Current recommendations for portable Amp/DACs in the US$ 300 - 400 range
Jan 26, 2023 at 7:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

totuus

New Head-Fier
Hello folks, I've read a number of reviews both here and widely online, about amp/DACs for mobile use that make finding a unit other than the apparently gorgeous Mojo2, rather less hopeful. Can anyone just pop out some names of combined DAC-amps for mobile use that they really like, that are sub-$1000 and still sound as good as possible? "Portable", for me, is a more flexible term - I'm happier toting around a small desktop unit where others wouldn't be.

Just asking for names that people like, I don't ask for folks to do any reviews for me unless they want to, that's my job to find. Just trying to find some names other than AudioQuest Cobalt and similars, which I had hopes for (my Canadian price range for mobile would be C$300 to 500) but the Cobalt seems to not review very well from a lot of different people. My home gear is a Gungnir-Mjolnir combo with Senn HD8s and now the Valhalla 2. Cheers!

Jan 26, 2023 at 7:45 PM Post #2 of 5
As far as USB Dongle goes, both L&P W2 (as well as W2-131) and Quloos QLS MC-01 will be on the top of my list of recommendation. If you are willing to trade some technicality for musicality, Cayin RU6 (R-2R based) is also a good choice Paired with a good smartphone, these USB Dongle can easily replaced most mid-range DAP.

Jan 26, 2023 at 8:26 PM Post #3 of 5
As far as USB Dongle goes, both L&P W2 (as well as W2-131) and Quloos QLS MC-01 will be on the top of my list of recommendation. If you are willing to trade some technicality for musicality, Cayin RU6 (R-2R based) is also a good choice Paired with a good smartphone, these USB Dongle can easily replaced most mid-range DAP.
Thank you ClieOS, will look at those. Can you comment on the slightly larger Earmen TR-Amp? It seems well accepted, I've now discovered.

Jan 26, 2023 at 8:41 PM Post #4 of 5
Thank you ClieOS, will look at those. Can you comment on the slightly larger Earmen TR-Amp? It seems well accepted, I've now discovered.
Can't help you there. I have given up on full sized portable DAC/amp as I almost only stick to USB dongle these days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back