Custom earplugs for musicians (especially woodwinds (even more especially flutes))
May 29, 2007 at 9:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

nibiyabi

Headphoneus Supremus
I am looking at getting the Etymotic ER•15 (the ER•9 and ER•25 seem way too specialized) for my girlfriend. She plays the flute for the university orchestra and I can hear their practices from a great distance away so I know it's killing her hearing. She tried my ER•20 (Etymotic's cheap, one-size-fits-most offering) and she could not stand hearing the sound of her tongue clicking against the roof of her mouth, which to her sounded about as loud as the flute itself.

I am wondering if there are any woodwinds out there (especially flutists) who have any experience with the ER•15 (or ER•9 or ER•25 I suppose) and what their impressions are. I realize I may not get any replies, but if you fit the bill (or know someone who does), please let me know! Thanks.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 29, 2007 at 11:37 PM Post #2 of 7
i was thinking of wearing earplugs during marching band rehearsal. kinda sucks being infront of the trombone section

i play alto sax and can imagine that the sound of tonguing could get annoying.

also, i don't know if we're allowed to wear ear plugs...its kinda important to be able to hear what the conductor says in between reps
but more importantly, playing at an appropriate dynamic and blending in with the rest of the ensemble.

May 29, 2007 at 11:52 PM Post #3 of 7
That's the point of these though -- they attenuate all frequencies almost perfectly evenly, which means that rather than hearing the band at 120db and the screaming conductor at 90db you'll hear the band at 105db and the conductor at 75db.

Jun 9, 2007 at 5:35 AM Post #7 of 7
"Musicians must suffer"

I disagree. I'm a percussionist. The responsible percussionist that I know all wear ear plugs. Musicians in major symphony orchestras wear earplugs. The ER-XX are great ear plugs. However, as with any ear plug, you do get more noise from inside your skull or whatever. I can also tell you that those earplugs are very comfortable, I sometimes forget that I am wearing them.

Wearing the earplugs drastically reduces fatigue for me too. I would also probably buy the ER-9's first. I have 2 sets, the 9's and the 25's, wish I also had the 15's. I mostly use the 9's, but 15 is just too much gone for many situations, if you got her one set would she buy the other?

BTW, make sure that you don't just buy more caps and switch them arounds, the technician making them might tell you that it's fine, but the mold stuff stretches and it will become unusable if you are constantly switching out the filters.

Any other questions, just post in this thread and I'll respond, or shoot me a pm.

-A

Users who are viewing this thread

Back