Curse or praise head-fi.org?
Mar 19, 2010 at 8:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 78

Zoldar

Head-Fier
Until a week ago I wasn’t aware of headphone amps. I decided it was time to buy a set of nice but not too expensive cans as in my current house there is not enough room for the main hifi speakers (B&W CDM 7 SE).

After lurking here, went to the shop to sample Sens, akg and some grado's in the price range around 150 euro's. And came home with AKG K701.
biggrin.gif

I was very impressed by the openness and detail of these wonders but also considered myself a fool for forking out more than planned. And that, for reputed hard to drive cans, less good with rock (Pink Floyd/Marillion being my favs).

Luckily I found a thread here that put headphone amps into perspective. A good integrated amp could sound very good with top cans. So too could my NAD C370. Myth busted.

And indeed I was very, very satisfied with the K701, marantz CD 52 mkII SE, NAD C370 combo. But there was also some brightness, harshness at volume and occasional flatness in busy passages. Strange, since deep bass was present when called for.

I decided to try out some can amps and decide for myself if this is a forum of self fulfilling prophets (head amp freaks) or indeed know the dark art of headphone amping for what it is.

Heed Canamp vs NAD C370 - myth busted?

This contest was a fatal mistake. I was NOT planning on forking out anything on something as nerdy as a head amp. But the K701 were positively transformed. No harshness, no sibilance, more mid bass and some 'warm' coloration. More detail too, more control.

Then I sampled Graham Slee Solo/PSUI and was sold. Same control, no warm blanket coloration but also a lot more fine detail in the highs and good bass control. Even at high volumes. But forking out this much for a glorified mini amp? I must be MAD!

So should I curse or praise this forum?

I’ll let you know when I come down from music heaven!
k701smile.gif

Mar 19, 2010 at 8:57 PM Post #2 of 78
Both. You (along with everyone else on this forum) have gained something great in terms of audio bliss, but we've all lost lots of money and time to this hobby. I don't regret it at all, though it certainly has its drawbacks.

And I think its time for you to get into the lower depths of Head-Fi now.

In other words, DIY.
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

Mar 19, 2010 at 9:16 PM Post #4 of 78
Head-Fi , Its all your fault!!!!
You are creating monsters!!! Broke monsters with over-used credit cards!!!
We are the crackheads of the audio world!!!

Enjoy the euphoria while you can afford it.
And please buy a good portable system and a solar charger while you can, because soon you will lose your home and will be living in the street where you will not have electricity to run your home system.

smily_headphones1.gif

Welcome to Head-Fi , and sorry about your wallet!!!

Mar 19, 2010 at 9:47 PM Post #5 of 78
Thanx for the warm welcome into the dark art of Head-Fi.

On occasion, I do eat and this guy on Discovery Channel says you can eat almost anything in nature. And I could sleep under a few branches. So finances settled then.

I feel as if I've stumbled into some secretive group of sound purists yet unkown to the avarege hi-fi dewd. I mean I had to drive 2 hours to sample a Heed Canamp and the Graham Slee Solo. Because there is only 1 shop in holland that specializes on head-fi. 1 shop.

But I am enyoing the K701 and Graham Slee Solo a great deal.

It's satisfying to know that I would never consider investing in sound this good from a set of speakers + amp. But now, in detail and air at least, it's up for grabs.

Mar 19, 2010 at 10:31 PM Post #8 of 78
I'm sorry guys but I love headfi.org
This website made my decisions in headphone world easier and better.
And I gained lots of information about headphones.
Congratulations headfi.org!

Mar 19, 2010 at 10:41 PM Post #9 of 78
Both!
* Praise it for making you aware of headphone amplifiers, hence taking your headphone listening another step.
* Curse it for making your wallet potentially cry.

Mar 19, 2010 at 10:46 PM Post #10 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by VALIENTE /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm sorry guys but I love headfi.org
This website made my decisions in headphone world easier and better.
And I gained lots of information about headphones.
Congratulations headfi.org!

Dude, you're running a K701 off a cheap amp. Punch yourself in the nads for saying that. I don't want to be associated with you.

Mar 19, 2010 at 11:02 PM Post #12 of 78
Praise
Yes, the headphone amps solved something I thought not possible. Clarity, volume, insight, detail without harshnes. I could spend a lot more on trying to get my hi fi to sound like this.

Curse
I went out with 150 euro's in mind. Because of Head-Fi I spent more than I dare whisper even to close hi fi friends. I shall be ridiculed and tossed in a mental institution. Who in their right mind spends over 1000 euro's on a headphone set?

But I already love this sound too much. And here among Head-Fi ers I'm not mad, I'm barely scraping the surface wahahah
beerchug.gif

Oh and AKG K701 of a portable: no, no, no. Did that for 5 minutes and the portable begged for mercy, the AKG's were offended and played tricks on my hearing.
biggrin.gif
No seriously, if it rocks for you that's the only truth.

Mar 20, 2010 at 1:43 AM Post #13 of 78
It sounds like your singing its praises. Your wallet on the other hand is muttering things in a corner that cant be repeated on these forums.
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back