Currently Available DAPs?
Jun 23, 2013 at 11:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

bcarr112281

100+ Head-Fier
Hello, all -

I'm new to Head-Fi, so please be gentle with me. :)

Head-Fi's DAP section contains a wonderfully comprehensive catalog of players; unfortunately, much of it seems not to be current. I find it frustrating that there's apparently no way to sort the list according to a device's availability on the market. Am I wrong? How else can I determine which DAPs are presently available?

Thanks,
Brian

Jun 24, 2013 at 6:48 AM Post #2 of 15
Would google search on following brands help?

ibasso, iriver, astell & kern, sony, cowon, Fiio, ipod, hifiman, acoustic research, colorfly, ihifi960

Jun 25, 2013 at 10:00 PM Post #3 of 15
Hi, CosmicHolyGohst -

Actually, your reply itself was helpful. I hadn't heard about Fiio's DAP; it's now at the top of my list.

Unfortunately, it's not truly a solution, is it? After all, there are other options too, such as the Clip Zip or the Tera-Player. Indeed, even a company's own site may not be up-to-date. Cowon still lists the J3 (now discontinued), and Acoustic Research has no information on the ARM1. As such, I think it would be terrific if Head-Fi--or a Head-Fi user--constantly updated the database according to availability.

Thanks for reading! :)

Regards,
Brian

P.S. What is Cowon's latest player, anyway?

Jun 25, 2013 at 11:59 PM Post #4 of 15
Yeah, an online database will be really helpful with table comparisons between different products.

Jun 27, 2013 at 9:59 PM Post #5 of 15
Get a 4GB Clip Zip and Rockbox it. Add a class 4  32GB micro SDHC card. It will be the best $55 you will ever spend on Audio equipment.

Jun 28, 2013 at 12:49 AM Post #6 of 15
Hi, JK1 -

I had an 8 GB Clip+ with Rockbox installed, along with a 32 GB micro-SD card. I'm sorry to say I hated it. The fault was partly mine: As a naive newcomer, I didn't understand I was using headphones the Clip+ couldn't drive adequately. (Regardless, I always found the screen too small to be usable.)

I started having genuine problems after several months intermittent use. First came the sudden failure of the SD card, which inexplicably went bad, erasing all its contents. Soon I noticed the player's battery would no longer hold a charge. Since the unit was just past warranty, I decided simply to toss it, a choice I don't regret.

~Brian

Jun 28, 2013 at 7:21 AM Post #7 of 15
Quote:
Hi, JK1 -

I had an 8 GB Clip+ with Rockbox installed, along with a 32 GB micro-SD card. I'm sorry to say I hated it. The fault was partly mine: As a naive newcomer, I didn't understand I was using headphones the Clip+ couldn't drive adequately. (Regardless, I always found the screen too small to be usable.)

I started having genuine problems after several months intermittent use. First came the sudden failure of the SD card, which inexplicably went bad, erasing all its contents. Soon I noticed the player's battery would no longer hold a charge. Since the unit was just past warranty, I decided simply to toss it, a choice I don't regret.

~Brian

The Clip Zip has a larger screen than the Clip+. If you use a suitable headphone or earphone the clip players are great. They work best with a headphone or earphone between 12 and 32 ohms and over 100 db/mw(over 104 db/mw is even better). I have a few Clip+ and Clip Zip players. I never had a problem with any of them. The Clip players work best with high quality class 4 microSDHC cards. Since Sandisk cards are pretty much the same price as other high quality brands, I suggest choosing a Sandisk class 4 card. There are some compatibility issues with some cards faster than class 4 and the Sandisk Clip+ or Clip Zip. Choose a Sandisk class 4 card(ideally a retail package sealed one from a reliable dealer to avoid fake or defective cards).

Jun 28, 2013 at 11:59 AM Post #8 of 15
Thanks, JK1 -

Which 'phones do you use with your Zip? I'd been considering a high-end set from Westone, but I find it hard to justify pairing $400 IEMs with a $40 player.

Smiles,
Brian

Jun 28, 2013 at 1:52 PM Post #9 of 15
Some people do use an IEM that costs $400 or more with their Clip+ or Clip Zip.  I use much cheaper IEMs such as the Panasonic RP-HJE450 and the JVC HA-FX40, or earbuds like the Sennheiser MX580.  I don't know if you heard the JVC HA-FX40 IEM, but for $15 it is extremely impressive. It does need plenty of burn in though, and isn't good right out of the box.

Jun 29, 2013 at 8:53 PM Post #10 of 15
Thanks for the suggestions, JK1; I'll definitely consider them.

As an aside, I suggest avoiding SanDisk memory cards. I know SanDisk once ranked among the best flash memory producers. No longer--their standards have apparently plummeted in recent years. As an example, a search for "micro sdhc problems" reveals that my own experiences are far from unique. Currently, it's Lexar that's in good repute. You might also consider Transcend.

Thanks,
Brian 

Jun 29, 2013 at 10:38 PM Post #11 of 15
Sandisk cards are still good, but there are many fakes around. Buy only retail packaged Sandisk cards from an authorized dealer. There are plenty of loose Sandisk cards that are problematic. They are either fake or defective. Sealed retail package Sandisk cards from an authorized Sandisk dealer are fine though.

Lexar cards were always good, as were Micron. Now Lexar is part of Micron, but they sell cards under both names.

Transcend cards are good.

Jun 29, 2013 at 10:38 PM Post #12 of 15
Quote:
Thanks for the suggestions, JK1; I'll definitely consider them.

As an aside, I suggest avoiding SanDisk memory cards. I know SanDisk once ranked among the best flash memory producers. No longer--their standards have apparently plummeted in recent years. As an example, a search for "micro sdhc problems" reveals that my own experiences are far from unique. Currently, it's Lexar that's in good repute. You might also consider Transcend.

Thanks,
Brian 

I've never had any trouble with any of the SanDisk memory cards I have had over the last six years. I have heard of people with Sansa players having trouble with Class 10 cards (of any brand)  which can be avoided by using Rockbox.
 My former  Class 2 and current Class 4 cards have all worked just fine in whatever I put them in.

Jun 30, 2013 at 1:38 AM Post #13 of 15
Quote:
There are plenty of loose Sandisk cards that are problematic. They are either fake or defective. Sealed retail package Sandisk cards from an authorized Sandisk dealer are fine though.

I bought my SanDisk card from Radio Shack. It was sealed and brand-new, and undoubtedly genuine.

Quote:
My former  Class 2 and current Class 4 cards have all worked just fine in whatever I put them in.

Yes, the older cards were apparently more reliable than those SanDisk currently offers.

Jun 30, 2013 at 9:39 AM Post #14 of 15
Every brand has a small percentage of defective cards. Getting one bad card isn't statistically significant. If you told me that you bought 10 cards from 10 different places and at least 3 were bad that would mean something. Sometimes a good manufacturer even lets a bad batch slip out, although mostly it is just a bad card here or there. You should have been able to exchange the bad card at the store you bought it at for a replacement.

Jun 30, 2013 at 12:23 PM Post #15 of 15
Quote:
Every brand has a small percentage of defective cards. Getting one bad card isn't statistically significant. If you told me that you bought 10 cards from 10 different places and at least 3 were bad that would mean something. Sometimes a good manufacturer even lets a bad batch slip out, although mostly it is just a bad card here or there. You should have been able to exchange the bad card at the store you bought it at for a replacement.

JK1,

I agree with you--your points are entirely valid. But remember that old idiom: "Don't take my word for it." Why not do your own research?

Thanks,
Brian

Users who are viewing this thread

Back