Post #33 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiyono /img/forum/go_quote.gif

....We are going back on Monday.  Going to try and few more songs before I set things in stone.  Also want to take some more photos of the place and If they let me take a few pics of the lab area....

Don't forget there are these videos showing UE's lab area in quite a lot of detail, albeit not specific to the PRM production:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/430688/home-made-iems/1455#post_8877287

Jan 26, 2013 at 7:48 AM Post #34 of 61
Quote:

I'm not so sure a $2000+ custom IEM is for the general public to begin with, though. Maybe I'm mistaken here, but I can't really see someone committing to something like that only to be scared off by the tuning box. It seems like head-fiers are the biggest market segment for more "advanced" or involving implementations like the JH-3A and PP6 anyway, plus there's something more intuitive about the idea of tuning the sound signature for most people. It comes naturally I think.

Don't get me wrong, the PRM is a good idea, but personally I'm rather intrigued by new directions like the JH-3A and PP6. I think something like a TRM (tunable reference monitor) would take the customization to yet another level, allowing you to customize not just for present-you, but future-you too should your tastes or source material change.

I think a lack of flexibility has always been one of the biggest deterrents to going custom for some folks. It's scary to commit to something when you're not sure if you may like it (unlike a universal which can be returned or sold much more easily). The PRM already makes strides to counter this perceived deficiency, and I think a TRM would go even further in that regard.

I think we can all agree that if any company could pull it off the right way, it's UE.

Feb 8, 2013 at 11:07 PM Post #35 of 61
Just picked mine up from UE today.  Love how they sound.  

Burning them in now.  Will write about them in a few days.

Mar 15, 2013 at 12:35 AM Post #37 of 61
Quote:
Just picked mine up from UE today.  Love how they sound.  

Burning them in now.  Will write about them in a few days.

Any updates?

Quote:

Just tuned mine, it's 45-45-45 both ears lol

Very nice.  What were the differences to you between 45-45-45 and 50-50-50?

Apr 2, 2013 at 9:42 PM Post #40 of 61
Disappointed, in the end UE refused to put my logos over the carpathian elm wood :frowning2:

At first they said they can, and 3 weeks later they just deny it and said i can only make it with solid/translucent or clear with titanium faceplate.

Customized sound but limited imagination, hah!

Apr 2, 2013 at 10:36 PM Post #41 of 61
Quote:
Disappointed, in the end UE refused to put my logos over the carpathian elm wood :frowning2:

At first they said they can, and 3 weeks later they just deny it and said i can only make it with solid/translucent or clear with titanium faceplate.

Customized sound but limited imagination, hah!

For the price, it is in my opinion not acceptable that they are not more flexible in terms of artwork....

Apr 4, 2013 at 12:15 AM Post #44 of 61
Quote:
UPDATE: They finally agreed to push with my logos over the carpathian elm wood! 

I won't say anything else right now but I'm very happy!

Hopefully the end result will be beautiful! If you don't mind, what logo was this?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back