Currently using AKG K702 anniversaries, what would be a good upgrade?
Apr 19, 2014 at 11:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Dimension

New Head-Fier
I am specifically looking for another pair of headphones. I've heard the hd800's are comparable with these ones so I was considering that but for audio production I find the open backs are much suitable for non-coloration. Perhaps any of you might have similar experience of switching from K702's?

Apr 19, 2014 at 11:43 PM Post #2 of 9
HD800 would be the natural upgrade from K702.

If you're looking for a closed model with many of the same characteristics, to my surprise, KNS8400 has the same crisp treble and clarity with even more resolution but a much smaller soundstage. The stock cable bears noise though, but it's detachable and can be easily replaced.

Apr 20, 2014 at 12:18 AM Post #4 of 9
Have you done this upgrade? Or owned either pair? How the sound stage is in comparison?

I borrowed an HD800 for three months whilst a close friend was on summer holiday, and I owned the KRK for a month last autumn.

HD800 has a much larger and somewhat more accurate soundstage. It has the best soundstage, and if I listened to more orchestral music, I'd have bought it.

The KRK has an average soundstage--don't expect to be wowed. I mentioned it because of the other similarities to K702 and it's closed so it can be used for monitoring.

Apr 20, 2014 at 6:19 AM Post #5 of 9
Hello,

IMO, the K702 Ann is a great pair of headphone. If you wish to upgrade, I'd say HD800. Keep in kind the picky amp nature of HD800 though.

Is there anything you wish to keep and what not to in the Annie?

Hope it helps
Billson :)

Apr 20, 2014 at 6:56 AM Post #6 of 9
Thats a good question! I guess id be looking for a better stereo image, I know it's something perceived but anything more effective for helping it would be what Im looking for. I came from closed backs DT770 pros and Im never going back so im just seeing if perhaps I may find something that will keep me in the forward direction as I am not one to cling onto my hardware as I feel the more hardware you experience the more beneficial? (I know thats subjective haha).

So yeah.. Anything wider is good to me. Im noticing hi hats are far on the sides but maybe theres something that is more wholeful? (I understand its a matter of how songs a mixed.

Im very impressed by these headphones but I haven't had much experience as I started with shure 840 then to dt770 and now to these

Apr 20, 2014 at 7:28 AM Post #7 of 9
Just go for speaker xP I mean seriously~ the Annie offer great great soundstage and imaging! You can look into the H6 which I find it to have better left and right separation. Soundstage is slightly narrowed, so slightly but other than that, they are pretty similar but I haven't done a proper A/B test though.

The Sennheiser HD650 have great imaging too but speaker may meet suit you better :)

Apr 20, 2014 at 1:56 PM Post #8 of 9
Skip the upgrade and spend your money on a nice new DAC or amp! That's what I would do.

Or get something that's a little different sounding just for fun.

I still wonder if i'd like the HE-400...

To me the modded Q701 isn't dramatically different than my HD-650(!).

Apr 20, 2014 at 3:18 PM Post #9 of 9
I did the K702 to HD800 upgrade.  Then I got rid of my K702.  The HD800 are amazing in just about every way, including a nice spacious sound stage & amazing stereo imaging.  I feel as though they'd be good for what you're looking for, as long as you're feeding them with a decently good source/amp  (I use a AMB Gamma2 DAC and LittleDot Mkiii with Tung-Sol tubes and I couldn't ask for anything better) 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back