CRT Monitor looks greenish, is there a way to fix it?
Sep 28, 2008 at 10:38 PM Post #31 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But watching 720p footage on a 1920x1200 LCD is not nearly as sharp as on a native 1280x720 LCD. DVD's? Even worse. Unless you have a Faroudja upscaler built in, that is. There is a Gateway monitor that has one built in, and is supposed to look fantastic.

A) I already mentioned owning this part, and currently the XHD3000 is the only LCD in its size (or near its size) that ships with video scaling built in, some smaller 22's or 24's may have scaling, but it isn't HT grade usually, its an inexpensive processor, and none of the 26's, 27's, or 28's that I've seen offer anything like this

B) it is NOT foroudja, there are better alternatives, namely, the gateway uses HQV Realta from Silicon Optix, which is VASTLY superior to Faroudja imho (i've seen both, I own the one with HQV)

C) it looks fine for 480i playback, DVDs from 480p look pretty decent, 720p looks a bit less than it should, but anything from there up looks proper (1200p looks stunning, as does 1600p)

Sep 29, 2008 at 12:36 AM Post #33 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by coredump /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I thought it had been discontinued.

good point, there are not many good CRTs being made anymore, the trinitron factory shut down or was converted a while ago, I bought this one refurbished from http://www.accurateit.com/home.asp
it was made in 2002 and I acquired it a little over a year ago.

Sep 29, 2008 at 1:58 AM Post #34 of 44
I considered buying a used FW900 a couple years ago as well. However I got my Diamondtron used and it only lasted 2 years so that swayed me to buy new. If they had still been making new Trinitrons or Diamondtron I might have got one.

Sep 29, 2008 at 7:56 AM Post #35 of 44
For the OP:

I have a CRT where the colours went dodgy about 1 week out of the warranty. Typical.

Anyway, assuming you've ruled out external connections and cables, check the RGB connections to the tube. Take off the case (be careful, high voltage, fragile etc.). It should be fairly obvious which are the RGB connectors into the back of the tube. I simply unplugged them, gave them a quick clean and put everything back together. Fixed it. Job done.

Sep 29, 2008 at 12:18 PM Post #36 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by baneat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nooo.. You're taking the same stance that the average person would take. People think vinyl is obsolete because it's bigger, when actually it is of higher quality... Oh, look, a CRT is bigger, and yes, the picture is of a higher quality!

What is going on.

i said Vinyl is NOT obsolete.. its Classic.

when did i say Vinyl is obsolete?

Sep 29, 2008 at 1:28 PM Post #37 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nocturnal310 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What is going on.

i said Vinyl is NOT obsolete.. its Classic.

when did i say Vinyl is obsolete?

You are not getting the point.

Vinyl and CRTs have gone through the same situation, that is being superseded by newer technologies (despite their inherent hard qualities). They are both obsolete in the grand scheme of things. From a typical audiophile's perception, the long-gone vinyl is a classic. CRT was still current technology just a few years ago and many of them are still actively used at homes & offices. They are just obsolete. For now. They will be classic once they become rare in the decades to come.

Read all previous posts again, ponder them and you will understand better.

Regards.

Oct 1, 2008 at 6:47 PM Post #38 of 44
Whoa, never expected this thread to became a debate between CRT and LCD. I'm buying the Sony FW900 because it is the best CRT available and cheap (buy it used for $140) I have to drive to Connecticut to pick it up though. It's huge, heavy (once I put it down, I need help to pick it up) but the color seems better now after I did what Zorander told me (Thank's Zorander)

The only thing bothers me, it seems this monitor needs to warm up to show its color, because if I have turn it off and turn it on the next day, at first it looks green. Is this normal?
I'll have a spyder to recalibrate this monitor soon, just ordered it from amazon yesterday.

Oct 1, 2008 at 7:23 PM Post #39 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by RYCeT /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The only thing bothers me, it seems this monitor needs to warm up to show its color, because if I have turn it off and turn it on the next day, at first it looks green. Is this normal?
I'll have a spyder to recalibrate this monitor soon, just ordered it from amazon yesterday.

yeah it was with my FW900 greenish dusty haze, took a good five minutes to normalize itself, now its consigned to the scrap heap, i may try doing what was suggested before binning it actually.

watch your back, i lifted it down from my desk after it went the other day and wished i had simply asked for help!
angry_face.gif

Oct 2, 2008 at 1:30 AM Post #40 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by RYCeT /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Yeah, I think it is, at least that has been the case with mine. I just leave it on all the time so I don't have to deal with it. Another trick with "color return" or whatever its called on yours, turn up your brightness higher than you would have normally before you do it, sometimes my color ends up a bit off even after running it so I do it a couple more times until I'm happy with the result.

enjoy that sweet screen.
wink.gif

Oct 2, 2008 at 1:36 AM Post #41 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Quaddy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yeah it was with my FW900 greenish dusty haze, took a good five minutes to normalize itself, now its consigned to the scrap heap, i may try doing what was suggested before binning it actually.

watch your back, i lifted it down from my desk after it went the other day and wished i had simply asked for help!
angry_face.gif

Does it happen only when you turn it off and then on, or does it also occur every time it gets out of stand-by mode?

Oct 2, 2008 at 8:43 AM Post #42 of 44
both, it takes a lot longer when it was off from cold, ie overnight

and has the same affect when coming out of standby mode from a while, but its not as prolonged and dramatic, it used to normalize quite quickly out of standby

Oct 2, 2008 at 9:58 AM Post #43 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Quaddy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
both, it takes a lot longer when it was off from cold, ie overnight

and has the same affect when coming out of standby mode from a while, but its not as prolonged and dramatic, it used to normalize quite quickly out of standby

It must have something to do with tube warm-up. I read about it prior to my purchasing my G420. I observed nothing of that sort but apparently it applies to the FW900.

Oct 6, 2008 at 4:02 AM Post #44 of 44
Bah, I must have jinxed my Trinitron.. its starting to go.
triportsad.gif

last night after several failed attempts to install ubuntu (a lot of resolution switching and having the screen off for a while) some popping sounds were heard and the screen flashed bright green scanlines, then a loud buzz while displaying a brilliant white light gradient into a beautiful solid pink and purple core for several seconds before shutting down.. zapping and flashing had me shielding my face and bracing for explosion several times but I couldn't bring myself to switch it off and miss the show..

after turning it back on it worked but was way out of focus with a very annoying green overcast (much worse than warm up).. I adjusted both focus screws and wow, it's lcd crisp now, much better than before but the green overcast was still there so I reduced green brightness to 0%, now its perfect.

I'm sure it's going to go completely very soon.. does anyone else have a reliable source to share aside from AccurateIT? Their stocks seem to be dwindling....
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back