Curious if anyone has used the Behringer FCA202 as their DAC?
Jul 24, 2012 at 10:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

No Disc

100+ Head-Fier

I got one of these upon the suggestion from someone in Pro Audio many years ago, at the time, I was wanting to get the Weiss FireWire DAC, but for about $30 for a used Behringer, why wouldn't I give it a try.  I was very glad I did, because when setup correctly, it produced a better sound than all the CD and SACD players I had the past, including two highly modified SACD players.  (http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue6/stock.htm)  so I sold all my CD and SACD players and never looked back. I was so pleased with the results, I haven't really attempted to pursue anything else. I'm using a Mac Pro running Audirvana Plus though firewire into the FCA202, then into my tube preamp. 

Now I'm getting curious if investing in a better DAC would bring me better sound.  Doing a little digging yielded this post (http://www.head-fi.org/t/146703/short-review-behringer-fca202) where he identified what he thought was the DAC in use in the little behringer.  It appears this uses the Cirrus CS5340, specs are listed here. (http://www.cirrus.com/en/products/cs5340.html).

I'm not sure why I didn't consider a replacement DAC before now, because I do akin a DAC in the digital world, to the Phono Cartridge of the Analog world.  If the sound isn't there in the beginning, it won't be there in the end.  There is a good book, written by Robert Harley, "The complete guide to High-end Audio", a good read by the way, and in that book, I believe I recall that he mentioned that putting together a well done audio system, you should spend 30-40% of your budget on the front end, meaning the CD player or the Turntable, so If follow that rule, I should be investing in a better DAC.  Well, I have my sights on the Audio GD Ref 7, or the Red Wine unit, so I think I will know my answer soon enough. I was just wondering if someone remembers this Behringer unit and upgraded and said wow, now I know what I was missing... 

Dec 22, 2012 at 12:08 PM Post #2 of 3
Hi there, 

Fisrtly, I must admit that I have a similar conundrum!
I have just finalised my acquisition of components for a nice retro style hifi. (List of components at bottom of message).
So, I have also a Behringer FCA 202 knocking around, and was happy to know it could used for a DAC for this new system? 
Do you have any particular parameters for the unit to work? 

I have also been looking into a Cambridge Audio DACMAGIC PLUS, but wasn't sure how to justify the expense to the other half!! 5(500€ over here).
I find that the newer units have a higher bitrate (upto 192kHz) This and the facility to connect to more iOS components etc.

Don't know if that's any help, but I would be interested to know how technical it is to set up the Behringer to a hifi!!

Lozzeroony

List of Components:
naim audio nac72
naim audio nap ????
the famous behringer unit
and a pair of Celestion Ditton 15XR speakers!!
A bunch of cables that cost the earth!!

Only problem is; all of this is at my parents' house in the UK so I have to wait tim the 29th December to go play with it all!!

Dec 25, 2012 at 5:00 PM Post #3 of 3
I use the Macintosh > Firewire > Behringer unbalanced out > 1//4 inch to RCA adapter > Unbalanced RCA input to preamp

http://www.amazon.com/Planet-Waves-Adapter-Male-Female/dp/B0002GZLWE

Hi there, 

Fisrtly, I must admit that I have a similar conundrum!
I have just finalised my acquisition of components for a nice retro style hifi. (List of components at bottom of message).
So, I have also a Behringer FCA 202 knocking around, and was happy to know it could used for a DAC for this new system? 
Do you have any particular parameters for the unit to work? 

I have also been looking into a Cambridge Audio DACMAGIC PLUS, but wasn't sure how to justify the expense to the other half!! 5(500€ over here).
I find that the newer units have a higher bitrate (upto 192kHz) This and the facility to connect to more iOS components etc.

Don't know if that's any help, but I would be interested to know how technical it is to set up the Behringer to a hifi!!

Lozzeroony

List of Components:
naim audio nac72
naim audio nap ????
the famous behringer unit
and a pair of Celestion Ditton 15XR speakers!!
A bunch of cables that cost the earth!!

Only problem is; all of this is at my parents' house in the UK so I have to wait tim the 29th December to go play with it all!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back